Early Non-conference scheduling thoughts

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Early Non-conference scheduling thoughts

Postby sarp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Maybe the new conference could do relegation like English Soccer. The team that comes in last place gets relegated to Conference USA! Sure would add some excitement to the teams playing at the bottom of the conference!
sarp

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jimijon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:18 am

i agree that it should be written in the charter that at the very minimum teams are required to play a top 100 schedule. The image of the conference is the main recruiting tool and must be protected.
With the mentioned names, 7 plus Xavier Butler and one more this would not seem to be a problem with at least 7 of the 10. OOC scheduling of a lot of top 50 teams is a must to keep the conference RPI as high as possible. Although this will be one heck of a tough conference from top to bottom with teams beating up on each other relentlessly, 4 NCAA bids a year will probably be the minimum for any given year.
jimijon

Postby butlerguy03 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm

yorost wrote:That seems pretty rough. I can't imagine punishing members is a good policy for a conference.

Especially if you're a team that finishes 101 and runs through your conference tournament and wins a first round game in the NCAA. No shares, no way.

Also, why so arbitrary? A player's injury could make a team fall from 75 to 110 with just a few losses. Pretty bad idea to punish teams for injuries, etc.
butlerguy03

Postby QueRico » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 pm

A PAC12 Challenge would be great exposure across the country w/ the new brand. Particuarly if both conferences are signed to Fox. They will promote the bejeezus out of it. I don't think generating animosity amongst your members via the threat of relegation is appropriate. I do believe that the OOC schedules will be of the utmost importance. I was looking forward to playing Memphis & Temple annually, but that ain't happening now. C'est la vie. Hopefully former BE teams will still be scheduled, but people are funny (& not always in a good way).
QueRico

Postby LabRatScott » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 pm

James wrote:I can see us (St John's) having Syracuse and Notre Dame at MSG. Part of me doesn't like the idea of letting them back into NYC but another part would miss playing 'Cuse especially. I think we'll still be playing Duke too.

Way to go Nostradamus.

NEW YORK -- St. John's and Syracuse aren't done playing hoops against each other.
The two schools announced Wednesday that they will play a home-and-home men's basketball series in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons. The Red Storm will host the Orange at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 15, 2013. The date at the Carrier Dome the following season is yet to be determined.
LabRatScott

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board