Can we agree on Xavier, Butler, and Creighton

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Dew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm

If we go to 10 it's got to be Xavier, Butler, and Creighton right? Dayton and SLU don't do much for me or for the C7 I'd guess. Unless Gonzaga is in the mix, I'd say those three are the best choices.
Dew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Can we agree on Xavier, Butler, and Creighton

Postby BigAnt2191 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm

I can certainly agree with Butler, Xavier and Creighton. However, I also want to add VCU and Gonzaga for a 12 team conference. This will easily make the Big East Conference as one of the best Basketball conferences in the Nation!
BigAnt2191

Postby Burrito » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:23 pm

Xavier, Butler, Creighton, VCU and Gonzaga would be my favorite five. If Gonzaga doesn't work out, then add either St. Louis or Dayton
Burrito

Postby Vcuboy22 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 pm

O so now u guys are rooting gor vcu hmmm
Vcuboy22

Postby BigAnt2191 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Actually, I wouldn't mind havimg UNLV to pair with Gonzaga instead of VCU. However, since that might not happen, I rather go with VCU any day over Dayton and St. Louis
BigAnt2191

Postby billyjack » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:52 am

BigAnt2191 wrote:Actually, I wouldn't mind havimg UNLV to pair with Gonzaga instead of VCU. However, since that might not happen, I rather go with VCU any day over Dayton and St. Louis

Any school with a FBS football team should be off the table. That should remove UNLV and BYU from consideration. Both Saint Louis and VCU would be great adds. If we were considering 13 teams then they could both join.

With Gonzaga, we're almost better off working to help the WCC improve their programs (to compete with the Pac-12) and put together a future partnership. Maybe start with Thanksgiving and Christmas mini tourneys. Jump start the old Cable Car Classic with San Francisco and other WCC's. The WCC has a presence every Pacific coast metro area. San Diego, 2 in Los Angeles, 3 in SF-Oak-San Jose metro (4 once Pacific joins), Portland... plus Salt Lake (WCC can live with BYU football I guess) and Gonzaga (which has play in Seattle).
billyjack

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 am

billyjack wrote:
BigAnt2191 wrote:Actually, I wouldn't mind havimg UNLV to pair with Gonzaga instead of VCU. However, since that might not happen, I rather go with VCU any day over Dayton and St. Louis

Any school with a FBS football team should be off the table. That should remove UNLV and BYU from consideration. Both Saint Louis and VCU would be great adds. If we were considering 13 teams then they could both join.

With Gonzaga, we're almost better off working to help the WCC improve their programs (to compete with the Pac-12) and put together a future partnership. Maybe start with Thanksgiving and Christmas mini tourneys. Jump start the old Cable Car Classic with San Francisco and other WCC's. The WCC has a presence every Pacific coast metro area. San Diego, 2 in Los Angeles, 3 in SF-Oak-San Jose metro (4 once Pacific joins), Portland... plus Salt Lake (WCC can live with BYU football I guess) and Gonzaga (which has play in Seattle).

Problem is, the WCC is nothing w/o Gonzaga. Doing a series w/them like a "challenge" would look very mid-major. Most of them play in small high school gyms.
Jet915

Postby ljay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 am

Three time zone difference is problematic. I work with a west coast based company and when I'm home and having my dinner my cell phone is still binging away with messages.

While Big East games are tipping off at 7 EST, it is 4 in California.

I stayed up watching Washington vs Cal last night and i'm a mess this morning.
ljay

Postby novajoe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Zags have a great program...but they don't belong in the BE...or what it is going to be called....Too far and the market does brig much to the party.....
novajoe

Postby Xudash » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Frankly, I believe X, Butler and Creighton make the most sense, but I've read - I believe from a Providence source with a family connection to one of the C7 schools - that it's X, Butler and Dayton.

It seems, based on that information, given the certainty with which it has been presented, that the discussion should center around Creighton v. UD, especially if this thing is heading towards a 10 program line-up. If it's to be 12 programs, then it most likely is a moot point, unless recent stuff about VCU gaining in strength has real traction.

Isn't this fun?
Xudash

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board