Can we agree on Xavier, Butler, and Creighton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Can we agree on Xavier, Butler, and Creighton

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 am

yorost wrote:LaSalle isn't going to hurt Butler too much. They're not having a bad season. Drake isn't good, though. So many poor teams in the MVC it's hard not to pick up a bad loss in conference play. That's been nice having Marquette in the Big East after C-USA, not many chances to pick up sub-100 rpi losses.

Yeah, that is the hope. The bottom feeders of this C7 league like Depaul will not be as damaging as the bottom feeders in the MVC.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby xman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:58 am

Jet915 wrote:
yorost wrote:LaSalle isn't going to hurt Butler too much. They're not having a bad season. Drake isn't good, though. So many poor teams in the MVC it's hard not to pick up a bad loss in conference play. That's been nice having Marquette in the Big East after C-USA, not many chances to pick up sub-100 rpi losses.

Yeah, that is the hope. The bottom feeders of this C7 league like Depaul will not be as damaging as the bottom feeders in the MVC.

In a true mid-major league which the C7 will not be, a couple of bad road losses can really kill NCAA chances.
xman

Postby ChiFlyer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 am

LaSalle was favored by 2.5 points. It's not a bad loss or an upset for Butler. Oh yeah, Butler was also missing their best player! LaSalle is a bubble team for the NCAA. They have a 33 RPI and Drake is at 145. Completely different losses.
ChiFlyer

Postby jkc_dawgs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 am

ChiFlyer wrote:LaSalle was favored by 2.5 points. It's not a bad loss or an upset for Butler. Oh yeah, Butler was also missing their best player! LaSalle is a bubble team for the NCAA. They have a 33 RPI and Drake is at 145. Completely different losses.

+1

Go Dawgs!
jkc_dawgs

Postby Edrick » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 am

Butler's RPI actually went up last week by a few points.

They stayed 9th in the country because I think voters were more interested in how they took temple behind the woodshed on Saturday after getting back to full strength
Edrick

Postby XU85 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:15 pm

This is the first I have seen anyone mentioning new conference starting with 10 teams since the initial discussions:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... point-shot
XU85

Postby Hoya » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:57 pm

XU85 wrote:This is the first I have seen anyone mentioning new conference starting with 10 teams since the initial discussions:

I'm missing it somewhere. Not sure what you're referring to.
Hoya

Postby XU85 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Hoya wrote:
XU85 wrote:This is the first I have seen anyone mentioning new conference starting with 10 teams since the initial discussions:

I'm missing it somewhere. Not sure what you're referring to.

It's in the second paragraph.
XU85

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Yikes, that is pretty strong commentary from Katz... is he really just using his own power to try and influence the C7 toward Richmond??? Really? Don't know his personal history, did he go to Richmond or somtehing? Never heard Richmond in there but it sure would piss off GTown and VCU Fans... Discuss?
whiteandblue77

Postby SixTwentySix » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

I posted this in another thread about Richmond, but here it is again since it applies...

"As a Nova fan I'd like to see Xavier, Butler, St Louis, Creighton, and Richmond. This makes 6 in the east and 6 in the midwest. If Dayton is a must for the C7, drop Creighton. There's all this talk about VCU, but I'm just not seeing it.

One thing people need to consider is basketball may be at the forefront of all of this, but it's not 100% of it. The AD's and Presidents at each school have a lot to weigh and a lot to consider. For example lacrosse. It may not be big across the country, but it's relevant in the Big East. The C7 currently have 5 lacrosse schools. They need 6 to retain an automatic qualifier. Xavier, Butler, SLU, Creighton, and VCU don't have lacrosse, but you know who does? Richmond.

Richmond fits as a like-minded institution. A small, historic, private school with strong academics. And they still offer up a solid basketball program. VCU is an excellent, and better, basketball program... But if the C7 call on the Richmond market, it will be University of Richmond, not VCU.

It's 95% basketball, but it's that last 5% that may end up swaying some of the decisions. Just something to consider."
SixTwentySix

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board