Can we agree on Xavier, Butler, and Creighton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Can we agree on Xavier, Butler, and Creighton

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:It's funny- you look at the adds the Big East made both with the X,Butler, and Creighton adds, but even with the big adds they had made with the old Big East- SMU, Houston, UCF- all 3 have with the improved competition/exposure improved quite a bit. Temple has had a bit of an injury bug but looks to go to the tourney again this year. Really only Memphis from the adds the C7 had a part in hasn't lived up to expectations.

Holy shit...you even managed to make this about your conference. When were SMU, Houston, and UCF part of the Big East?

In addition, you obviously aren't very old. Houston and SMU had their best athletic years when they were part of the Southwest Conference and I am pretty sure they are longing for those days. Imagine a conference now with Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Arkansas (who began the beginning of the end when they bolted to the SEC in 1991). Houston hasn't won a game in the NCAA's since their old Southwest conference days, nor have they had a Heisman winner or really national football prominence since the Southwest conference days. Ditto for SMU (no NCAA tournament wins, no Heisman's, no national football relevance) since the Southwest Conference days.

They were added when the C7 was still in the Big East and the C7 had a big part in those adds. So I'd give the C7 folks some credit with those adds quite frankly. Really only Memphis has come close to flopping in basketball.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:03 am

stever20 wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:It's funny- you look at the adds the Big East made both with the X,Butler, and Creighton adds, but even with the big adds they had made with the old Big East- SMU, Houston, UCF- all 3 have with the improved competition/exposure improved quite a bit. Temple has had a bit of an injury bug but looks to go to the tourney again this year. Really only Memphis from the adds the C7 had a part in hasn't lived up to expectations.

Holy shit...you even managed to make this about your conference. When were SMU, Houston, and UCF part of the Big East?

In addition, you obviously aren't very old. Houston and SMU had their best athletic years when they were part of the Southwest Conference and I am pretty sure they are longing for those days. Imagine a conference now with Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Arkansas (who began the beginning of the end when they bolted to the SEC in 1991). Houston hasn't won a game in the NCAA's since their old Southwest conference days, nor have they had a Heisman winner or really national football prominence since the Southwest conference days. Ditto for SMU (no NCAA tournament wins, no Heisman's, no national football relevance) since the Southwest Conference days.

They were added when the C7 was still in the Big East and the C7 had a big part in those adds. So I'd give the C7 folks some credit with those adds quite frankly. Really only Memphis has come close to flopping in basketball.

"They were added..." to what? This thread is about the additions to the Big East. None of those schools were ever discussed in this thread (or by the C7). The fact that they landed in the conference of misfit athletic departments has little to do with the Big East and everything to do with your conference searching for schools that (1) have football teams and (2) have had any measure of athletic success, even if it was decades ago.
Savannah Jay

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:21 am

You do understand that SMU, Houston, Memphis, Temple, UCF were added to the conference while the C7 was still in it don't you? So yeah, I think the C7 had some part in it.

1 thing that's interesting to think about as a realignment what if. What if the Big Ten had not made it's move to add Maryland and Rutgers. Would the Big East have still split? I don't think so. I really don't think the C7 would have left a group with Louisville, Cincy, Temple, and newcomer Memphis.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 am

It's not too late (only 4 years in) to bring in VCU. We can drop CU or BU and replace the jr corncobbers with VCU. It's not too late, while still protecting the holy Round Robin format. We can do this team.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby milksteak » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:02 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:It's not too late (only 4 years in) to bring in VCU. We can drop CU or BU and replace the jr corncobbers with VCU. It's not too late, while still protecting the holy Round Robin format. We can do this team.

gtmo just suggested dropping Creighton from the Big East.

Just so everyone is clear.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby BEXU » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:16 am

Odd we haven't heard much from our A-10 friends with their abysmal non-con records playing cupcakes. Guess they are giving up on the dream for now.
BEXU

Postby ecasadoSBU » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:30 am

BEXU wrote:Odd we haven't heard much from our A-10 friends with their abysmal non-con records playing cupcakes. Guess they are giving up on the dream for now.

I think the American suffocated whatever good was left of the A10. The Wichita State move cemented the AAC as the more desirable conference. AAC will now be always ahead of the A10. Sucks for the A10. I would've preferred the A10 to be stronger as it is also a Basketball-first conference and would allow the Big East to grow in the future... oh well
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:41 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:
BEXU wrote:Odd we haven't heard much from our A-10 friends with their abysmal non-con records playing cupcakes. Guess they are giving up on the dream for now.

I think the American suffocated whatever good was left of the A10. The Wichita State move cemented the AAC as the more desirable conference. AAC will now be always ahead of the A10. Sucks for the A10. I would've preferred the A10 to be stronger as it is also a Basketball-first conference and would allow the Big East to grow in the future... oh well

The AAC picking up Wichita was a stroke of genius. Them doing it this year, with Wichita being really good, and moreso the A10 with all their coaching changes same year- pretty lucky timing.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board