Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:52 pm

MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Bluejay wrote:I have never heard a recruit mention TV ratings when selecting a school.

I have heard them mention being on TV.

We offer damn near every game for every school on TV. That is all kids really care about.

I think you are kidding yourself if you think they just want to be on TV. A lot of the recruits want to be on ESPN. You and others here continue to want to downplay ESPN, but fact is ESPN is the gold standard. Only 4 of the top 50 recruits have gone to schools that aren't predominantly on ESPN- 3 to the Big East and then 1 to VCU. Only 8 of the top 100- 6 Big East and 2 VCU(and even with them, they are on ESPN some).

He never said "just". Plus, nobody other than you again is talking about ESPN.

He totally inferred that they just want to be on TV and that we offer near every game on TV. And I'm saying that kids not only want to be on TV but they want to be on ESPN TV and that's something that we don't offer them.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUPanther » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:53 pm

I never heard a recruit say that. It's important that their family can watch their games and that is what the "Soul of College Hoops" the Big East Conference gives them thanks to FS1 and CBSSN. The antonyms five gives that and AAC as well, so it's all a wash, in a tiny part of recruiting.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:39 am

MUPanther wrote:I never heard a recruit say that. It's important that their family can watch their games and that is what the "Soul of College Hoops" the Big East Conference gives them thanks to FS1 and CBSSN. The antonyms five gives that and AAC as well, so it's all a wash, in a tiny part of recruiting.

If you think games on FS1 and CBSSN are equal to ESPN- I just don't know what to say. Maybe for the family- but the kids themselves want ESPN. It's the culture that we live in today quite frankly. If you think that's going to change- I think you're pretty much wrong.

And I wouldn't say it's a tiny part of recruiting at all. It's not #1 but it's not minor either.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:48 am

Did I say ESPN is equal to FS1. We have recruits on alot, TV is never talked about in why they pick a school. Give it a rest!
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 am

MUPanther wrote:Did I say ESPN is equal to FS1. We have recruits on alot, TV is never talked about in why they pick a school. Give it a rest!

You said that the family can watch their games that's what FS1 and CBSSN gives them and that the Autonomous 5 and AAC as well so it's all a wash. That statement is inferring that FS1 is equal to ESPN.

TV definitely matters. To act like you are that it's meaningless is comical. Why are so many folks like Ken Pom even mentioning how the conference could use more publicity? That's the issue. And you don't think recruits see that? I think you are giving them WAY too much credit. You can drink the Fox Kool-Aid all you want, but like it or not, it is an issue. We'll see how spring recruiting finishes up for the class of 2015- but this year we have 6 top 100 recruits so far. The AAC had 7. You don't think ESPN has anything to do with that? Hell, UCF got a top 100 recruit! That should tell you everything there.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:03 am

For those that think Big Ten Football is going to be FS1's salvation.....

last year-
ABC 20 games
ESPN's 35 games
Big Ten Network 40 games

now in 2016 when they go to 9 conference games- they will lose about 5 games.... So 90 total...They aren't shaving off any games from the Big Ten Network- that makes them way too much money to do that.... So 50 total. If they do a 50/50 split with ESPN and Fox, that's about 25 games for each network. The thing you wonder with the Big Ten is will they require a hefty number of those games to be on Big Fox- like doing a game of the week similar to what SEC has. If so, that would take it down to about 15 games for FS1- or 1 per week.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:17 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Did I say ESPN is equal to FS1. We have recruits on alot, TV is never talked about in why they pick a school. Give it a rest!

You said that the family can watch their games that's what FS1 and CBSSN gives them and that the Autonomous 5 and AAC as well so it's all a wash. That statement is inferring that FS1 is equal to ESPN.

TV definitely matters. To act like you are that it's meaningless is comical. Why are so many folks like Ken Pom even mentioning how the conference could use more publicity? That's the issue. And you don't think recruits see that? I think you are giving them WAY too much credit. You can drink the Fox Kool-Aid all you want, but like it or not, it is an issue. We'll see how spring recruiting finishes up for the class of 2015- but this year we have 6 top 100 recruits so far. The AAC had 7. You don't think ESPN has anything to do with that? Hell, UCF got a top 100 recruit! That should tell you everything there.

You just don't get it. You clearly don't understand and you add meaning in what people don't say. Give it a rest, PLEASE.
MUPanther

Postby TheBall » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Recruits will like knowing they have games on the fox main station just as much as an occasional espn3 interweb stream

The recruiting results are showing that fs1 is a gold mine for recruiting.

Those player profiles, meet the team segments, player commercials. That's huge.

"Hey, you want a shark attack commercial to air in front of 5 million viewers during the cowboys v seahawks game a few times on a sunday??"

Stever is not thinking straight on this one.
TheBall

Postby TheBall » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:44 am

What is better:

A). Being on espn news and espnu for no money and having jay bilas explain to everyone that his network had to relegate the big east to second tier status because it is not as good as the acc and no marketing or promotional effort

Or

B). Being the top priority on one of the major media distribution companies new venture, a perception of importance, a major marketing and pr campaign, top notch broadcasting crews, lots of money

I think Stever actually would prefer A. I don't get it, but he seems persistent that it would be better to be on espn and let them crap all over us rather than the new venture we have undertaken with fox.

Now, if I were a coach, I would think that option A would be an extremely tough sell. When your media distribution partner is telling everyone you suck, that's tough. But fox is a great sell.

Recruiting pitch A). Hey you want to be on espn news and espn u and listen to jay bilas say you suck?

Recruiting pitch B). Hey, you want every game nationally televised with some fox network games, oh yeah and check out these promotional spots with player profiles, etc...

Does anyone really think pitch A is better than pitch B?

The best thing that ever happened to the ten basketball programs in the big east was fox swooping in and saving us from negative espn propaganda and low ball payouts and lack of respect for our programs.

Fox treats the big east with respect. Espn did not. That's why it was such an easy decision. A little growing pains is worth it. We are done with espn and not looking back, and that's a good thing.
TheBall

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board