Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:37 pm

Omaha1 wrote:I appreciate good dialogue compared to Dayton trolls who just show up with flamethrowers. Thank you for that.

I just can’t imagine Val getting approval from the presidents to add the schools you mentioned. I really don’t think the TV execs are going to pay more for them either. And frankly, fans traveling to MSG is not a problem as the entire BET is sold out every year.

If we expand, it had better not be with programs from the A10. I don’t personally feel as though they enhance the league at all.

I've been on this board for 8 years, maybe back in the day I showed up with a flamethrower but my arguments for VCU joining have remained the same since 2014. No sense in annoying everyone by restating them.

I haven't thought that the Big East needed to expand, but with the P5 conferences going to 16 teams it seems like the Conference might expand just to keep up. Plus, adding more game inventory might increase the upcoming media rights deal.

kayako wrote:Like-minded requirement should start and stop with commitment to basketball. Just kinda wish one of the A10 teams would ascend and go on a run, but honestly they appear to have plateaued.

COVID was really unfortunate for Dayton, and unfortunate for VCU. Dayton likely had a #1 seed when the tournament was cancelled. VCU has been the only program to forfeit an NCAA tournament game due to COVID, ruining Bones Hyland (1st round pick, Nuggets) only chance to play in the NCAAs.

Regardless, it has been pretty disappointing. VCU has had 3 different coaches in the last 8 years which has created a problem w/r/t recruiting. Still reaching the NCAAs but haven't reached the 2nd weekend. Dayton seems to be coming on strong under Anthony Grant, their issue is that Xavier might block them no matter what.
Gopher+RamFan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:40 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:Dayton seems to be coming on strong under Anthony Grant, their issue is that Xavier might block them no matter what.

I severely doubt Xavier can simply block a deserving school. Dayton's problem is with their performance. BE probably wants to see Dayton, VCU, or SLU make a couple of deep runs first.
supernova
kayako

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:01 am

kayako wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:Dayton seems to be coming on strong under Anthony Grant, their issue is that Xavier might block them no matter what.

I severely doubt Xavier can simply block a deserving school. Dayton's problem is with their performance. BE probably wants to see Dayton, VCU, or SLU make a couple of deep runs first.

Can someone remind us what the league rules are on adding schools? Does it have to be a unanimous vote of the school presidents or some super-majority?
ArmyVet

Postby adoraz » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:47 am

I actually do think it's possible now that a Dayton or VCU will be added, simply because other conferences are getting so big that the Big East may be forced to add teams to keep up. We don't want to consistently have the fewest teams dancing every year. The average viewer won't give us a pass if we only get 5 teams in and other conferences get 10 in because they have 18-20 members. They won't consider the fractions and it'd be a bad look for the Big East unless we vastly overachieve every year.

I'm not saying the Big East should go out immediately and add A10 teams, I'm just saying it's a possibility now thanks to ESPN and Fox ruining things.

Another potential option would be a merger with a P5 league, but I don't see that happening.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:18 pm

I don't think Gonzaga is completely off the table for the Big East. Gonzaga is clearly shopping around (and was the party that leaked their talks with the Big 12). The next several weeks will be very telling, especially after the PAC gets their new deal announced. After that, the Big East is the next big conference that is up for a new deal.

If Gonzaga is valued at $8 million for the Big 12, the Big East payout would need to be equal to or greater than that; I think even without Gonzaga (and with the addition of UConn), $8 million per school is not terribly a stretch to imagine. With Gonzaga, that could even push that value higher.

As UCLA/USC has shown, geography is no longer a factor in conference alignment. It is brand, market and viewership (in addition to on-field/on-court success).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Husky_U » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:04 pm

Gonzaga to the Big 12 is a red herring...
Husky_U

Postby Jet915 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:16 pm

Husky_U wrote:Gonzaga to the Big 12 is a red herring...

I hope you are right, if Gonzaga moves which it sounds like they will, I hope it's the Big East.
Jet915

Postby Django » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:20 pm

There’s too many Bulldogs in the Big East and all over the country, but there’s only one Bluejay in D1 baybeee, and we’re flyin HIGH!
Django

Postby Jasper67 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:21 pm

ArmyVet wrote:Can someone remind us what the league rules are on adding schools? Does it have to be a unanimous vote of the school presidents or some super-majority?

75% - which is 9 of the current 11 members
Jasper67

Postby Jasper67 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:33 pm

billyjack wrote:I approved several posts on two threads by "Jasper" without reading too deeply into his commentary. I was intrigued about him maybe being a Manhattan College alum, so i figured i'd give him a shot. Hoping for some inside dope on Steve Masiello, lol.

With Masiello’s recent firing, I actually wish that I could offer some inside door. Despite a visit to the college last week, I haven’t been able to pick up anything on this truly insane move. Lose-Lose for everyone involved all the way around. Bad for the kids. Bad for the Coach. Bad for the College. A real head scratcher.
Jasper67

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board