Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby MUPanther » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:37 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:So tell me Mr. Stever20 what is wrong with my statement that you are taking to the literal lines?

That basically you are making excuses for Fox. There is no way in the world to spin would have been one of the top 10 conference games of the year getting only 127k as a good thing. None. The Fox "exposure" is pathetic. For that night we regressed 22.7% from last season. That's not good.

It's not an excuse for FOX as the viewer is to f---ing stupid to flip away from ESPN family of networks and find FS1. It takes time and hopefully will be added with a deal with the Big Ten to make the basketball side of the network grow. The exposure is fine when every game is on national tv. That's on the viewer if they can't find the channel.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 pm

MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:So tell me Mr. Stever20 what is wrong with my statement that you are taking to the literal lines?

That basically you are making excuses for Fox. There is no way in the world to spin would have been one of the top 10 conference games of the year getting only 127k as a good thing. None. The Fox "exposure" is pathetic. For that night we regressed 22.7% from last season. That's not good.

It's not an excuse for FOX as the viewer is to f---ing stupid to flip away from ESPN family of networks and find FS1. It takes time and hopefully will be added with a deal with the Big Ten to make the basketball side of the network grow. The exposure is fine when every game is on national tv. That's on the viewer if they can't find the channel.

2 things-
1- the year to year comparison is scary. 171k last year to 130k this year. that's not good. Last year the excuse was it's a new network and the conference sucks. Well both of those aren't true this year, yet we're having nights 20%+ worse than last year. Dovetailing on what was supposed to be a great weekend for FS1 with UFC and Nascar.
2- like I've said- the Big Ten isn't a guarantee, and even if the Big Ten comes to FS1- FS1 getting 3-4 games a week isn't going to push them over the top...

And also- I'd rather have 2 ESPN games where we would have gotten 1 million plus over 8 FS1 games getting 125k. Also, not every game is on national tv- had how many games on regional sports networks that not everyone gets or even worse FS2.

And yes, you are making excuses for fox. Oh the idiotic viewers are too stupid to flip away from ESPN. I don't know what to call that other than an excuse.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I might disagree with stever on a lot of s, but he is right about FS1. Val made a big mistake committing to Fox. I don't know if the money we are making offsets the lost of publicity. Just personally, I hate that Big East is pretty much out of the public eye during conference play. Here is to hoping FS1 gets it into overdrive soon.

So, do you want 250k per school like the Atlantic 10? Or a football/basketball 2 million like the AAC and be on ESPNU and ESPN NEWS. I'm glad to be on FS1 with great tv crews and 4 million per school.

I think we could easily have gotten 2 million per school from ESPN. And just stop the idiocy with ESPNU and ESPNews. UConn has been on ESPN and ESPN2 more this year than they were with the Big East.

I would love for you to say "idiocy"to my face. You damm well know what I mean! Uconn is just a handfull of schools and the champ. Most have been on ESPNU and ESPN NEWS.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:47 pm

Cincy has been the same thing. way more with ESPN and ESPN 2 than they ever were with the Big East. Also quite frankly right now, ESPNU and ESPNews are better platforms than FS1 is. That's just reality.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:56 am

Speaking of exposure, i find the exposure during games on ESPN News of empty seats at Houston, Temple and even Gampel Pavilion to be pretty interesting. This exposure on ESPN News has taught me that the prime seats at both Houston and Temple are red, which matches their team colors... while at the same time, East Carolina and UConn have gray empty seats, which does not match their colors. Weird. Thanks "ESPN News" telecasts...!

On a similar note, i like ESPN U football telecasts of Pitt games and Miami (Fla) games. It's cool how the seventy-thousand empty seats at Heinz Field are in "Steelers' yellow" and don't match Pitt's colors, whereas the seventy-thousand empty seats at the Joe Robbie Replacement Stadium are "Dolphins' orange" and they do match both the Hurricanes' orange school colors and also the Hurricanes' alums' and boosters' orange prison jumpsuits like Aaron Hernandez's.

I don't know, i just think that's cool.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:07 am

Fact of the matter is the ratings this year are better than last year for Big East games on FS1. Fact of the matter is that we got more games on FOX this year than last. These are all good things. You can't just pick one game and compare it to one game last year and call being on Fox a failure. Typical stever....
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:00 am

last years Feb games averaged 107.7k viewers per game(not even counting the Georgetown/Michigan St OOC game on 2/1)
this year's Feb games averaged 98.6k viewers per game on FS1.

So the ratings are not better this year than last. Also keep in mind- last year had 28 games, this year from what I saw on the awful announcing site only had 12.

It's just remarkable the fox apologists on here. Fox was a major mistake. We went with $$$ over much more guaranteed exposure. Period.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:04 am

billyjack wrote:Speaking of exposure, i find the exposure during games on ESPN News of empty seats at Houston, Temple and even Gampel Pavilion to be pretty interesting. This exposure on ESPN News has taught me that the prime seats at both Houston and Temple are red, which matches their team colors... while at the same time, East Carolina and UConn have gray empty seats, which does not match their colors. Weird. Thanks "ESPN News" telecasts...!

On a similar note, i like ESPN U football telecasts of Pitt games and Miami (Fla) games. It's cool how the seventy-thousand empty seats at Heinz Field are in "Steelers' yellow" and don't match Pitt's colors, whereas the seventy-thousand empty seats at the Joe Robbie Replacement Stadium are "Dolphins' orange" and they do match both the Hurricanes' orange school colors and also the Hurricanes' alums' and boosters' orange prison jumpsuits like Aaron Hernandez's.

All that tells me is that we would get better slots than the AAC as we have better teams/fanbases.

Besides DePaul, I think every team in our conference has a good to great fanbase.

BE teams that are good for TV.
1. Nova (highly ranked, packs the house)
2. Georgetown (national prestige)
3. St. Johns (MSG)
4. Xavier (Cintas is packed every game, some national prestige)
5. Creighton (16,000 + fans)
6. Providence (Cooley, Dunn and Henton are all great stories)
7. Marquette (great fanbase, and they will be a good team in a year or two. Wojo could be a star as well)

The AAC has some good teams, but half the time they are all playing so god awful bottom tier AAC team. On the other hand, we have a great matchup virtually every game night.

It sucks, but FS1 is a bust so far. Think if we were on ESPN this year how different the perception would be.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:43 am

stever20 wrote:last years Feb games averaged 107.7k viewers per game(not even counting the Georgetown/Michigan St OOC game on 2/1)
this year's Feb games averaged 98.6k viewers per game on FS1.

So the ratings are not better this year than last. Also keep in mind- last year had 28 games, this year from what I saw on the awful announcing site only had 12.

It's just remarkable the fox apologists on here. Fox was a major mistake. We went with $$$ over much more guaranteed exposure. Period.

Brother Stever, ok, I don't have the time or energy this morning to chase down your cherry-picked numbers and once again show that you're full of sh-t. And I've lost track of what you're even arguing about. Are you talking specifically about March 4th ratings only...? Full year ratings...? Are you taking into account that we've had more games on Big FOX...? Do you have a link to your numbers...? Maybe you can compose a 3,297th post and answer these questions.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ohiohsbball » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:49 am

DudeAnon wrote:
billyjack wrote:Speaking of exposure, i find the exposure during games on ESPN News of empty seats at Houston, Temple and even Gampel Pavilion to be pretty interesting. This exposure on ESPN News has taught me that the prime seats at both Houston and Temple are red, which matches their team colors... while at the same time, East Carolina and UConn have gray empty seats, which does not match their colors. Weird. Thanks "ESPN News" telecasts...!

All that tells me is that we would get better slots than the AAC as we have better teams/fanbases.

Besides DePaul, I think every team in our conference has a good to great fanbase.

BE teams that are good for TV.
1. Nova (highly ranked, packs the house)
2. Georgetown (national prestige)
3. St. Johns (MSG)
4. Xavier (Cintas is packed every game, some national prestige)
5. Creighton (16,000 + fans)
6. Providence (Cooley, Dunn and Henton are all great stories)
7. Marquette (great fanbase, and they will be a good team in a year or two. Wojo could be a star as well)

The AAC has some good teams, but half the time they are all playing so god awful bottom tier AAC team. On the other hand, we have a great matchup virtually every game night.

It sucks, but FS1 is a bust so far. Think if we were on ESPN this year how different the perception would be.

I normally disagree with a lot of what you post, but I do think your thoughts on FS1 are almost spot on. The only thing I would maybe change is FS1 being a bust; I'm not sure I'm ready to go that far...yet.

What FS1 could do to really help themselves is expand their basketball coverage during the season. A deal with some of the smaller conferences or other basketball only leagues would help. The mountain west, A10, Horizon, maybe the MVC would be decent adds. I'm not saying these leagues are going to dramatically improve ratings because they won't; what I am saying is the average basketball fan is going to go home and flip on ESPN networks to see a basketball game. Unless they wanting to watch a specific team/game on a specific network, FS1 won't even come on in their home. FS1 needs to find a way to have basketball every night. When the BE is not on tv, I'm not watching FS1 because I could care less about the UFC. If my team is not playing, I'll go to ESPN or even CBS Sports to find a game to watch. FS1 needs to find a way to bring in basketball fans, not just only BE fans.
ohiohsbball

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board