UConn 2020 Discussion - The Thread By AAC Fan Sam Elliott...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn 2020 Discussion - The Thread By AAC Fan Sam Elliot

Postby kayako » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 pm

thunderbird wrote:Seton Hall/Butler saw a benefit playing Saint Louis. No BE schools see a benefit playing Dayton. It's that simple.

Xavier's probably just ignoring them. But I can see a H&H series happening with a BE team if AG can keep them dominating A10 for a good stretch. Oh wait nvm, we're going to 20 conference games and these kind of agreements are much less likely going forward.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:31 am

kayako wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Seton Hall/Butler saw a benefit playing Saint Louis. No BE schools see a benefit playing Dayton. It's that simple.

Xavier's probably just ignoring them. But I can see a H&H series happening with a BE team if AG can keep them dominating A10 for a good stretch. Oh wait nvm, we're going to 20 conference games and these kind of agreements are much less likely going forward.

Drop “probably” and you nailed it.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kayako » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:41 am

Xudash wrote:Drop “probably” and you nailed it.

As a college bb fan, I'd like to see Ohio's "crossroads classic". As a BE fan, meh whatevers.
supernova
kayako

Postby Xudash » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:22 pm

kayako wrote:

As a college bb fan, I'd like to see Ohio's "crossroads classic". As a BE fan, meh whatevers.

Yeah, I get the conceptual appeal of the idea, but Ohio State, in particular, would never agree to it.

Besides, Indiana can throw 4 legitimate major conference teams at that format. Ohio only has two major teams: Ohio State and Xavier. It also would screw up the Crosstown Shootout with UC. VD is where it belongs: with LossSalle and St. Joe’s.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kayako » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:39 pm

Xudash wrote:It also would screw up the Crosstown Shootout with UC. VD is where it belongs: with LossSalle and St. Joe’s.

Unless I am missing something, Indiana and Purdue don't play each other in the classic either. So in this hypothetical event, Xavier would only end up playing OSU & Dayton. And I thought it was Holtmann that brought it up.
supernova
kayako

Postby Xudash » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:19 pm

kayako wrote:
Xudash wrote:It also would screw up the Crosstown Shootout with UC. VD is where it belongs: with LossSalle and St. Joe’s.

Unless I am missing something, Indiana and Purdue don't play each other in the classic either. So in this hypothetical event, Xavier would only end up playing OSU & Dayton. And I thought it was Holtmann that brought it up.

Well, as far as the event itself is concerned, I would think anyone packaging it would want to involve four major teams, regardless of who is playing who. Otherwise, Xavier will not play Dayton. That is over.

I do recall Holtman mentioning something to that effect, but their A.D. would shut it down in two seconds, most likely.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby SamElliott » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:03 pm

kayako wrote:

- As a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, has it hit anyone yet that Dayton was always the better choice to be the NBE's 11th team?
- Perhaps UConn could have been the 12th team?
- The Fox Sports 1 contract allowed for 2 pro-rata shares to get to 12 teams (at 4 million per year for each team.)
- That extra inventory would increase the bargaining position of the league in 6 years. It's absurd not to get that last 4 million dollar share, as it adds equity to a fledgling league.
- Dayton has showed that they don't need the NBE to get a #1 seed.
- OTOH, UConn was an opening day qualifier in the AAC tournament, as Hurley didn't win 20 games this year.
- Let's also look at having a quality team in Ohio.
- After losing to DePaul, Travis Steele was about to make his second NIT in two years.
- Having Dayton to shoulder some of the load would be good for Xavier.
- As an aside, Dayton plays FCS football, and the NBE may want to consider sponsoring football on the FCS level. (UConn, Nova, Georgetown, Butler, and Dayton would be a solid core)
SamElliott

Postby marquette » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 am

Sure, if Dayton wants to go ahead and guarantee that they'll only take their tv share in years they luck into a lottery pick, then sign em up. Otherwise, they'll be there if we ever feel the need for a 12th (or more likely 13/14th). Nothing against them but they aren't a UConn level brand.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Husky_U » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:11 am

SamElliott wrote:
kayako wrote:

- As a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, has it hit anyone yet that Dayton was always the better choice to be the NBE's 11th team?
- The Fox Sports 1 contract allowed for 2 pro-rata shares to get to 12 teams (at 4 million per year for each team.)
- That extra inventory would increase the bargaining position of the league in 6 years. It's absurd not to get that last 4 million dollar share, as it adds equity to a fledgling league.
- OTOH, UConn was an opening day qualifier in the AAC tournament, as Hurley didn't win 20 games this year.
- After losing to DePaul, Travis Steele was about to make his second NIT in two years.
- As an aside, Dayton plays FCS football, and the NBE may want to consider sponsoring football on the FCS level. (UConn, Nova, Georgetown, Butler, and Dayton would be a solid core)

Agreed. Kick out UCONN. Replace them with Dayton. Then look to Iona as #12. Big East is better off without UCONN Basketball, just like the AAC.
Husky_U

Postby Bogg » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:33 am

SamElliott wrote:
kayako wrote:

You're still taking Ls around here? Dayton hasn't been out of the first round since 2014 and they missed the tournament the past two years. They're a fine program and currently they're 1a or 1b with St Louis as the on-deck school if the conference expands again, but they're not some world-beating conference validator.
Bogg

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board