NET rankings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NET rankings

Postby Edrick » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:29 pm

stever20 wrote:if Big East gets 8 teams in, I'll never post here again.
If Big East gets 7 or fewer, I'm not moderated
You take the bet?

LOL. you're bet is that you A. Get To gloat. B. Be a coward not owning up to your typical nonsense.

I'll take that bet, but in a general sense - not necessarily with you. The Big East is going to get 8 teams and your irrelevant conference is going to get the mid major treatment as always.

I don't really understand why you keep coming back to be the cuckold, but I suppose everyone has their 'thing'
Edrick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Fighting the good fight on two different battlefields.

"March is all that matters - and no one other than Villanova has done anything."

Well, Villanova, Butler and, now, UConn, all - in the past decade - made multiple national championship games, with Villanova and UConn both winning two national championships. Xavier also has made an Elite Eight. Ten out of the eleven programs have all made the tournament in the past five years, with a perfect 11th (DePaul) possible this year.

"There's more to March than just national championships."

You bet there is. The Big East owns the best conference tournament in the country, averaging 20k for the semifinals and finals; attendance will only rise with the addition of UConn. Once again, every program has tournament expectations, now, annually - and every Big East team that makes the tournament can be a threat to advance to the second weekend.

At the end of the day, it needs to be highlighted what is the root cause of debate (here, there, everywhere). Stever gets annoyed when Big East fans get excited and celebrate the conference's success and potential. Does he post regularly after days when Villanova won a national championship? Did he post in celebration when UConn announced he was returning to the Big East? Was he happy for the league after two incredible and historical Saturdays this year (12/7 and 12/21)? The answer to all of these questions is, of course, no.

Instead, he pops back up after Big East teams lose (even in conference play), or present hypothetical scenarios that often result in doomsday possibilities for the Big East or its programs (and it's not just this year; it years past, it could be ratings, recruiting, lack of football, etc.). He has now acknowledged himself as being "as big an AAC homer as anyone" on the other board, and will continue to argue and fight with anyone to create a perception equality/similariy between the two leagues, not because they are, in fact, but rather so that the AAC can - perceptually - be lumped in as a P7 basketball conference. I said it there, but the shared excitement and collective mindset that the Big East has is what will always be the source of fracture within the AAC: their fans clash with one another regularly, they fight about who is the best team that will inevitably leave the league, and each of their programs would instantaneously leave and sell the others out if it meant being in a power conference. That, by definition, is not a power conference. That is a tweener league.

Honestly, in 2020, who the cares about the AAC here or on the Big East board elsewhere? The Big East won. It's fine to cheer for the Big East. It's also fine to cheer for the AAC. But for anyone to take such extreme exception and constantly argue whenever a league does well is mind-boggling.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:09 pm

Some random points about each conference:

1. 9 Big East teams ranked from #4 to #48 in the Net Ranking. The AAC has only 3 teams ranked better than #48. So as of now, the BEast has 8 teams in better position than all but 3 of the AAC teams.

2. Conf RPI: BE #1, AAC #7. The statistical spread is so great that conferences like the Ivy League and the Big Sky are closer to the AAC than the AAC is to the BE.

3. KenPom - all 10 BE teams are in the top 77. 6 AAC teams are in the top 77.

4. ESPN Bracketology - BE = 8; AAC = 3.

Stever, my man, we about done here?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Edrick » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:31 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Some random points about each conference:

1. 9 Big East teams ranked from #4 to #48 in the Net Ranking. The AAC has only 3 teams ranked better than #48. So as of now, the BEast has 8 teams in better position than all but 3 of the AAC teams.

2. Conf RPI: BE #1, AAC #7. The statistical spread is so great that conferences like the Ivy League and the Big Sky are closer to the AAC than the AAC is to the BE.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Baske ... mRankings/
Edrick

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:42 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:
Ahh, you're a betting man. I have a bet for you. Your conference has 12 teams. My conference has 10 teams. You think 12 teams is better because you have more shitty teams which leads to more conference wins for the less shitty teams. (I think that's your argument). Straight up...I bet my conference gets more teams in the tournament than yours. And i'll double down by saying my conference will get teams in the NCAAT with conference records that, if they were in your conference, they would not whiff the tournament. Why? Our conference is very good and your conference is not.

So...straight up...we get more teams in the tournament, in spite of having 2 fewer teams and having to play round robin, than your AAC. If we do, we never have to hear from you again. If your conference gets more teams in the tournament, then we will pay homage to the Stever, via a HLOH post, every day for a year.

You take the bet?

(And, to save time, save me your BS about seeding...the only two decent teams in your conference are gonna lose games to shitty or slightly less shitty teams that they have to play, and that will torpedo their seeding. Note, Wichita just beat East Carolina, a truly shitty basketball team, by 6 at home).

Why would he take that? The Big East would only need 4 teams in to win that, which is already a lock. He also never claimed the AAC would get more teams in than the Big East - just doubting that we get 8. I think 8 is still very much possible, but Providence's resurgence is going to make it more difficult as they beat more potential bubble teams.

Hall...I know he won't take it. I was just being an asshole. Comes naturally when I am faced with idiocy.

Cheers! Good luck tonight.

EDIT: While he has never claimed AAC will get more teams, he has alluded to the fact that the teams in his conference will get better seeds because of the number of shitty teams they get to play and piling up wins vs. said shitty teams is somehow better than a conference that is, top to bottom, really strong this year. He has, throughout my time on this board, attempted to allude to the fact that the AAC is a "peer" of the Big East or that, in his twisted little brain, there might be any benefit to AAC membership vs. our conference.
Savannah Jay

Postby billyjack » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:54 pm

stever20 wrote:
Edrick wrote:
stever20 wrote:Big East isn't getting 8 teams....

Yes, yes it is

I'll make a bet with you

if Big East gets 8 teams in, I'll never post here again.
If Big East gets 7 or fewer, I'm not moderated

You take the bet?

Imagine begging to not be moderated if only 70% of our conference makes the NCAA's, and being cocky about it. Think of where we are today as a conference. And this is with our NY and Chicago teams still with a colossal untapped upside. And with UConn still 10 months away from their first game back with us. Wow.

Just a reminder that everything we predicted about the Big East since 2013 has been correct.
Providence
billyjack

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:23 pm

billyjack wrote:
Imagine begging to not be moderated if only 70% of our conference makes the NCAA's, and being cocky about it. Think of where we are today as a conference. And this is with our NY and Chicago teams still with a colossal untapped upside. And with UConn still 10 months away from their first game back with us. Wow.

Just a reminder that everything we predicted about the Big East since 2013 has been correct.
[/quote]

BJack, yep. Things that Stever predicted from day 1 that have been way off.

1. “Fox deal will hurt us.” Yeah, no. I watch just about every BE game in crystal clear HD with great production value. Other conferences not to be named are relegated to ESPN+ where no casual fans or recruits ever see. Also don’t have to compete with ACC or SEC or B12 for space on a single network. That deal has been tremendous for us.

2. “Recruiting will suffer.” Um, no. We are all recruiting at very high levels.

3. “Football $ will eventually squash the BB only schools.” Uh, no. Football budgets, at any/all schools not in the top tier, have become weights around many athletic programs. How much longer will state residents fund these programs who clearly can’t compete anyway.

4. “The BE won’t be able to compete in March.” How about those 2 shiny trophies sitting in Villanova, PA

5. “The big schools will grab all of the BE coaching talent.” Lost about the same as any major conference has, and each has been seemlessly replaced without skipping a beat. Still have a core of coaches that have anchored the league (Jay, Willard, Cooley, Wojo, Daddy McBuckets)

6. “As a conference the BE will be a step below the P5.” Consistently top 3-4 in RPI and % of teams to make the dance.

7. “Within a couple of years the AAC will be the better conference.” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m sure it’s absolutely ripping him apart internally to see the conference do as well as it has.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Xudash » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:48 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
billyjack wrote:

BJack, yep. Things that Stever predicted from day 1 that have been way off.

1. “Fox deal will hurt us.” Yeah, no. I watch just about every BE game in crystal clear HD with great production value. Other conferences not to be named are relegated to ESPN+ where no casual fans or recruits ever see. Also don’t have to compete with ACC or SEC or B12 for space on a single network. That deal has been tremendous for us.

2. “Recruiting will suffer.” Um, no. We are all recruiting at very high levels.

3. “Football $ will eventually squash the BB only schools.” Uh, no. Football budgets, at any/all schools not in the top tier, have become weights around many athletic programs. How much longer will state residents fund these programs who clearly can’t compete anyway.

4. “The BE won’t be able to compete in March.” How about those 2 shiny trophies sitting in Villanova, PA

5. “The big schools will grab all of the BE coaching talent.” Lost about the same as any major conference has, and each has been seemlessly replaced without skipping a beat. Still have a core of coaches that have anchored the league (Jay, Willard, Cooley, Wojo, Daddy McBuckets)

6. “As a conference the BE will be a step below the P5.” Consistently top 3-4 in RPI and % of teams to make the dance.

7. “Within a couple of years the AAC will be the better conference.” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m sure it’s absolutely ripping him apart internally to see the conference do as well as it has.[/quote]

If I may take a stab at amplifying your post with emphasis on a point you made and a separate remark about his bullsh-- point about adding weak teams for better NCAAT results.

Re your point #3: perhaps this is what you meant, but it doesn't hurt to point out that it isn't necessarily about competing with the entirety of the P5. In other words, not all P5 schools are created equally. We've noted before that perhaps only about 20 athletic departments across the country operate in the black. It doesn't hurt to point that out again. The "big schools" are less in number than what constitutes the makeup of the P5, and we hold a positional advantage overall with respect to the locations of our schools.

Otherwise, little stevie is infatuated with a numerator that cannot be guaranteed, while constantly losing site of the fact that the denominator ends up fixed. So, you play games with team composition and scheduling by having a conference with 12 teams instead of 10. That 12-slice pie requires (demands) money at the margin to keep the original 10 happy. There can never be a guarantee that will always work out to the satisfaction of the conference. And such a change brings a lot of risk to a formula that already is working very nicely. Besides, with us now going to 11 with UCONN, all this should become a dead mule.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kayako » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:08 am

At least 4 if not more, with good seeds? It looks like Houston is probably on the right side of the bubble and then what? It'd take a great SMU, Cinci, or Temple run to get 4th team in, but ruining good seeds in the process.
supernova
kayako

Postby scoscox » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 am

Edrick wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Some random points about each conference:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Baske ... mRankings/

Marquette looking good for Karim Mane right now as well. could move them into legit top ten territory.
scoscox

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board