How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:34 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Ok Stever lets play by your criteria. According to you Nova "has NOT held up its end of the bargain, because what matters is NCAA tournament results." Great let's use that as the criteria since you brought it up. Please tell me which BE team has played in more tourney games than Nova since the new league was formed? (Cue Jeopardy music).... Well? Your answer is:_________? Great. Thanks for playing.

See I contend that positive exposure for the BE would have been non-existent these past 2 years if not for 2 things: 1). McBuckets and 2). Villanova. You see, even ESPN is forced to show highlights of Top 5 teams. If Nova wasn't in the Top 5 two years in a row, would anyone be talking about the BE being a legitimate conference? Would we hear on ESPN: "#22 in action at the BET tourney...let's roll the highlights." Of course not. I especially love your flimsy argument where you praise UCONN from the AAC for winning the NC but at the same time crucify Nova for losing to them. Typical cockroach behavior. So scurry along back to your little AAC boards and end this charade. This from the same guy who was convinced last Feb & March that the AAC was going to get 5 bids and the BE 4. How'd that work out for you Stever?

Be gone troll.

Xavier has played in as many games, and they actually went to the sweet 16. You know, a place that Nova hasn't been to for a while. Xavier saved the leagues bacon making the sweet 16 last year.

The problem with Nova is yeah they were like that- but now- all folks say is that they were way overrated- should have never gotten that 1 seed.

The UConn game folks give Nova a pass to large degree because UConn did win the title. But not the NC State loss. NC State should have lost to LSU. That's the one that is the absolute killer.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:38 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Hahaha who is comparing sju to nova besides butt hurt nova fans?

Oh and we're international dummy with campuses in Rome and Paris. Hell I had two kids in my frat from Texas.

Yeah, St. John's really has that international college feel. Carnesecca is ROCKING when all 60 students show up to stomp their feet. Most embarrassing student section in the Big East besides maybe DePaul, but let's not get into that.

Butt hurt, is butt hurt getting beat by a team twice in 1 year by a combined 55 points? My friends who are St. John's fans seemed butt hurt when they were texting me that Jay Wright is classless after we completely embarrassed you in Philly last year. I think that is butt hurt. I think you guys not making the tournament again this year and going through ANOTHER rebuilding phase (5 in the last 15 years, that is like one every 3 years) is probably what you would call butt hurt. Good luck![/quote]

Yeah you are butthurt, quit moving the goal posts. You all flipped because I gave weight a 3 out of 10. That's the discussion. Yes, you beat us no one is disputing that. Crying like little bitches because I said wrights seat is cold and not freezing is beg butthurt. Keep on crying because someone didn't polish jays knob and pointed out that his teams have been choking in march the last few years.

You're butthurt, we are an international university, let's see your student section after 15 down years and you cry more than a baby without its bottle.
NJRedman

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:51 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Ok Stever lets play by your criteria. According to you Nova "has NOT held up its end of the bargain, because what matters is NCAA tournament results." Great let's use that as the criteria since you brought it up. Please tell me which BE team has played in more tourney games than Nova since the new league was formed? (Cue Jeopardy music).... Well? Your answer is:_________? Great. Thanks for playing.

See I contend that positive exposure for the BE would have been non-existent these past 2 years if not for 2 things: 1). McBuckets and 2). Villanova. You see, even ESPN is forced to show highlights of Top 5 teams. If Nova wasn't in the Top 5 two years in a row, would anyone be talking about the BE being a legitimate conference? Would we hear on ESPN: "#22 in action at the BET tourney...let's roll the highlights." Of course not. I especially love your flimsy argument where you praise UCONN from the AAC for winning the NC but at the same time crucify Nova for losing to them. Typical cockroach behavior. So scurry along back to your little AAC boards and end this charade. This from the same guy who was convinced last Feb & March that the AAC was going to get 5 bids and the BE 4. How'd that work out for you Stever?

Be gone troll.

Well Xavier has played in as many games as Nova and now they look better years later because they got a sweet 16 out of it. Nova has certainly held it's end of the bargain the past couple years, they've been great in regular season. But ask yourself do you remember 85 as a great year where you won the national championship? Do you think that right now everybody looks at the record books and thinks "oh they won it but they were average at best that year". There's a reason when you tout your program's tradition people say X number of sweet 16s, X number of Elite 8s etc they don't say "we've been a 1 and 2 seed this many times!"
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:03 pm

MUBoxer wrote:

Be gone troll.

Well Xavier has played in as many games as Nova and now they look better years later because they got a sweet 16 out of it. Nova has certainly held it's end of the bargain the past couple years, they've been great in regular season. But ask yourself do you remember 85 as a great year where you won the national championship? Do you think that right now everybody looks at the record books and thinks "oh they won it but they were average at best that year". There's a reason when you tout your program's tradition people say X number of sweet 16s, X number of Elite 8s etc they don't say "we've been a 1 and 2 seed this many times!"

Great point about 1985. Quite frankly that era- thinking NC State in '83 and Nova in '85- changed the perception of the season considerably.
stever20

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:13 pm

I have been going to St. John's games my whole life, the student support has always been abysmal. This isn't a recent issue, this is an issue that has been ongoing. I am hoping Mullin addresses that.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:06 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:I have been going to St. John's games my whole life, the student support has always been abysmal. This isn't a recent issue, this is an issue that has been ongoing. I am hoping Mullin addresses that.

I'd say the last 15 years, it's not a surprise. Folks like winners. A whole lot easier to get kids to come to games if you have a winner.

Also would say that part of it is the schedule. look at the schedule on campus this year.
Wagner
UMBC
Rutgers
Niagara
Incarnate Word(finals week)
NJIT(day after last finals)
Creighton(Dec 31, when kids are away)
Xavier(Jan 6, when kids are away)
Butler
DePaul

so really the only one you would say should be exciting for the students would be the Butler game in Feb.
stever20

Postby marquette » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:33 pm

This thread reminds me of a day when I forget to have my coffee. At first I don't know why I'm so pissed off at everybody, but then I realize that it's been a while since I've had my coffee and I'm lashing out over it. Then I get my coffee and everything is ok again.

Mostly making a joke, definitely not trying to get involved in the argument. Also, coffee in this scenario=basketball.

Full disclosure, I started drinking at 4 this afternoon.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:55 pm

stever20 wrote:

Be gone troll.

Xavier has played in as many games, and they actually went to the sweet 16. You know, a place that Nova hasn't been to for a while. Xavier saved the leagues bacon making the sweet 16 last year.

The problem with Nova is yeah they were like that- but now- all folks say is that they were way overrated- should have never gotten that 1 seed.

The UConn game folks give Nova a pass to large degree because UConn did win the title. But not the NC State loss. NC State should have lost to LSU. That's the one that is the absolute killer.

Who the hell cares what "all folks" think? Did teams in this conference think that Nova was "overrated," on their way to two consecutive 16-2 seasons? How are you overrated when you post a 89% winning % and are in the Top 5 RPI?

Thanks for actually responding to what I asked. So in other words there are exactly zero other BE programs that have played MORE NCAA tourney games than Nova the last 2 years. I would say that is "keeping up their end of the bargain." I would also say that XU has kept up their end of the bargain. In the first two years 2 teams have played 4 tourney games (X & Nova), 3 have played 2 games (PC, Butler & CU) and 2 have played 1 game (G'town & SJU). So according to you in that list Nova should feel like it let the BE down? Really?

I love the addition of XU--quality program with a proud tradition of March performance. They are among the top 3-4 programs in the BE for sure. However if you recall, I made it very clear that the tourney is often about how the dice rolls and who you end up getting matched up against. Take PC for example. Absolutely screwed last year having to play a team on it's own home floor. They didn't deserve that draw. XU on the other hand beats an #11 seed and a #14 seed on its way to the SW16. I'm not saying that to belittle XU and their run; they are the only BE team in the first two years to do that and deserve credit. But many March tourney runs involve some luck. UCONN should have lost their 1st round game 2 years ago, but squeak by and end up going all the way. All you can do is put yourself in position to have a shot, and sometimes things fall perfectly for you and sometimes they don't.

UCONN wins the Nat. Championship in 2014, so is there any shame in losing to that team? The answer is obviously no. NC State also beat Duke, UNC and L'ville, (and lost to #2 seed UVA and #3 seed ND on the last possession) last year. Do you think that is a shameful loss? Do you think it would be easier or harder to win those 2 games or a game vs. #14 seed GA State?

So please put things in perspective before making your typical Stever troll arguments. Now enlighten us again on how you had 5 AAC teams comfortably in the tourney and thought XU, SJU and PC were all at risk of not making it. AAC apologist tool.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:25 pm

The problem with you Gumby and your arguement is all you want to focus on is the regualr season. That's not what the college basketball sport has become. It's all about the tournament. Show me 1 preview where the NCAA tournament isn't mentioned with Nova this year.

With Nova- it's the when much is given, much is expected. When you are a 2 and 1 seed, you sure as hell should have more than 2 wins in the tournament- vs 15 and 16 seeds. You can act like the tournament is a crap shoot- but still, it's what teams are measured by. Who is remembered better in 2014, Florida or UConn. It's UConn, and it's not close. Or 1985, who is reemmbered better, Villanova or Georgetown? Even this past year, Kentucky or Duke?

You can act like Villanova isn't a disappointment. The fact is, the only folks that think that are Villanova fans.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:36 pm

And you can act like you are a fan of the BE when everyone knows that you are not. So why do I care what an AAC apologist tool thinks of any team in this conference? Especially one who never answers one question I present to him. Your act is tired.

Now tell us all how great Tulane and East Carolina are going to be this season.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board