The Case for Dayton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Case for Dayton

Postby Frambo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:51 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
NJRedman wrote:Since when the F did X fans speak for all of the Big East? God they are the WORST! The new Cuse fans of the Big East everyone. Congrats!

I don't get it, why even acknowledge the troll with 5 posts? I guess we are the worst now.

not a troll

read everyday....just don't chime in as much as you cool guys.

as far as speaking for all of the BEast, try reading it again! I was speaking for me!
Frambo

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Frambo wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
NJRedman wrote:Since when the F did X fans speak for all of the Big East? God they are the WORST! The new Cuse fans of the Big East everyone. Congrats!

I don't get it, why even acknowledge the troll with 5 posts? I guess we are the worst now.

not a troll

read everyday....just don't chime in as much as you cool guys.

as far as speaking for all of the BEast, try reading it again! I was speaking for me!

Tryt reading again, I was talking about more posters than you.
NJRedman

Postby augkash » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Xu fans are fine they love their basketball team.
augkash

Postby Frambo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:55 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Frambo wrote:I hope that Dayton never gets a BEast invite. Hurts me a little to say that as my daughter, in-laws and some friends went to UD. I also taught/coached with friends who attended or played for the Flyers. What bothers me was my experience at the PIG last week. The booing of our players, the beat X shirts, the comments......I just don't see this happening at Cintas, even though I thought the heckling during Monday's practice by 3 students was pretty funny. We came upon a lady we work with, all in her UD garb. She couldn't/wouldn't shake our hands or talk to us due to the X jackets we had on - actually blew us off with some disgust.

We weren't spat upon or called out like the usual stories we hear about attending games there, but I have talked with X fans who swear those took place over the years.....again something I have never seen at Cintas. Add in the treatment Christie Mack got last year and I would rather not play them...even though the Jimmy Carter (not Reagan) streak would be fun to continue.

I also don't want to share the recruiting angle and would much rather go with SLU and an eastern team if expansion occurs.

Call me crazy, but I think I understand some of Dayton's harsher trolls. Imagine if you were a nationally relevant program then fell into irrelevance meanwhile your rival school an hour away was taking their spot. This has essentially been Dayton's reality for the last 20-30 years. I really believe that with Archie and the success they are having the nastier aspects of the rivalry will die down and in its space will come mutual respect.

TL;DR Dayton fans were bitter, but can now be happy with Archie and their success. Everyone wins.

hope you are right. As I said earlier...I've got some buddies who played there in the better years and I've spent time cheering for them in the past, but with the current culture - not so much.
Frambo

Postby NJRedman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:59 pm

augkash wrote:Xu fans are fine they love their basketball team.

So does every other fan base, but most fan bases aren't as insulting to others or as arrogant as a good chunk of the X fans i've seen on here.
NJRedman

Postby Xudash » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:14 pm

You're hard on for Xavier is pretty obvious.

Are you actually taking the position that posts on this message board represent all Xavier fans speaking on behalf of the Big East?

I presume that means that you speak for the entire St. John's fan base. If that is true, you aren't doing any favors for St. John's.

Beyond that, and I haven't been tracking it, but to the extent that Xavier fans here are being "arrogant" most of that probably is directed towards topics having to do with UD. If you are truly a fan of St. John's and you otherwise do not understand the dynamic between Xavier and UD, then it really isn't your place to comment about such posts.

Back on topic: regarding the case for Dayton, one thing that we have to objectively keep in mind about Dayton is it's coaching situation. We are dealing with the Miller family here. Archie and Sean's father is in Pennsylvania's high school basketball Hall of Fame. Many of you here probably know the story about Sean appearing on the Johnny Carson show years ago. Basketball is in their blood. This is not a dig on UD's program. The point is that UD will automatically share Xavier's fate when it comes to having a Miller as its head coach. In other words, Archie will absolutely move on when a bigger opportunity that makes sense to him becomes available.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Schickrateez » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:18 pm

NJRedman wrote:
augkash wrote:Xu fans are fine they love their basketball team.

So does every other fan base, but most fan bases aren't as insulting to others or as arrogant as a good chunk of the X fans i've seen on here.

You're dealing with fans on a message board, which by nature, means you're dealing with the most vocal, typically die-hard fans a program has. Xavier gets about 10,000 in Cintas every game, not too mention the many more watching on tv. Kinda hard to judge a fan base based on the extreme side...don't you think?
Schickrateez

Postby ruechalgrin » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Xudash wrote:

Are you actually taking the position that posts on this message board represent all Xavier fans speaking on behalf of the Big East?

I presume that means that you speak for the entire St. John's fan base. If that is true, you aren't doing any favors for St. John's.

Beyond that, and I haven't been tracking it, but to the extent that Xavier fans here are being "arrogant" most of that probably is directed towards topics having to do with UD. If you are truly a fan of St. John's and you otherwise do not understand the dynamic between Xavier and UD, then it really isn't your place to comment about such posts.

Back on topic: regarding the case for Dayton, one thing that we have to objectively keep in mind about Dayton is it's coaching situation. We are dealing with the Miller family here. Archie and Sean's father is in Pennsylvania's high school basketball Hall of Fame. Many of you here probably know the story about Sean appearing on the Johnny Carson show years ago. Basketball is in their blood. This is not a dig on UD's program. The point is that UD will automatically share Xavier's fate when it comes to having a Miller as its head coach. In other words, Archie will absolutely move on when a bigger opportunity that makes sense to him becomes available.

XUDash, I hate to agree with you about Archie Miller, but I do. Maybe I am delusional on the point, but I don't think he goes to Wake Forest or other low team in a top conference. I think he waits like Sean for a top 10/20 program, he is that good. So I think we get him for another 1-3 years until he gets the right job. I don't think he goes to a Clemson or GT like our previous 2 coaches. But we shall see.
ruechalgrin

Postby Xudash » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:01 pm

ruechalgrin wrote:
Xudash wrote:

XUDash, I hate to agree with you about Archie Miller, but I do. Maybe I am delusional on the point, but I don't think he goes to Wake Forest or other low team in a top conference. I think he waits like Sean for a top 10/20 program, he is that good. So I think we get him for another 1-3 years until he gets the right job. I don't think he goes to a Clemson or GT like our previous 2 coaches. But we shall see.

I agree with you rue. He doesn't need to jump to the first BCS thing that comes along, especially some midtier program that otherwise lives and breathes for football. He will also have his father and his brother, as well as probably Thad Matta and a couple others advising him on what to do.

Again, this has nothing to do with Dayton's program; it has everything to do with Archie's aspirations.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby ruechalgrin » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:09 pm

XuDash, I don't take it as a disparagement of Dayton's program, just an unfortunate reality.

It will be interesting to see if X can keep coaches now in the BE. Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I don't see Mack in the same league as Gillen, Prosser, Matta, and Miller. It would have been interesting to see if any of them stayed if you were in the BE at the time, I don't think Gillen or Prosser move, but still think Matta and Miller do, but who knows.

BTW, I actually think Dayton's run will make the X/Dayton rivalry more calm if you guys choose to start it again. We needed a little success.
ruechalgrin

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board