Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:42 am

Burrito wrote:Just stay at 10. None of the names that keep coming up are game changers. I like the round robin. Reading DavidST's ideas for expansion on the other board just make me want to bang my head against a wall. so stupid.

This X10000

The worst thing we can do as a conference is take in a school like Dayton before all the FBS drama concludes. A viable school could be available but we would have already blown our load on a less successful Xavier.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:00 am

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:
Burrito wrote:Just stay at 10. None of the names that keep coming up are game changers. I like the round robin. Reading DavidST's ideas for expansion on the other board just make me want to bang my head against a wall. so stupid.

This X10000

The worst thing we can do as a conference is take in a school like Dayton before all the FBS drama concludes. A viable school could be available but we would have already blown our load on a less successful Xavier.

Why the need to insult Xavier?
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:07 am

Xudash wrote:
Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:

This X10000

Not an insult. It''s a factual statement. Xavier,in the same market as Dayton, has had more success.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby MakScratcher3 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:23 am

Xudash wrote:
Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:

This X10000

I don't think he was insulting Xavier. I think he was trying to say that they are a similar academic institution to Xavier (in the same TV market), but with less success on the basketball court.

Less success is putting it kindly, when looking at the last 25 years.
MakScratcher3

Postby NJRedman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:51 am

I keep seeing people post on the other board about we can just go to divisions in BBall. NO! No divisions in BBall!!! Almost every D1 conference has moved away from divisions because they don't work. Only two D1 conferences continue to use divisions in BBall (MAC & OVC) and I think even they are moving away from the idea. Divisions in college BBall are dead. Thats not coming back and no one is going to implement it in the BE.

Also I don't think that the conference MUST be balanced between east coast and mid-west. It's not like the mid-west schools are going to all get together and move the conference tourny to Chicago or anything. I don't see geographic balance as a major issue. If two mid-west schools are out best options (and it looks like they are) then we will add two mid-western schools if and when we add new members. If Dayton is considered to close to X (which is still farther apart than SJU and SH and just a little bit further than SH to Nova) then maybe an east coast candidate will rise up.

I personally think VCU would be perfect in the AAC to off balance FB only Navy and Wichita State would be great in the MWC to balance FB only Hawaii.

The teams in the order I think the Presidents would like to invite realistically.

1. Saint Louis
2. Dayton
3. Richmond
4. Davidson

Davidson can move up with continued success in the A-10 and if i'm Dayton thats who i'd be worried about.

I'm shocked not more teams are upgrading facilities to compete for a spot in our conference. For the first time in over 25 years a big time BBall specific conference made up of small private schools exists and has room to grow. If im on the east coast or mid-west in a city that isn't already under the BE banner i'd be trying to get my shit together as quickly as possible and trying to make friends with those other schools. There are a few who if ever gave a shit and put some real money and work into their programs would be added to that above list. Schools like Detroit, Siena, Dqusene (SP who gives a F---), BU, Loyola etc...

BTW If the A-10 ends up losing two to us and say VCU or UMass to the AAC who do they back fill with? ( and lets say one of them is Saint Louis so they aren't tied to the mid-west anymore) Vermont? Stoney Brook? Iona? Manhattan?
NJRedman

Postby booyah » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Usually i just lurk, but since I agree almost wholeheartedly with NJRedmen's post, i thought i'd chime in.

No reasons to go to divisions. Agree there. Also agree with the list of who is most likely to get an invite now, and that Davidson is rising-
Current Candidates -

1. Saint Louis
2. Dayton
3. Richmond
4. Davidson (Curry can carry their marketing for the next 10 years. Too bad he can't quadruple their enrollment...)

Having said that -

geographically and institutionally
Duquesne, Boston U, Northeastern, Fordham are all obvious fits. Its ridiculous the Big East doesnt have a team in Boston. Can't the Big East approach them with a godfather offer - spend 5 mill more per year on your bball program, hire a hot coach and top assistants, and we'll give you an invite? Itd be a little bit of a Rutgers to the B1G kinda move...

If I'm the A10, I backfill with BU and Northeastern. Loyola and Belmont may be interesting? Its not like they are swimming in candidates -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... l_programs

As a Gtown alum, my pet dream is getting NYU and Hopkins to go Div 1 in bball. Itd be decades in the future, but we'd have a hell of a league and an amazing alumni base.
booyah

Postby BigmanU » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:06 pm

booyah wrote:Usually i just lurk, but since I agree almost wholeheartedly with NJRedmen's post, i thought i'd chime in.

No reasons to go to divisions. Agree there. Also agree with the list of who is most likely to get an invite now, and that Davidson is rising-
Current Candidates -

1. Saint Louis
2. Dayton
3. Richmond
4. Davidson (Curry can carry their marketing for the next 10 years. Too bad he can't quadruple their enrollment...)

Having said that -

geographically and institutionally
Duquesne, Boston U, Northeastern, Fordham are all obvious fits. Its ridiculous the Big East doesnt have a team in Boston. Can't the Big East approach them with a godfather offer - spend 5 mill more per year on your bball program, hire a hot coach and top assistants, and we'll give you an invite? Itd be a little bit of a Rutgers to the B1G kinda move...

If I'm the A10, I backfill with BU and Northeastern. Loyola and Belmont may be interesting? Its not like they are swimming in candidates -

As a Gtown alum, my pet dream is getting NYU and Hopkins to go Div 1 in bball. Itd be decades in the future, but we'd have a hell of a league and an amazing alumni base.

Great ideas but, this has been beaten to death. No team at this moment is worth adding at this time. Great locations but, None of those schools ring bells in Big time college hoops world. If and when these schools separate themselves we can talk then. Why make a move for the sake of making a move? Those schools will be waiting. 10 schools is perfect for a basketball home and home. If I were the BEast I wouldn't even discuss this topic again unless something drastically changes. Entertain this year 8 of the Fox deal and see if the dollars make sense.
BigmanU

Postby booyah » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Sorry I didn't make that clear- don't see any reason to invite anyone at this point. This entire convo is based around being excited about cbb but not having much to talk about.

If we were forced to invite someone, then the obvious 4-5, if we can wait 5 years, it'd b nice if a program from the bu group steps up.

I can think of a way our hand is forced-

If Dayton or vcu makes a national championship game a la butler, we need to seriously think about inviting them to maintain our position as the top bball only conference.

We r kinda screwed if Wichita st does the same thing, since I don't see us ever giving them an invite...
booyah

Postby AACguy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:43 pm

booyah wrote:Sorry I didn't make that clear- don't see any reason to invite anyone at this point. This entire convo is based around being excited about cbb but not having much to talk about.

If we were forced to invite someone, then the obvious 4-5, if we can wait 5 years, it'd b nice if a program from the bu group steps up.

I can think of a way our hand is forced-

If Dayton or vcu makes a national championship game a la butler, we need to seriously think about inviting them to maintain our position as the top bball only conference.

We r kinda screwed if Wichita st does the same thing, since I don't see us ever giving them an invite...

I don't think there's any risk of Dayton or VCU achieving that anytime soon. Wichita State and Gonzaga will probably both be preseason Top 10 teams however.
AACguy

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:50 pm

We have 10 years left on this TV contract. This thread is jumping the gun by about 5-8 years.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board