Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:50 pm

MarquetteRustler wrote:FS1 needs to improve their in game production. It's as if they give the announcers a list of talking points before the game and require them to ramble on about each topic at some point during the game. This usually happens while the game is going on so you get to listen to a meaningless story while trying to watch a game. Last night they were interviewing that injured Butler player Randy Trabbits and did a split screen of the game and Trabbits sitting there watching the game. Thank God I can afford a huge TV or else I would have had no idea what was happening.

It would also be nice if they could get an instant replay on the screen instantly. Maybe they're trying to coin the idea of the four plays later replay? Lastly when showing a graphic of the top free throw shooters in the league they listed Billy Garret Jr. and had a picture of some random white dude up there. He's been DePaul's best player for 2 years now and the network that specializes in Big East hoops has no idea what he looks like. If they want casual fans to tune in they need to stop giving us this 3rd rate production.

I've not watched every single game on FS1, but I've thought in general FS1 does a pretty solid job with the games.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby murphy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:11 pm

MarquetteRustler wrote:FS1 needs to improve their in game production. It's as if they give the announcers a list of talking points before the game and require them to ramble on about each topic at some point during the game. This usually happens while the game is going on so you get to listen to a meaningless story while trying to watch a game. Last night they were interviewing that injured Butler player Randy Trabbits and did a split screen of the game and Trabbits sitting there watching the game. Thank God I can afford a huge TV or else I would have had no idea what was happening.

It would also be nice if they could get an instant replay on the screen instantly. Maybe they're trying to coin the idea of the four plays later replay? Lastly when showing a graphic of the top free throw shooters in the league they listed Billy Garret Jr. and had a picture of some random white dude up there. He's been DePaul's best player for 2 years now and the network that specializes in Big East hoops has no idea what he looks like. If they want casual fans to tune in they need to stop giving us this 3rd rate production.

I would agree with above and add the following; wWhyhy do we have to hear the foxsports trumpet music ad nauseam (or at all?), lets vote, who hates this them music?

the studio talent is still ameturish. and stiff. It is like fox news trying to copy SNL, doesn't work. They can try to duplicate ESPN, but it does not work without the talent. I can understand why they promote the BE when they can, but the coverage is so biased, i.e. we have the best coaches, best point guards, best fan base.
Enough already. Do they think this will attract viewers who normally follow A10, B12 BIG, with this biased line, constant BE promotion?
-
murphy

Postby Doge McDermott » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:23 pm

MarquetteRustler wrote:FS1 needs to improve their in game production. It's as if they give the announcers a list of talking points before the game and require them to ramble on about each topic at some point during the game. This usually happens while the game is going on so you get to listen to a meaningless story while trying to watch a game.

You mean last year's Obligatory Doug McDermott Walk-on Joke, or this year's "Lost four starters including an All American" stat? Yeah man, every game. I'm sure each school has one. Gets a little old by January, downright unbearable in February, and a running joke in March.
Doge McDermott

Postby MUPanther » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 pm

murphy wrote:

I would agree with above and add the following; wWhyhy do we have to hear the foxsports trumpet music ad nauseam (or at all?), lets vote, who hates this them music?

the studio talent is still ameturish. and stiff. It is like fox news trying to copy SNL, doesn't work. They can try to duplicate ESPN, but it does not work without the talent. I can understand why they promote the BE when they can, but the coverage is so biased, i.e. we have the best coaches, best point guards, best fan base.
Enough already. Do they think this will attract viewers who normally follow A10, B12 BIG, with this biased line, constant BE promotion?
-

I think the theme music for college football & basketball is great and see no homer views towards the Big East.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby whiteandblue77 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:43 pm

I totally disagree with any and all FS1 haters... you're flirting with troll status IMHO, I LOVE this network, our coverage, the announcers, the money, the music. As a Creighton fan who remembers the last time we had national recognition in the 1970s, and then being brushed under the rug when the BE was created and we made the mistake of joining the MVC, all I can say is this feels like heaven.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:23 pm

I may be biased, but I would love to see/hear more Kevin O'Neill. When Kevin speaks his mind, it's always memorable. You can tell that he sometimes tries and says the right thing, but is either uncomfortable or resistant to saying it.

My most recent example was when Sterling Gibbs was ejected against Villanova last week, and his response was something to the lines of "It shouldn't be a significant suspension. I't was just a kiss on the cheek. This ain't no little boys game they're playing."

If anything, the Big East needs more personalities (from coaches and commentators). That's what elevated the conference in the 80's. You had Lou, Thompson, Rollie, Boeheim and all of the elite coaches with tons of personality. We aren't on ESPN anymore, we don't have to worry about being bumped down for anything.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby billyjack » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:39 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:I totally disagree with any and all FS1 haters... you're flirting with troll status IMHO, I LOVE this network, our coverage, the announcers, the money, the music. As a Creighton fan who remembers the last time we had national recognition in the 1970s, and then being brushed under the rug when the BE was created and we made the mistake of joining the MVC, all I can say is this feels like heaven.

I agree with you. I think FS1 has been great all around.

To address a couple of points from the posts above yours...

- yeah, basically the only slip was in a 1 second graphic gaffe showing Carlino's photo instead of BG Jr's... big whoop. That's a big problem?

- the Fox music... it's meant to remind you that it's a Fox production. It's like the NBC 3-tone riff, or the ESPN six note riff.

- ESPN "talent" level...? There's 1 guy worth listening to among the 300+ ESPN people... Bob Ley, one of the last original ESPN guys, with his special reports. Please, anyone, name one other ESPN guy that you've learned anything from in the past 5 years. Maybe Jim Calhoun along with Ley.

- FS1 games... love the alternate camera angles during gameplay that they occasionally switch to for a couple of possessions.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUPanther » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:15 pm

While I really like FS1 crews of Gus Johnson, Charles Davis, Joel Klatt, Joe Davis, Tim Brando, Bill Raftery, etc. I can't rip on ESPN as I like half of their play by play guys alot as well.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby FormulaX » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:18 pm

Love FS1. BUT, still can't enjoy Jay and Dan. Am I alone? Has this been beaten to death here? They remind of how I felt when Dennis Miller was doing MNF. Just feels so forced and awkward, with them.
FormulaX

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:25 pm

FormulaX wrote:Love FS1. BUT, still can't enjoy Jay and Dan. Am I alone? Has this been beaten to death here? They remind of how I felt when Dennis Miller was doing MNF. Just feels so forced and awkward, with them.

I know I've thought that since day one.

I wish Fox had been able to pick up someone like a Lindsey Czarniak. She used to be on NBC 4 here in DC(George Michael found her), and she is really good. She's now the sole anchor on the 6pm ESPN Sportscenter. Some Schtick is ok- see what Stuart Scott was all about. But Jay and Dan just are so much schtick that when they try to be serious, it's tough to take them at face value.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board