Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby jbarajas0490 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:12 pm

I'm still in shock. The B1G is out of control. Poaching UCLA away, how is this possible. This is worse than Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC, don't feel right. I don't want to watch the Badgers travel to LA.
jbarajas0490

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:46 pm

Django wrote:Gonzaga to the Big East makes a lot more sense now

If we're to trying to compare, even USC has UCLA tagging along. Problem for Gonzaga is the lack of any worthy school in its vicinity the BE would accept.
supernova
kayako

Postby Xudash » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:53 pm

jbarajas0490 wrote:I'm still in shock. The B1G is out of control. Poaching UCLA away, how is this possible. This is worse than Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC, don't feel right. I don't want to watch the Badgers travel to LA.

With all due respect, many if not most fans believe this news to be insane, whereas the leaders of these universities and the involved media giants see this as a logical next step.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby DeltaV » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:59 am

Xudash wrote:
jbarajas0490 wrote:I'm still in shock. The B1G is out of control. Poaching UCLA away, how is this possible. This is worse than Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC, don't feel right. I don't want to watch the Badgers travel to LA.

With all due respect, many if not most fans believe this news to be insane, whereas the leaders of these universities and the involved media giants see this as a logical next step.

I think the media and university leaders see this as the real first step to two super conferences. BIG and SEC will fill out and essentially be the AFC and NFC. Maybe go back to divisions for some more geographic sensibilities, but they'll distance themselves from the rest of the schools, for football at least, and essentially become pro.

The rest of sports may go back to actually valuing education, as has been whispered about even Notre Dame.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Xudash » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:37 pm

DeltaV wrote:
Xudash wrote:

I think the media and university leaders see this as the real first step to two super conferences. BIG and SEC will fill out and essentially be the AFC and NFC. Maybe go back to divisions for some more geographic sensibilities, but they'll distance themselves from the rest of the schools, for football at least, and essentially become pro.

The rest of sports may go back to actually valuing education, as has been whispered about even Notre Dame.

I believe you are spot on with this. I also continue to believe that they are solving for football and that basketball and the NCAAT will not be impacted by these moves.

I am looking for a truly defendable reason for why they will not screw up the NCAAT and I keep coming up with the television executives. If we accept that both ESPN and Fox are behind the curtain, helping to cause all of these massive shifts in conference realignment, then it is also true that, in this case, CBS, et al will dictate the value of the television package for the NCAAT. Inclusiveness is the pixie dust of that tournament. Everyone and their mother knows and understands that.

Everything that we are seeing now is all about football. We have to continue to hope and believe that they are solving for football and that basketball is along for the ride. We have to navigate the NIL piece. We have to hope that our television package remains strong for a basketball conference.

Otherwise and seriously, what must Boston College‘s AD be thinking right now? And he obviously is not alone.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby DeltaV » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:06 am

One of the big differences between basketball and football (actually, more specifically NFL and NBA) is the amount of time players have to wait before leaving for the pros. Basketball players only have to wait one year, and there is more of a push lately to allow them to go straight into the NBA (can't they go G League or whatever it's called right away? Or play in Europe), while there really is no other option for football players than wait three years in college.

I think that means college players may want to actually be there a bit more. There are a lot more options out there if college ball players want to get paid, instead of NCAA football being the only real minor league. My point is somewhat tangential, but I think that means that college basketball teams will be treated a bit less like pro teams than big college football. Sure, many players still dream of playing pro, but they don't have to be in college to continue on that path.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:50 pm

All financial indicators indicate college athletics has never been stronger. Y'all are a bunch of pessimists
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Xudash » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:11 pm

DudeAnon wrote:All financial indicators indicate college athletics has never been stronger. Y'all are a bunch of pessimists

Do a little research into the amount of student fees that subsidize most college athletic departments (i.e. outside probably the top 15 - 20 schools; the Ohio State, Texas and Alabama's of the world) and get back to us on your thoughts about the financial strength of college athletics, at least at the highest level for especially programs that field a football team.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:14 pm

The football 5 or so are solving for football - only. Let'er rip.

The B1G wants Notre Dame so that they can humble the Golden Domers, finally. Notre Dame: Just say no.
Also, regardless of how this all sorts out...just say no to any overtures from Kansas.

gtmo
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:30 pm

Xudash wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:All financial indicators indicate college athletics has never been stronger. Y'all are a bunch of pessimists

Do a little research into the amount of student fees that subsidize most college athletic departments (i.e. outside probably the top 15 - 20 schools; the Ohio State, Texas and Alabama's of the world) and get back to us on your thoughts about the financial strength of college athletics, at least at the highest level for especially programs that field a football team.

In my lifetime I have seen college athletics do nothing but get larger. Bigger stadiums, tv deals, ticket prices etc. But somehow I am supposed to conclude the sport is dying vs minor league football?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board