Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:14 pm

The amount of hate in this board towards Connecticut... geez...

I hope Connecticut bounces back and doesn't have to give up football. It's entirely okay to have the P5 aspirations even though is a long shot. Connecticut has invested a lot to improve their football program and for almost a decade they enjoyed sell-out crowds as part of the BCS Big East. They have fallen in tough times but if they start winning they can draw. Its happening to all CFB programs in the Northeast. Syracuse, Connecticut, Boston College are all experiencing lower attendance
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TAMU Eagle » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:38 pm

stever20 wrote:
TAMU Eagle wrote:Tide is slowly changing at UConn. Be patient. If their other programs continue to struggle, than football will eventually get the heave ho. Every team other than football would rather be in the Big East than the American. Unless football starts generating enough revenue to make up for the other sports, which they won't, then they will have to do what's best for the many instead of the one.

I don't think I would say every sport. The other major sport at UConn- Women's basketball- would prefer the AAC over the Big East. ESPN's helped them get a lot of great matchups.

Geno disagrees with you.
TAMU Eagle

Postby TAMU Eagle » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:40 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:The amount of hate in this board towards Connecticut... geez...

I hope Connecticut bounces back and doesn't have to give up football. It's entirely okay to have the P5 aspirations even though is a long shot. Connecticut has invested a lot to improve their football program and for almost a decade they enjoyed sell-out crowds as part of the BCS Big East. They have fallen in tough times but if they start winning they can draw. Its happening to all CFB programs in the Northeast. Syracuse, Connecticut, Boston College are all experiencing lower attendance

I don't hate UConn at all. I want them in the Big East. I think they will be in the next ten years.
TAMU Eagle

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:41 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:The amount of hate in this board towards Connecticut... geez...

It's not hate, it's just a sad reality. UConn isn't alone in the foolish and blind quest of attempted entry into the P5. The tragedy behind it all is the excessive spending on athletic programs that aren't in the P5, like a UConn, in hopes of hopefully getting a return of investment with a P5 invitation. Some of these schools are betting a substantial amount of money, that athletics isn't earning - proven by the percentage of subsidies being paid by G5 athletic programs, in hopes they get it back with a power conference membership.

I love college sports as much as anyone, but there is a limit on every school's ability to continue to spend and fund its athletic programs. Forget about a potential invitation to a power conference, but there is no guarantee that UConn (and the AAC) receives a huge bump in pay from ESPN in their next TV deal. Those athletic programs cannot continue supporting $60, $70 million in athletic budgets on a small $1.7 million, or even $4-$5 million, TV revenue steam. The B1G, SEC, ACC, Big 12 and PAC-12 all can, that's why they are power conferences.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:45 pm

TAMU Eagle wrote:
stever20 wrote:
TAMU Eagle wrote:Tide is slowly changing at UConn. Be patient. If their other programs continue to struggle, than football will eventually get the heave ho. Every team other than football would rather be in the Big East than the American. Unless football starts generating enough revenue to make up for the other sports, which they won't, then they will have to do what's best for the many instead of the one.

I don't think I would say every sport. The other major sport at UConn- Women's basketball- would prefer the AAC over the Big East. ESPN's helped them get a lot of great matchups.

Geno disagrees with you.

Totally disagree. Geno was disappointed the Baylor game wasn't on- but said that it would have gotten lost in the shuffle because of TNF along with the Houston/Louisville game. The game was just on the wrong night. Do you have other stuff saying he would prefer the Big East?
stever20

Postby Burrito » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:51 pm

I don't follow college football, but I find it amazing that Boston College is now bowl eligible with six wins over 1) UMass 2) Wagner 3) Buffalo 4) UConn 5) Wake Forest and 6) NC State.
Not exactly the toughest lineup.

UConn picked a bad time to be mediocre in both football and basketball.
Burrito

Postby EMT » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:56 pm

UCONN has had 12 sellouts in the last 10 years. And 1 (Michigan) since 2010. The fact that sellouts is a section of their Wiki page says it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectic ... l#Sellouts
EMT

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:00 pm

EMT wrote:

UCONN has had 12 sellouts in the last 10 years. And 1 (Michigan) since 2010. The fact that sellouts is a section of their Wiki page says it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectic ... l#Sellouts

EMT,

the 2003-11 years for Connecticut were well attended and every season had multiple sellouts. Things started turning south in 2011 and so far they have yet to recover. Go back to Wikipedia and check their season attendances. It wasn't bad at all. BCS football was sustainable in Connecticut until realignment and bad teams destroyed much of what they built. But as someone who follows Connecticut football I would hate to see it drop down to 1-AA after the massive investments made.

Oh well, we will find out soon enough the path the University takes
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby whiteandblue77 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:03 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:
EMT wrote:

I hope Connecticut bounces back and doesn't have to give up football. It's entirely okay to have the P5 aspirations ...

Oh well, we will find out soon enough the path the University takes

what do you mean by soon enough? is there something we dont know about? UCONN's ony option is to stay in the AAC, correct? That seems to be very long term
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby EMT » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:00 pm

ecasadoSBU

That's fair but UConn capacity is still among the smallest in D1 and smaller than a lot of HS stadiums in Texas. Being 97% of a 40,000 stadium is not going to excite the power conferences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... y_capacity
EMT

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board