Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:40 am

billyjack wrote:Couple of things...

- Side note... the Big East has advantages that are often overlooked. For example, it is in the interest of the NBA and the basketball world to have a strong basketball-centric conference. A college hoops world dominated by dumbass college football is not a good thing for the NBA or the basketball world in general. So i would imagine the NBA etc would be sympathetic to the Big East.

Interesting comment, one that I have never heard. Can you amplify why it is not a good thing for the NBA to have college hoops dominated by P5 school athletes?

I looked at numerous Mock NBA Drafts (for what they are worth), and the first round is entirely made up of P5 school players + foreign players. UNLV and Georgia State each have a player slotted anywhere from late, late first to high second round this year.

I am interested in your response. I won't come back and criticize your rationale.
HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:11 pm

HoosierPal wrote:

- Side note... the Big East has advantages that are often overlooked. For example, it is in the interest of the NBA and the basketball world to have a strong basketball-centric conference. A college hoops world dominated by dumbass college football is not a good thing for the NBA or the basketball world in general. So i would imagine the NBA etc would be sympathetic to the Big East.

Interesting comment, one that I have never heard. Can you amplify why it is not a good thing for the NBA to have college hoops dominated by P5 school athletes?

I looked at numerous Mock NBA Drafts (for what they are worth), and the first round is entirely made up of P5 school players + foreign players. UNLV and Georgia State each have a player slotted anywhere from late, late first to high second round this year.

I am interested in your response. I won't come back and criticize your rationale.

Why would I assume that you'd criticize my response...?

If you're an NBA person, you value the sport and you want hoops to continue gaining popularity and continue stoking the interest of fans. You'd like to keep the sport growing. You view college hoops as an extremely popular 350-team minor league feeder system, with fantastic rivalries and amazing traditions. And though you realize that not all college hoops fans are NBA fans, and vice versa, you know that the college hoops rivalries, traditions, fan interest, and popularity gains can only ultimately be something positive that grow the sport.

Along comes the dinosaur-brained college football people, that absolutely roll over those college hoops traditions, destroying hoops rivalries. You have pull-string stuffed animal football people continually repeating that "football drives the bus". You then look over at a college conference that is absolutely and totally committed to hoops... not football. As an NBA guy, I would think that a Big East type conference would be very appealing. Each of our 10 schools with amazing traditions and great fanbases. Tournament located in Madison Square Garden. Bottom line-- a conference that treats hoops as a top priority...!

All things being equal, it should be expected that the NBA would tend to favor that hoops-first conference. In fact, our commissioner was David Stern second-in-command, and president of the WNBA. Another NBA guy, Stu Jackson, was also eager to join us. Coach Wojo, upon being hired at Marquette, made a comment about how amazing the hoops-first Big East was, saying (paraphrasing) "for basketball people, what is there not to like about the Big East..." I would think the NBA would be extremely interested in seeing a hoops-first conference absolutely thrive.

Anyway, that's a quick explanation of my thought process on this.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Ugly week for FS1. Ratings Feb 2 thru the 8th.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/nbcsn-f ... y-2-8.html
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:47 pm

MUPanther wrote:Ugly week for FS1. Ratings Feb 2 thru the 8th.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/nbcsn-f ... y-2-8.html

I actually disagree. The ratings week to week obviously were going to go down because the prior week had the Super Bowl, so a lot more folks were watching the pregame/postgame coverage I think.
stever20

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:04 pm

billyjack wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:

Why would I assume that you'd criticize my response...?

If you're an NBA person, you value the sport and you want hoops to continue gaining popularity and continue stoking the interest of fans. You'd like to keep the sport growing. You view college hoops as an extremely popular 350-team minor league feeder system, with fantastic rivalries and amazing traditions. And though you realize that not all college hoops fans are NBA fans, and vice versa, you know that the college hoops rivalries, traditions, fan interest, and popularity gains can only ultimately be something positive that grow the sport.

Along comes the dinosaur-brained college football people, that absolutely roll over those college hoops traditions, destroying hoops rivalries. You have pull-string stuffed animal football people continually repeating that "football drives the bus". You then look over at a college conference that is absolutely and totally committed to hoops... not football. As an NBA guy, I would think that a Big East type conference would be very appealing. Each of our 10 schools with amazing traditions and great fanbases. Tournament located in Madison Square Garden. Bottom line-- a conference that treats hoops as a top priority...!

All things being equal, it should be expected that the NBA would tend to favor that hoops-first conference. In fact, our commissioner was David Stern second-in-command, and president of the WNBA. Another NBA guy, Stu Jackson, was also eager to join us. Coach Wojo, upon being hired at Marquette, made a comment about how amazing the hoops-first Big East was, saying (paraphrasing) "for basketball people, what is there not to like about the Big East..." I would think the NBA would be extremely interested in seeing a hoops-first conference absolutely thrive.

Anyway, that's a quick explanation of my thought process on this.

I don't see how that really impacts anything, aside from positive vibes.

How would the NBA favoring an all-hoops conference in CBB, impact almost anything? NBA teams are not more likely to draft prospects out of the BE based on that. Nor is the NBa going to help out the BE in ratings, or anything else. Of course hoops guys want to help hoops guys, but there's really nothing that can be done.

The NBA is marketing itself internationally, to expand. That's where extra viewers are coming into play, and extra dollars. The NBA gains nothing from the Big East being more successful, as opposed to the PAC12 being more successful on their hoops side.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:26 pm

robinreed,

The major things I have to say is if FS1 doesn't have the Big East in wintertime, where else can FS1 go. They have almost nothing in live sports programming. FS1 needs the Big East. The Georgetown-Butler 5th place game in the Battle 4 Atlantis on ESPN in November got about 500,000 viewers. So, it's not a Big East problem more of viewers just not in the practice of turning on FS1 for sports. They only get 22 Pac-12 games in the TV contract. Nevermind ESPN, but the numbers for FS1 are on par and better than some games on ESPNU and ESPN News and they are crushing what NBCSN gets for their basketball game. It's a shame that St. Bonnies buzzer beater win last Saturday versus VCU got 38,000 viewers. So, no, FOX isn't, can't and doesn't want to break the contract with the Big East. I'm pretty sure FOX knew they would have these numbers.

I'm a huge college football fan and in October in the 9pm window an lesser PAC-12 football game (#14 Arizona State at Washington) got an better rating than a higher profile Pac-12 game which ending in the final seconds (#20 USC at #19 Utah) on FS1 in the same window.

It was disapointing that FS1 couldn't get a piece of the NBA, so it's a must that FOX can get at least 50% of the B1G contract. Things will work out!
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:23 am

Solid hoops line-up on FS1 on Sunday.
2pm St. John's at DePaul (women's)
4pm Stanford at Colorado
6:30 Arizona at Washington State
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Feb. 9-15 ratings
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/nbcsn-f ... -9-15.html

Last Tuesday's Georgetown at Seton Hall gets a 0.0 63K is that right? I know UK ast LSU was on, but come'on! :( :( :(
MUPanther

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:46 am

MUPanther wrote:Feb. 9-15 ratings
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/nbcsn-f ... -9-15.html

Last Tuesday's Georgetown at Seton Hall gets a 0.0 63K is that right? I know UK ast LSU was on, but come'on! :( :( :(

What's sad is that CAA Basketball: Northeastern at Hofstra Drew 73k viewers. Lots of other BE games drew in the 100k+ range, so that's good - maybe it was all about watching UK that night. Perplexing to see Saint Bonaventure at television viewing powerhouse Dayton draw 24k.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby MackNova » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:28 am

Most college basketball fans watch their team play first. If you're not a Georgetown or Seton Hall fan, you're probably not going out of your way to find FS1 to watch it. Most fans would default to the ESPN game in that scenario.
MackNova

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board