Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby handdownmandown » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Creighton is currently in search of a new rival, not reaching back for an old one.

I'd say less than 20% of fans are interested in keeping the series going.
handdownmandown

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
jaxalum wrote:
Dayton will NEVER happen. One of many reasons is member schools/school presidents will absolutely respect and protect one anothers "turf".

Mileage Between Cities Calculator
Rand McNally wrote:
Storrs, CT. to Providence, RI. = 50.3 miles

Dayton, OH. to Cincinnati, OH. = 48.9 miles

On this thread, there are many posts by Xavier fans clamoring for UConn (2-4; RPI # 249) to join the Big East if it ever expands. Ironic, isn’t it?

If I were you, since you've been banned from at least two boards, I would be careful.

Beyond that, you should consider the level of stupidity you achieved with this post. Dayton will never be confused with UCONN. Certain exceptions are possible when it comes to certain expansion "candidates."
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby JohnW22 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:27 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
jaxalum wrote:
Dayton will NEVER happen. One of many reasons is member schools/school presidents will absolutely respect and protect one anothers "turf".

Rand McNally wrote:

On this thread, there are many posts by Xavier fans clamoring for UConn (2-4; RPI # 249) to join the Big East if it ever expands. Ironic, isn’t it?

UCONN has 4 championships since 1999...nough said
XU
JohnW22

Postby Xudash » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:36 pm

jaxalum wrote:Dayton will NEVER happen. One of many reasons is member schools/school presidents will absolutely respect and protect one anothers "turf". Do you think St Joes or Temple would ever sniff this league, or any of the other Philly 4. Hell no! That is Villanova territory. How about George Washington with Gtown down the street. I've heard this first hand as just one reason of many, but the matter of saturating an area with member schools creates a much smaller pool for those 2 or 3 schools to pull in top recruits. Butler is already a couple of hours away, and even a that distance, Xavier has engaged in some bloody recruitung battles with the Bulldogs. Kelan Martin, Trevon Bluiett, Joey Brunke (a TOP target for X that is a Bulldog), and the one I thought we had in the bag: Matt Howard. That stung, but how can one argue his choice, as he was a perfect fit for that school/team, and not to mention the two Nat Champ games.

We have the luxury of not having to expand, and what a colossal error it would be if we did, picking up a couple of schools "just because", with no real brand recognition in cities that people would never think of going to unless forced ........ than, 10-15 years down the line, there is a breakup and we have the pick of "brand name" schools, but we've filled our slots? I like what I hear from Ackerman, as she seems to look at the conference 5,10,and 20 years down the line, and there is not a single school (that's realistic) that fits. And this IS NOT an invitation for you Dayton dwellers to make a case, or ague your counterpoint.

This.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Sactowndog » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:43 pm

JohnW22 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:I'm all for expansion, as noted in this thread and others. Just don't want any public schools in the mix. They don't fit into the leagues' current configuration.

I am not a mindreader, so don't know what the President's of the universities have as their criteria for any potential future expansion candidates? Their list is probably a short one.

I want the Zags out west and Duke out east...so I will wait on the next football 5 raid to shake out a few candidate schools.
;)

Well the funny thing is when you look at top rivals many are public schools:
* Xavier many say Cinci but curious who those on this board would say
* Marquette fans talk about Wisconsin
* Providence talks about UConn
* Creighton has no rival but WS

I don't care what many on this board would say...there's nobody that's even as close to a rival for Xavier as Cincinnati. Saying anybody other than Cincinnati is Xavier's rival would be a crazy claim. Who would even come up close to Cincinnati...Dayton???

I would tend to agree which is why Cincinnati without football would be my absolute first choice. The problem with this conference is few fan bases would say they despise school X in conference. The only exception is maybe Georgetown - Villanova and Seton Hall - St Johns.

I really don't get the Creighton invite alone. They have no rival, no proximity to anyone and Providence is their travel partner. In the east, we have a number of interesting additions: UConn ( with no football), VCU, UMass (with no football). In the Midwest the options are far less.
Sactowndog

Postby Omahanian » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:08 pm

Sactowndog wrote:I would tend to agree which is why Cincinnati without football would be my absolute first choice. The problem with this conference is few fan bases would say they despise school X in conference. The only exception is maybe Georgetown - Villanova and Seton Hall - St Johns.

I really don't get the Creighton invite alone. They have no rival, no proximity to anyone and Providence is their travel partner. In the east, we have a number of interesting additions: UConn ( with no football), VCU, UMass (with no football). In the Midwest the options are far less.

Yawn
C R E I G H T O N
Omahanian

Postby jaxalum » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Xudash wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
jaxalum wrote:

Rand McNally wrote:

If I were you, since you've been banned from at least two boards, I would be careful.

Beyond that, you should consider the level of stupidity you achieved with this post. Dayton will never be confused with UCONN. Certain exceptions are possible when it comes to certain expansion "candidates."

The ignorance on this board from certain outsiders is staggering. Your rebuttal to proximity carrying absolutely zero weight is priceless, and the examples you use in DUKE and NORT CAROLINA to make your point, I mean thats F#cktard stupid. Tell me you are joking....please. There are so many reasons wrong with that ridiculous retort. You are talking about the Bluest of the Blue Bloods. Their recruiting "turf" (as I outlined as an important factor with proximity) is EVERYWHERE/ like the entire planet. You could put those two schools, hell you could connect those two schools and they would continue to win national championships. Xavier/Butler, while they have indeed increased their notoriety and overall brand, we still do not have the "name" to recruit the entire country, hence the majority of our players come from certain areas that ARE TARGETED. Uconn is another asinine example where proximity is not a factor. They've won FOUR national championships in the last 16 years. They no doubt were a power/ and walking toe to toe with the big boys before the Big East/C7 scenario became a reality, and they were left out in the cold. But UCONN is absolutley a NATIONAL brand. I'm still in shock that this needs an explanation:

-Memeber schools will do everything they can to protect their interests, which are many. I used recruiting "turf" as one. You put three schools that close together, there are so many top players to be had. ALL THREE SCHOOLS WILL SUFFER AS WILL THE PRODUCTS THEY PUT ON THE COURT. And Dayton has zero appeal as a city and are a blip at best on the national landscape that is college basketball.

-There are obvious additions, schools that are absolute no brainer decisions, where proximity....NOTHING matters as they are "home run" additions i.e. Notre Dame, UCONN (I understand the arguemts there and respect both sides). If Notre Dame was 5 miles from X, I would endorse them as a member. They instantly bring more credibility, notoriety, loads of PR, etc.

-As for Sactowndogs ideas, especially the X vs Cincinnati scenario, its been a top 5 rivalry for 70 plus years. ( It's absolutely thrived the way it is). Yea, lets invite our top rival into our thriving conference that has let us rather quickly pass them on the national stage...ie top 5-10 all last year/top 10 recruiting class signed sealed and wrapped for this year. Your idea was to invite them into the conference? You wanna rethink that nugget of genius again?

-Obviously we are dealing with people that have never experienced, understand competition in all forms(perhaps played no sports/ business sales). It's pretty simple. You do everything you can to beat the other guy/entity...better prepare yourself, work harder, look for every possible weakness to exploit, flaunt and utilize your strengths,........and keep a bunch of obnoxious, red sweater vest wearing, red necks out of your conference.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:34 am

And THIS is why UConn Football is not long for this world. After another embarassing loss to Tulane, 38-13, one in which there were not even 10k in the stands, UConn fell to 3-9 on the season - falling to 11-26 under Bob Diaco (6-18 in AAC play). Dating back to the Paul Pasqualoni hire in 2011, they have gone 24-49 overall and 14-32 in conference (BE/AAC). Fans have stopped showing up, and season tickets next year are already in big decline. There are already reports saying that Bob Diaco will return next year, as his $5 million buyout is too much for UConn to afford right now. If you cannot afford to fire a coach, then you clearly don't belong at that level.

Rough year for UConn. Football, Men's Basketball, Men's Hockey and Men's Soccer all under performed mightily this season. They could not have hit a rough patch, athletically, at a more worse time. TV money is at the lowest it has been for them ($1.7 million per year from ESPN for AAC). The Big East war chest dries up within the year (exit fees/tournament credits for UConn/UC/USF). No P5 invitation coming anytime within the next 10 years. Nearly 40% of the UConn athletic budget is from subsidy, a typical number from a non-P5 conference school.

At least UConn gets to slap some goofy looking P6 stickers on their football helmets, courtesy of Mike Aresco. That'll show the world they belong... :roll:
GoldenWarrior11

Postby TAMU Eagle » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:45 am

Tide is slowly changing at UConn. Be patient. If their other programs continue to struggle, than football will eventually get the heave ho. Every team other than football would rather be in the Big East than the American. Unless football starts generating enough revenue to make up for the other sports, which they won't, then they will have to do what's best for the many instead of the one.
TAMU Eagle

Postby stever20 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:09 pm

TAMU Eagle wrote:Tide is slowly changing at UConn. Be patient. If their other programs continue to struggle, than football will eventually get the heave ho. Every team other than football would rather be in the Big East than the American. Unless football starts generating enough revenue to make up for the other sports, which they won't, then they will have to do what's best for the many instead of the one.

I don't think I would say every sport. The other major sport at UConn- Women's basketball- would prefer the AAC over the Big East. ESPN's helped them get a lot of great matchups.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board