Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby HoosierPal » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:54 pm

billyjack wrote:- Big East schools have always drawn fans from beyond their alumni base. The schools' hoops teams belong to all the fans in each of our metro areas.

You may have highlighted a problem. All schools, of course, draw beyond their alumni base, with the state schools having a huge advantage.

In Indiana, the IU territory (viewers) stretches from Evansville to Ft. Wayne to the Calumet Region. (Carve out Lafayette.) The Butler territory is primarily Indianapolis.
HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:56 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Pretty lame article IMO. First, the Big East ratings this year are better than last year. Second, he compares Big East ratings to basketball ratings on the big ESPN channel. You compare anything on Fox Sports 1 to main ESPN and you are gonna lose big time. Right now, FS1 is comparable and better than ESPNU/NBC Sports Network/CBS Sports Network.

Lastly, Big East games have regularly received better ratings than Pac-12 games. Is anyone saying there is a Pac-12 problem? For example, the games from January 19-25 were as follows:

7 COLLEGE BASKETBALL: BIG EAST: Georgetown at Marquette Sat 2:34PM- 5:09PM 155 0.1 233
8 COLLEGE BASKETBALL: BIG EAST: Creighton at Butler Wed 9:14PM-11:31PM 137 0.1 173
9 COLLEGE BASKETBALL: BIG EAST: DePaul at Xavier Sat 12:00PM- 2:08PM 128 0.1 161
10 COLLEGE BASKETBALL: BIG EAST: Villanova at Georgetown Mon 9:00PM-11:26PM 146 0.1 154
12 COLLEGE BASKETBALL: BIG EAST: Creighton at Villanova Sun 7:00PM- 9:00PM 120 0.1 130
15 COLLEGE BASKETBALL: BIG EAST: Marquette at St. John’s Wed 7:00PM- 9:14PM 134 0.1 107
16 COLLEGE BASKETBALL: PAC 12: Washington at Colorado Thu 9:30PM-11:29PM 119 0.1 94
24 COLLEGE BASKETBALL: BIG EAST: DePaul at Seton Hall Thu 7:00PM- 9:27PM 147 0.1 82

Valid points, but your comparing some BE games to the 11th placed PAC12 team against the 9th placed team. Neither of those are big hoops programs. My brother is a CU grad, still follows their horrendous football team, but won't watch much of their bball.

Another poster mentioned losing "brands" like ND, Louisville and Syracuse. Those brand teams are also public institutions (at least SU and Louisville) and churning out alumni at a great rate than private institutions. My VCU fandom aside, does anyone else think that is a factor (even if it's a small one?). When a public school is graduating 7-9k a year, it may make a difference.

Of course I think the private schools have a higher alumni donor rate, as well as post-grad median earnings.

This was just an example. If u look at the ratings this year, the Big East games regularly outdraw the Pac-12 games. The Big East tournament final outdrew the Pac-12 finals last year as well.
Jet915

Postby butlerguy03 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:03 am

HoosierPal wrote:In Indiana, the IU territory (viewers) stretches from Evansville to Ft. Wayne to the Calumet Region. (Carve out Lafayette.) The Butler territory is primarily Indianapolis.

Not even that. A pocket on the north side of Indianapolis. You can barely find Butler gear to buy outside of campus. Even sports stores like Dick's only has one or two t-shirts.

It's been said that Butler basketball has more pull outside the state than inside Indiana. I believe that is true.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby MUPanther » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:35 am

It will take time for FS1 to grow. The network itselfs numbers have been up thanks to year 2 of college football and MLB/MLB playoff. With golf, women's world cup and MLS added for this summer, I look for things to continue to grow.

This is last year ratings for college basketball to put numbers in the light for hoops. Of the 942 games on CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC, FOX, FS1, FS2 and NBCSN only 9 drew a 2.0 rating or higher. 770 drew a 0.5 rating or lower. 524 drew a 0.1 or lower. 246 had a 0.0 rating.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby HoosierPal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:15 pm

From today's Butler Insider, Michael Pointer's blog.

The Butler-Villanova game is on CBS Sports Network, so check your local listings. The Big East's television contract is with Fox, but a few games are shipped out to CBS Sports Network. I am guessing Fox would have tried to keep this game on one of its channels if it had any idea of its significance before the season.
HoosierPal

Postby MUPanther » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:35 pm

That goes without saying, but it is what it is. CBS will pimp the game in the day about the CBSSN game of VU-BU. I'm glad we are on CBSSN and I'm glad FS1 gets their money. We can take all the networks we can get to talk about the Big East.

Steve Lappas works on Sirius XM College channel, if the Big East wasn't on CBSSN, he wouldn't be talking Big East hoops that much, if at all.
MUPanther

Postby marquette » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:39 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:Valid points, but your comparing some BE games to the 11th placed PAC12 team against the 9th placed team. Neither of those are big hoops programs. My brother is a CU grad, still follows their horrendous football team, but won't watch much of their bball.

Another poster mentioned losing "brands" like ND, Louisville and Syracuse. Those brand teams are also public institutions (at least SU and Louisville) and churning out alumni at a great rate than private institutions. My VCU fandom aside, does anyone else think that is a factor (even if it's a small one?). When a public school is graduating 7-9k a year, it may make a difference.

Of course I think the private schools have a higher alumni donor rate, as well as post-grad median earnings.

Syracuse and Notre Dame are not public schools. Syracuse and Notre Dame have lower enrollments than DePaul and St. John's. Louisville is also smaller than DePaul and only 1k larger than St. John's. Notre Dame is smaller than Marquette. Size may be a factor, but it isn't the only one.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby MUPanther » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:56 pm

Some 2/7 TV Ratings
Saturday
1.29 rating CBS 1:00 pm Notre Dame at Duke
0.47 rating FOX 2:00 pm Georgetown at Villanova
0.66 rating FOX 4:30 pm Arizona at Arizona State
0.70 rating ESPN 12:00 pm Illinois at Michigan State
0.76 rating ESPN 2:00 pm Kansas at Oklahoma State
0.59 rating ESPN 4:00 pm Texas at Kansas State
1.31 rating ESPN 7:00 pm Louisville at Virginia
2.01 rating ESPN 9:00 pm Kentucky at Florida

As you can see two top 10 match-up's in the ACC failed to get a 2.0 rating.
MUPanther

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:19 pm

marquette wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:Valid points, but your comparing some BE games to the 11th placed PAC12 team against the 9th placed team. Neither of those are big hoops programs. My brother is a CU grad, still follows their horrendous football team, but won't watch much of their bball.

Syracuse and Notre Dame are not public schools. Syracuse and Notre Dame have lower enrollments than DePaul and St. John's. Louisville is also smaller than DePaul and only 1k larger than St. John's. Notre Dame is smaller than Marquette. Size may be a factor, but it isn't the only one.

I didn't state Notre Dame was public (read it again), and was wrong about Syracuse - which another poster already corrected.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:31 pm

butlerguy03 wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:In Indiana, the IU territory (viewers) stretches from Evansville to Ft. Wayne to the Calumet Region. (Carve out Lafayette.) The Butler territory is primarily Indianapolis.

Not even that. A pocket on the north side of Indianapolis. You can barely find Butler gear to buy outside of campus. Even sports stores like Dick's only has one or two t-shirts.

It's been said that Butler basketball has more pull outside the state than inside Indiana. I believe that is true.

Thats because you guys have to get away from Nike. When we were with them the last 10 years of our deal it was nearly impossible to find any gear. Not even in the Sports Authority 100 yards from MSG. Though once we signed with Under Armour we now have a ton of awesome gear. Very happy with our move away from the swoosh.

NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board