Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby Sactowndog » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:42 pm

billyjack wrote:Nobody cares about Wichita. Good program, but it's in Nowhere Kansas.

Well being from no where Kansas certainly hasn't hurt KU. And you have to admit a state slam is a little amusing coming from blink and you are through it Rhode Island. Do you guys have 4 electoral votes yet?

As for the Stever comment, nope not him. He doesn't live anywhere near Sacramento and if you look at the time of my posts he would need to likely be on the west coast to make them. I'm not a WSU fan or Stever. I am a fan of Butler who would like to see the Big East be successful. I honestly don't think they will be long term with their current ratings and configuaration. I also watched up close the MWC squander their advantageous position by staying at 9 teams when they should have expanded. They missed their opportunity to grow and expand with the same narrow non-visionary thinking I see here. That's fine it is what it is.
Sactowndog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:05 pm

stever20 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:I admire the Wichita program but certainly not a Wichita fan. What's the problem guys can't deal with facts. Yes I have claimed from the beginning, as a Butler fan, that the Big East was set up to fail in the marketplace. The marketplace is defined by the ratings you pull. Without ratings you lose cash and with no cash you lose coaches. Given limited data it seemed prudent to see how things panned out. Last year was telling. On Fox, with a national champion caliber team, and you still trail the AAC, MWC and A-10 in ratings.

I can see most of you still don't care, which is fine. I'm not tied to the Big East but if you have continuous poor ratings and do nothing, eventually you will lose your Fox payday then things will slide from there.

Here's where I disagree with you 100%. The ratings that the Big East should see this year will go up and maybe considerably because of Nova winning the title last year. Also, the Cubs playoff run helps out FS1 some(though there's still some question about the channel).

And bottom line, if the Big East was going to add, and UConn aboard, it'd just be 1 more. And VCU would be far more likely than Wichita.

I don't know who's side to choose :shock:
XU
JohnW22

Postby billyjack » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:44 am

Sactowndog wrote:
billyjack wrote:Nobody cares about Wichita. Good program, but it's in Nowhere Kansas.

Well being from no where Kansas certainly hasn't hurt KU. And you have to admit a state slam is a little amusing coming from blink and you are through it Rhode Island. Do you guys have 4 electoral votes yet?

As for the Stever comment, nope not him. He doesn't live anywhere near Sacramento and if you look at the time of my posts he would need to likely be on the west coast to make them. I'm not a WSU fan or Stever. I am a fan of Butler who would like to see the Big East be successful. I honestly don't think they will be long term with their current ratings and configuaration. I also watched up close the MWC squander their advantageous position by staying at 9 teams when they should have expanded. They missed their opportunity to grow and expand with the same narrow non-visionary thinking I see here. That's fine it is what it is.

Sactown, great win for Butler tonight...! You'll definitely be ranked on Monday. Enjoy brother!

On Wichita, simple answer is that no one in the Northeast Corridor nor in our Midwestern cities cares about Wichita Kansas... and vice versa. I would never expect anyone in central Kansas nor Oklahoma nor Texas, etc, to care about Providence... but we're in the Northeast Corridor so we fit with NYC, Phila, etc.

As far as Boston, i've come to the conclusion that Northeastern may be an eventual solid expansion candidate if things break right for them. VCU like you mentioned is also already solid, along with Dayton.

I think the Catholic vs Protestant or State or whatever is outdated thinking. No one cares about that anymore i hope. Like i said, the best ratings ever were in a game between two Catholics in 85.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:48 am

Just want to add... i think a benefit would be if the conference had 1 or 2 mentalcase coaches... that may help ratings .
Providence
billyjack

Postby Sactowndog » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:23 am

stever20 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
handdownmandown wrote:Back when it was announced the OBE was breaking up (but before the ultimate announcement of additions) there were two active boards. Without having a dog in the fight, Sactowndog became the CSN keeper of the Wichiturd flame, which used to crack me up since they had zero chance of admission.

In fact, when he popped up here to lecture us, the first thing I thought was, the Wichita fanboi is back! And then he posts that.

I admire the Wichita program but certainly not a Wichita fan. What's the problem guys can't deal with facts. Yes I have claimed from the beginning, as a Butler fan, that the Big East was set up to fail in the marketplace. The marketplace is defined by the ratings you pull. Without ratings you lose cash and with no cash you lose coaches. Given limited data it seemed prudent to see how things panned out. Last year was telling. On Fox, with a national champion caliber team, and you still trail the AAC, MWC and A-10 in ratings.

I can see most of you still don't care, which is fine. I'm not tied to the Big East but if you have continuous poor ratings and do nothing, eventually you will lose your Fox payday then things will slide from there.

Here's where I disagree with you 100%. The ratings that the Big East should see this year will go up and maybe considerably because of Nova winning the title last year. Also, the Cubs playoff run helps out FS1 some(though there's still some question about the channel).

And bottom line, if the Big East was going to add, and UConn aboard, it'd just be 1 more. And VCU would be far more likely than Wichita.

We shall see what happens this year. The league championship game I am using as a compare was on Fox so Fox Sports1 won't matter. I hope your right but I don't think I'm wrong. I would be happy if I were.

As for VCU/UConn/Wichita you need a strong eastern and a strong midwestern team. The midwestern team adds rivalries and midwest interest. VCU and UConn fit in the east not the Midwest. I don't know a better Midwest team.
Sactowndog

Postby Sactowndog » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:39 am

billyjack wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

Sactown, great win for Butler tonight...! You'll definitely be ranked on Monday. Enjoy brother!

On Wichita, simple answer is that no one in the Northeast Corridor nor in our Midwestern cities cares about Wichita Kansas... and vice versa. I would never expect anyone in central Kansas nor Oklahoma nor Texas, etc, to care about Providence... but we're in the Northeast Corridor so we fit with NYC, Phila, etc.

As far as Boston, i've come to the conclusion that Northeastern may be an eventual solid expansion candidate if things break right for them. VCU like you mentioned is also already solid, along with Dayton.

I think the Catholic vs Protestant or State or whatever is outdated thinking. No one cares about that anymore i hope. Like i said, the best ratings ever were in a game between two Catholics in 85.

It was a great win thanks. I think people still care. It comes from public schools loosing to catholic high schools. Something about now we can recruit too ;-). Besides if people are going to root for a school due to religion (Notre Dame, BYU, C7) doesn't it stand to reason others would want to root against them for the same reason? Except in the Big East it's not really possible.

I would argue your point about Kansas would be doubly valid for Nebraska. At least Kansas is a basketball crazy state unlike Nebraska which is a football crazy state. Yet the league still invited Creighton. If I'm right, more small private schools would be out. So what midwestern public school would you choose? Northern Iowa? Western Kentucky?
Last edited by Sactowndog on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sactowndog

Postby Sactowndog » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:42 am

billyjack wrote:Just want to add... i think a benefit would be if the conference had 1 or 2 mentalcase coaches... that may help ratings .

Yeah who are you proposing. Lavin left already.
Sactowndog

Postby jaxalum » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:33 am

billyjack wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

Dayton will NEVER happen. One of many reasons is member schools/school presidents will absolutely respect and protect one anothers "turf". Do you think St Joes or Temple would ever sniff this league, or any of the other Philly 4. Hell no! That is Villanova territory. How about George Washington with Gtown down the street. I've heard this first hand as just one reason of many, but the matter of saturating an area with member schools creates a much smaller pool for those 2 or 3 schools to pull in top recruits. Butler is already a couple of hours away, and even a that distance, Xavier has engaged in some bloody recruitung battles with the Bulldogs. Kelan Martin, Trevon Bluiett, Joey Brunke (a TOP target for X that is a Bulldog), and the one I thought we had in the bag: Matt Howard. That stung, but how can one argue his choice, as he was a perfect fit for that school/team, and not to mention the two Nat Champ games.

We have the luxury of not having to expand, and what a colossal error it would be if we did, picking up a couple of schools "just because", with no real brand recognition in cities that people would never think of going to unless forced ........ than, 10-15 years down the line, there is a breakup and we have the pick of "brand name" schools, but we've filled our slots? I like what I hear from Ackerman, as she seems to look at the conference 5,10,and 20 years down the line, and there is not a single school (that's realistic) that fits. And this IS NOT an invitation for you Dayton dwellers to make a case, or ague your counterpoint.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:49 am

jaxalum wrote:
Dayton will NEVER happen. One of many reasons is member schools/school presidents will absolutely respect and protect one anothers "turf".

Mileage Between Cities Calculator
Rand McNally wrote:
Storrs, CT. to Providence, RI. = 50.3 miles

Dayton, OH. to Cincinnati, OH. = 48.9 miles

On this thread, there are many posts by Xavier fans clamoring for UConn (2-4; RPI # 249) to join the Big East if it ever expands. Ironic, isn’t it?
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Edrick » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:59 am

If that guy is a Butler fan, and not just the obvious Shocker fan playing a role poorly as appears, he's just about the only one in favor of expansion and certainly the only one with a greater than zero interest in a public school -- much less one in The middle of nowhere
Edrick

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board