Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby DemonLS » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:26 pm

DePaul MUST pick up their program as well.

Chicago is a huge market for this conference to try and earn a piece of....not the majority due to the Big Ten....just a much larger share.
DemonLS

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DemonLS » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:27 pm

DePaul MUST pick up their program as well.

Chicago is a huge market for this conference to try and earn a piece of....not the majority due to the Big Ten....just a much larger share.

Marquette wants DePaul to pick so we can revive that rivalry again, which is a very good, long time rival. DePaul also had very good rivalries with St. John's, Gtown, Providence, Nova awhile back.
Last edited by DemonLS on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DemonLS

Postby Sactowndog » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:29 pm

For those who say you can't compete, I'm not talking about being at Big 10 level but you should be better not worse then the MWC, A-10, and AAC. You were behind all three last year. Yes you improved but much of that was due to moving from Fox Sports 1 to Fox. You were on broadcast TV with one of the best teams in the country (Villanova) and still fell behind the other three mid-major leagues. We will see where you land this year.

I don't have a solution that doesn't include expansion. I asked if you did. The city rivalry in interesting but aren't you missing the biggest one of all. Boston - New York?

The only solution I see is expansion. It has multiple affects. 1) it adds density in your East and MidWest markets. It would force divisions and more intensity within divisions. And it adds interest.

I would absolutely add VCU. VCU-Georgetown would form an interesting (virtual in state rivalry).
I would absolutely add Wichita State. Creighton Wichta State hate each other. Silver spoon versus gritty.
If UConn would move they add density on the east and historic rivals.
I would add one more team in the west but not clear who and only if UConn is available.
Sactowndog

Postby handdownmandown » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Sactowndog wrote:For those who say you can't compete, I'm not talking about being at Big 10 level but you should be better not worse then the MWC, A-10, and AAC. You were behind all three last year. Yes you improved but much of that was due to moving from Fox Sports 1 to Fox. You were on broadcast TV with one of the best teams in the country (Villanova) and still fell behind the other three mid-major leagues. We will see where you land this year.

I don't have a solution that doesn't include expansion. I asked if you did. The city rivalry in interesting but aren't you missing the biggest one of all. Boston - New York?

The only solution I see is expansion. It has multiple affects. 1) it adds density in your East and MidWest markets. It would force divisions and more intensity within divisions. And it adds interest.

I would absolutely add VCU. VCU-Georgetown would form an interesting (virtual in state rivalry).
I would absolutely add Wichita State. Creighton Wichta State hate each other. Silver spoon versus gritty.
I would add one more team in the west but not clear who and only if UConn is available.

This is an EXACT rehash of the stuff you were posting as nauseum over on the CSN BBS 3 1/2 years ago when we first started. Add WSU and VCU. I guess you haven't changed.

There are three things that matter over all else right now. Ratings is not one of them. They are: recruiting, scheduling, and seeding. This is where the 'market' decides who is and is not big time. Compare is to the A10 all you want but we kick their asses on all 3 counts. Our recruiting has been strong and this year looks even stronger; we schedule like a power conference (and win like one) - do you see anyone clamoring for an A10 Gavitt Games-style setup? And we have gotten half our teams to the Dance over the last three years and that's likely our floor this season. And, I can point out that while I thought a few of our teams were over seeded a line or two, I don't remember thinking anyone has gotten jobbed by the Committee. No stronger sign of respect than that.

Right now this league needs expansion like it needs a hole in the head, frankly.
handdownmandown

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Sactowndog wrote:For those who say you can't compete, I'm not talking about being at Big 10 level but you should be better not worse then the MWC, A-10, and AAC. You were behind all three last year. Yes you improved but much of that was due to moving from Fox Sports 1 to Fox. You were on broadcast TV with one of the best teams in the country (Villanova) and still fell behind the other three mid-major leagues. We will see where you land this year.

Who is this chode?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby handdownmandown » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Back when it was announced the OBE was breaking up (but before the ultimate announcement of additions) there were two active boards. Without having a dog in the fight, Sactowndog became the CSN keeper of the Wichiturd flame, which used to crack me up since they had zero chance of admission.

In fact, when he popped up here to lecture us, the first thing I thought was, the Wichita fanboi is back! And then he posts that.
handdownmandown

Postby Sactowndog » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:51 pm

handdownmandown wrote:Back when it was announced the OBE was breaking up (but before the ultimate announcement of additions) there were two active boards. Without having a dog in the fight, Sactowndog became the CSN keeper of the Wichiturd flame, which used to crack me up since they had zero chance of admission.

In fact, when he popped up here to lecture us, the first thing I thought was, the Wichita fanboi is back! And then he posts that.

I admire the Wichita program but certainly not a Wichita fan. What's the problem guys can't deal with facts. Yes I have claimed from the beginning, as a Butler fan, that the Big East was set up to fail in the marketplace. The marketplace is defined by the ratings you pull. Without ratings you lose cash and with no cash you lose coaches. Given limited data it seemed prudent to see how things panned out. Last year was telling. On Fox, with a national champion caliber team, and you still trail the AAC, MWC and A-10 in ratings.

I can see most of you still don't care, which is fine. I'm not tied to the Big East but if you have continuous poor ratings and do nothing, eventually you will lose your Fox payday then things will slide from there.
Sactowndog

Postby stever20 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
handdownmandown wrote:Back when it was announced the OBE was breaking up (but before the ultimate announcement of additions) there were two active boards. Without having a dog in the fight, Sactowndog became the CSN keeper of the Wichiturd flame, which used to crack me up since they had zero chance of admission.

I admire the Wichita program but certainly not a Wichita fan. What's the problem guys can't deal with facts. Yes I have claimed from the beginning, as a Butler fan, that the Big East was set up to fail in the marketplace. The marketplace is defined by the ratings you pull. Without ratings you lose cash and with no cash you lose coaches. Given limited data it seemed prudent to see how things panned out. Last year was telling. On Fox, with a national champion caliber team, and you still trail the AAC, MWC and A-10 in ratings.

I can see most of you still don't care, which is fine. I'm not tied to the Big East but if you have continuous poor ratings and do nothing, eventually you will lose your Fox payday then things will slide from there.

Here's where I disagree with you 100%. The ratings that the Big East should see this year will go up and maybe considerably because of Nova winning the title last year. Also, the Cubs playoff run helps out FS1 some(though there's still some question about the channel).

And bottom line, if the Big East was going to add, and UConn aboard, it'd just be 1 more. And VCU would be far more likely than Wichita.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Nobody cares about Wichita. Good program, but it's in Nowhere Kansas.
Providence
billyjack

Postby NJRedman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:25 pm

It's Stevers other handle to get around the Mods.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board