How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:21 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Stever, I couldn't care less about your opinions. You are not a fan of the BE. You have made that abundantly clear. I at least have respect for the fans of the other programs in this league--even when I think they are way off base. You on the other hand play the role of expectations manager, devil's advocate and occasional troll well. But you might as well just admit that's why your here instead of acting like you are a fan of G'town. I have no respect for you because you can't be honest with anyone. You supply your subtle digs of anything BE (V'nova now included) and defend the AAC at every turn. Then you deny that's what you are doing. Your act is old.

Sorry but I am a fan of Georgetown....

And yes, Villanova has disappointed quite a bit. Right now, they are probably quite frankly the biggest NCAA tournament disappointment in the entire nation the last 2 years. Sorry but you are wrong when you say that Nova has held up it's end of the bargain the last 2 years. Because they haven't. What matters in NCAA basketball now is 99% NCAA tournament. You might not like it- but that is reality. Go find me any preview this year that doesn't mention the tournament. Just 1. You aren't going to find it.

I defend the AAC on here because they are way better than folks on here want to make them out. Reading folks on here- makes them look like they're the 20th best conference or something like that. Sorry but that is just dumb. They were better than the Big East 2 years ago(yes, because of the NCAA tourney). Last year was tough- but with how they've been recruiting- and maybe moreso because of the transfers they're getting in- they're going to be pretty good this year. I think it's dumb as crap AAC fans dissing on the Big East, and I think it's dumb as crap Big East fans dissing on the AAC. Like I've said- the better the Big East does- it helps the AAC- and vice versa. The AAC isn't the Big East enemy, the P5 is.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 am

St. Johns hasn't been relevant in years. Hopefully, they will begin to contribute in the upcoming years under Mullin. Nova is the current head of the conference from the public's perspective...this will continue to be the case until a team can surpass them.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:51 pm

stever20 wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:
stever20 wrote:St John's definitely under-achieved in the regular season....

However- that doesn't mean that Nova didn't underachieve in the tourney. To have a 2 and 1 seed- and not advance out of the 1st weekend- there's no way to dismiss that isn't underachieving themselves.

Let's say this- to casual fans- Nova has underachieved WAY more than St John's(or frankly any other Big East school) the last 2 years. Yes the 62-8 record looks wonderful. But College Basketball is primarily what have you done in March, and there's no way to say that Nova hasn't underachieved in March. Nova has to mean more in March than just the piccolo girl.

Oh, look aac homer stever checking in on the subject. To narrow minded fans, maybe Nova has, in your words, "WAY" underachieved more than St. John's, but then again they're narrow minded. Exactly who is your make believe BE team again?, and what have they achieved the last 2 years?

Gotta love Nova fans who think the regular season is the only thing that matters. Sorry- but you go look at any preview this year and I guarantee you the NCAA problems that Nova has had the last 2 years will be on it. Most likely in the first paragraph of the preview.

I mean, look at this SB Nation preview of the conference:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... -marquette
1. Villanova - 'Nova will once again have one of the best backcourts in the country, but everyone associated with the program is fully aware of the stigma that only success in the NCAA Tournament will shed.

the word but is going to be in everything you see about Nova this year. And the thing is Jay Wright knows it.

Still doesn't make it any less narrow minded, but carry on. A sbnation article, really that's the best you got? Sort of proves my point because if sbnation is anything it's superficial and narrow minded. Gotta love aac fans chirping about underachieving. You can claim to be a Georgetown all you want, no one believes you.
Last edited by Westbrook#36 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westbrook#36

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Just checking back in, yep the ankle biters are still yipping.
Westbrook#36

Postby NJRedman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:00 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
So let's talk about facts since you brought it up.

Nova's record in the past 2 years is 62-8 (89% winning pct.). Their record in conference is 32-4 (also 89% winning pct.) with two regular season championships and a BET championship. I believe they were picked to finish in 4th in that first year. There are 6 conf teams that have not yet beaten Nova since the new conference was formed. 6 out of 9, including SJU. They have been ranked in the Top 5 both of the last two years, and no other BE teams have earned more tourney credits than Nova (directly putting $ in SJU's pockets--you're welcome.) So run by us all again how Nova should be feeling that they are the underachievers in the conference?

Now SJU on the other hand is probably the poster child for long term underachievement. In year one of the conference you had a future NBA player in Sampson, perhaps the best 2 guard in the league in Harrison, the best rim protector in the country in Obekpa, one of the most all-around, do-everything, gifted athletes on the wing in Pointer and one of the top 3-4 PG's coming out of HS in Jordan. Result? 6 games behind Nova in the conf standings, a first round BET loss on your home court when a win would have gotten you in the tourney, another first round exit in the NIT, on your home court, as a 1 seed. Year 2? Mediocre league record again--6 games behind Nova in the standings yet again, in a season that included a 37 point loss to the team that you feel underachieved. They squeak into the tourney only to lose by double digits in a toss up 8/9 game.

And we're the underachievers? Exhibit A of the delusion of SJU Nation...

No, we were never supposed to do anything special. Those guys you listed were literally all we had. We had no bench. You guys on the other hand getting #1 seeds and not getting out of the first week is underachieving. Face it, you guys choke. That's an actual fact.

You better enjoy being on top while you can, because everyone is starting to catch up. Not just my Johnnies but Marquette is reloading, X and Butler are seeing the benefits of big east recruiting and Gtown is always dangerous. Hell if Cooley could ever get a full roster at Providence (remember them? Another team you choked against) they could win the reg season.

Your Philly insecurity is out there for all to see. No one likes a sore winner.

First off, Villanova attracts kids from every state in the country, it isn't a commuter school like St. John's, so stop with the Philly insecurity nonsense. I am from New York.

Secondly, "You better enjoy being on top while you can" just proves how delusional you are. Have you seen our recruiting lately? We will be a Top 15 team this year, and if Brunson stays, we will be a Top 15 team next year. No doubt teams are starting to do better in recruiting but Villanova will not miss the dance for the foreseeable future.

Keep on trying to somehow even compare what Villanova has done over the past decade plus, and what St. John's has done. IT IS ADORABLE. Again, remember, last 10 to 15 years, it is no longer 1986. You St. John's fans really have a hard time dealing with the fact that the view of St. John's basketball has declined significantly over the past 15 years.

Hahaha who is comparing sju to nova besides butt hurt nova fans?

Oh and we're international dummy with campuses in Rome and Paris. Hell I had two kids in my frat from Texas.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:08 pm

It's just an example. Like I've said- any preview of Nova this year is going to mention the NCAA follies of Nova. and frankly any preview of the Big East is going to mention the NCAA follies of the entire conference. If Nova fans really think it won't- they're delusional.

look at ESPN's early Big East preview:
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... e-big-east
The Big East appeared to return to its beastly ways last season. The league earned six NCAA tournament bids in just the second year of its 10-team format and, man, were they shown respect by the selection committee.
St. John’s was a 9-seed, but the rest were seeded sixth or better, including Villanova, which claimed a No. 1 seed. Unfortunately for the league, none of that translated into postseason success.
The Red Storm and Providence didn’t make it past the first game. Villanova, Georgetown and Butler fizzled out in the round of 32. Nova proved to be the most disappointing in its upset loss to 8-seed NC State.
Xavier was the only team to advance out of the first weekend but was promptly sent packing by Arizona in the Sweet 16.
When the 2015-16 season rolls around, it’s fair to say that every Big East program will have an emphasis on producing results in March. Even the teams that didn’t make it last season.

And sorry- but if you think only looking at the NCAA Tourney is narrow minded- it's not. Like it or not, but the NCAA tourney is how teams, and conferences are measured in 2015. That's reality. What do folks remember about Kentucky last year? Losing in the final 4. Not going 34-0 in the regular season.
stever20

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:11 pm

stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Stever, I couldn't care less about your opinions. You are not a fan of the BE. You have made that abundantly clear. I at least have respect for the fans of the other programs in this league--even when I think they are way off base. You on the other hand play the role of expectations manager, devil's advocate and occasional troll well. But you might as well just admit that's why your here instead of acting like you are a fan of G'town. I have no respect for you because you can't be honest with anyone. You supply your subtle digs of anything BE (V'nova now included) and defend the AAC at every turn. Then you deny that's what you are doing. Your act is old.

And yes, Villanova has disappointed quite a bit. Right now, they are probably quite frankly the biggest NCAA tournament disappointment in the entire nation the last 2 years. Sorry but you are wrong when you say that Nova has held up it's end of the bargain the last 2 years. Because they haven't. What matters in NCAA basketball now is 99% NCAA tournament. You might not like it- but that is reality. Go find me any preview this year that doesn't mention the tournament. Just 1. You aren't going to find it.

I defend the AAC on here because they are way better than folks on here want to make them out. Reading folks on here- makes them look like they're the 20th best conference or something like that. Sorry but that is just dumb. They were better than the Big East 2 years ago(yes, because of the NCAA tourney). Last year was tough- but with how they've been recruiting- and maybe moreso because of the transfers they're getting in- they're going to be pretty good this year. I think it's dumb as crap AAC fans dissing on the Big East, and I think it's dumb as crap Big East fans dissing on the AAC. Like I've said- the better the Big East does- it helps the AAC- and vice versa. The AAC isn't the Big East enemy, the P5 is.

The AAC wont be relevant in 10yrs. Who cares about a league that has every school wanting out.

Big East is solidified as long as Georgetown is happy. I have been on record of saying that once the P5 breakaway from the NCAA they will back fill their leagues with basketball schools.People think that last statement is ridiculous but talk to me in 15 years when it goes down.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:
stever20 wrote:

The AAC wont be relevant in 10yrs. Who cares about a league that has every school wanting out.

Big East is solidified as long as Georgetown is happy. I have been on record of saying that once the P5 breakaway from the NCAA they will back fill their leagues with basketball schools.People think that last statement is ridiculous but talk to me in 15 years when it goes down.

They can want out- but until they get out- it's a good conference. They have to have some place to go to. And that's the big problem. Any conference with UConn, Memphis, Cincy, Temple is going to be a good conference.

As far as a breakaway- I don't see them going outside the NCAA scope. And as we saw in 1978, legally going to be impossible to keep the G5 out. I think what we're going to see is FBS plus like BE, A10, MVC, WCC, and then another 3-4 conferences(about 20 in total).
stever20

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Hahaha who is comparing sju to nova besides butt hurt nova fans?

Oh and we're international dummy with campuses in Rome and Paris. Hell I had two kids in my frat from Texas.[/quote]

Yeah, St. John's really has that international college feel. Carnesecca is ROCKING when all 60 students show up to stomp their feet. Most embarrassing student section in the Big East besides maybe DePaul, but let's not get into that.

Butt hurt, is butt hurt getting beat by a team twice in 1 year by a combined 55 points? My friends who are St. John's fans seemed butt hurt when they were texting me that Jay Wright is classless after we completely embarrassed you in Philly last year. I think that is butt hurt. I think you guys not making the tournament again this year and going through ANOTHER rebuilding phase (5 in the last 15 years, that is like one every 3 years) is probably what you would call butt hurt. Good luck!
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:24 pm

Ok Stever lets play by your criteria. According to you Nova "has NOT held up its end of the bargain, because what matters is NCAA tournament results." Great let's use that as the criteria since you brought it up. Please tell me which BE team has played in more tourney games than Nova since the new league was formed? (Cue Jeopardy music).... Well? Your answer is:_________? Great. Thanks for playing.

See I contend that positive exposure for the BE would have been non-existent these past 2 years if not for 2 things: 1). McBuckets and 2). Villanova. You see, even ESPN is forced to show highlights of Top 5 teams. If Nova wasn't in the Top 5 two years in a row, would anyone be talking about the BE being a legitimate conference? Would we hear on ESPN: "#22 in action at the BET tourney...let's roll the highlights." Of course not. I especially love your flimsy argument where you praise UCONN from the AAC for winning the NC but at the same time crucify Nova for losing to them. Typical cockroach behavior. So scurry along back to your little AAC boards and end this charade. This from the same guy who was convinced last Feb & March that the AAC was going to get 5 bids and the BE 4. How'd that work out for you Stever?

Be gone troll.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board