Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby JohnThompson'sTowel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:29 pm

https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/statu ... 4521243650

Dayton's Miller to Florida if Donovan takes OKC....

A10 not looking so hot with Smart and Miller leaving.
JohnThompson'sTowel

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bostonspider » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:54 pm

I would assume the main argument for adding teams is adding more content. If you have 12 teams playing 18 games you know have 108 games for FS to pick from and broadcast. For other sports you can divide into divisions and limit the amount of east-west travel. All I know is that the BE was looking at expansion candidates as of 18 months ago. Maybe they decided that they do not need to expand at all, but they certainly were considering it.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:22 pm

JohnThompson'sTowel wrote:https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/593474794521243650

Yeah everyone here wants to talk about how awful the AAC is- but comparing the coaches especially now in the AAC to the A10 is just night and day....

who are the best coaches in the A10 now? Hurley and then who?
meanwhile the AAC has Larry Brown, Fran Dunphy, Mick Cronin, Kelvin Sampson, Frank Haith, Kevin Ollie, Josh Pastner. Any of those would be the top coach in the A10. And would say UCF even got a top 100 recruit.
stever20

Postby ohiohsbball » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:39 pm

JohnThompson'sTowel wrote:https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/593474794521243650

I would be shocked if Archie Miller goes to Florida. I don't see him staying at Dayton forever, but if he leaves, I see him taking a basketball school; I see him going to Syracuse when Boeheim is done. I know they have struggled in the post Spurrier era, but Florida is still a football school where basketball is second fiddle.
ohiohsbball

Postby ohiohsbball » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Bostonspider wrote:I would assume the main argument for adding teams is adding more content. If you have 12 teams playing 18 games you know have 108 games for FS to pick from and broadcast. For other sports you can divide into divisions and limit the amount of east-west travel. All I know is that the BE was looking at expansion candidates as of 18 months ago. Maybe they decided that they do not need to expand at all, but they certainly were considering it.

I would assume that if they were looking at expansion 18 months ago, then a pretty good chance it is still on the table; I can't imagine they would completely swipe it off the table when the conference is only two years old.

The source that told me from Virginia that VCU is not a real candidate was also the person that told me Fox IS pushing the tables to expand to 12, contrary to popular to belief on this message board. Fox needs more inventory to grow its brand and she also said if they went to twelve teams, Fox would look at prime time games Monday-Thursday and then a Fox national double header on Saturdays.

Like you said, no one knows for sure but it is fun to speculate. Those people that say it isn't, then why else would there be almost 80 pages on a thread that is only a couple weeks old?
ohiohsbball

Postby BEX » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:14 pm

stever20 wrote:
BEX wrote:
stever20 wrote:The fallacy with Fox though is that they're going to get a chance to bid on things as they expire. As we saw with the NBA- that isn't always the case. The incumbents can go to the leagues before the deal expires and re-up.

I'm confused. Why was Fox involved in the early "re-upping" by the NFL? Do you really think these massive sports leagues wouldn't check with Fox? The "incumbents" wouldn't get their deal shopped around? I'm sure the leagues say "sounds good to us', thanks for the bid, where do we sign?

Fox was involved in the early re-upping by the NFL because it made sense for them to keep their #1 property. ESPN re-upped their deal to keep MNF before it went on the open market.

As the NBA showed they didn't check with Fox. ESPN/Turner made it worth their while to not do it. I would say the NBA is a pretty damn massive sports league, wouldn't you?

I think NBC did the same thing with the NHL to keep it away from ESPN(I could be wrong about that). Same with Fox and Turner with MLB.

Fox was involved in the NBA deal but ESPN made some deal with the NBA to exclude other networks (mega billions). The NFL has 4 networks.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/08/espn-a ... ba-rights/
BEX

Postby marquette » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:45 pm

stever20 wrote:

Yeah everyone here wants to talk about how awful the AAC is- but comparing the coaches especially now in the AAC to the A10 is just night and day....

meanwhile the AAC has Larry Brown, Fran Dunphy, Mick Cronin, Kelvin Sampson, Frank Haith, Kevin Ollie, Josh Pastner. Any of those would be the top coach in the A10. And would say UCF even got a top 100 recruit.

But somehow the A10 got more bids than the AAC both years. Weird. Oh well, I'm sure none of those coaches would move if offered by Florida (not that Pastner will have much choice if he doesn't get a sweet 16 soon).
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:50 pm

ohiohsbball wrote:

I would be shocked if Archie Miller goes to Florida. I don't see him staying at Dayton forever, but if he leaves, I see him taking a basketball school; I see him going to Syracuse when Boeheim is done. I know they have struggled in the post Spurrier era, but Florida is still a football school where basketball is second fiddle.

I was somewhat shocked when Shaka left for Texas, where basketball is definitely third fiddle (football spring game). Archie to Florida isn't a stretch, that was one job I knew Shaka would bolt for.

Sidenote, I think the only A10 fans who are taking shots at the Big East are from Dayton. BostonSpider, I think I'll disagree with you that UR could pull the Richmond market during their good years "like" VCU has done. One must only view your own board to see the complaints throughout the last 6 years even when you guys won the A10 and went to the S16. Being the public school in town with around 45-50k connections (students, employees) as well as a traveling fanbase and 66 straight sell outs causes the media (rightly or wrongly) to fawn over VCU at times, regardless of on court success. It's all about the eyeballs.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:57 pm

marquette wrote:
stever20 wrote:

But somehow the A10 got more bids than the AAC both years. Weird. Oh well, I'm sure none of those coaches would move if offered by Florida (not that Pastner will have much choice if he doesn't get a sweet 16 soon).

The A10 though has lost their top coach and 2nd coach could be gone soon. And 3rd one could go next year pretty easily in Hurley. AAC has a LOT more money than the A10 has. It's showing really with the coaches.
stever20

Postby Xudash » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:24 am

ohiohsbball wrote:

Some of my closest friends are Bull Gators. They are scared sh!tless that he's leaving. They also understand how significant he's been to Gator Nation for almost 2 decades. They also know they have a bunch of money and a new O'Connell Center on the way.

You don't think Gainseville is an attractive destination, especially compared to UD and Dayton? Wow!
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board