Seton Hall Covid issues

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Seton Hall Covid issues

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:48 am

jfan wrote:I know Creighton benefited with a DePaul forfeit, but this new rule doesn't make much sense with the situation we are in and the new variant. Even vaccinated people are getting breakthrough infections and it will get worse before it gets better. Didn't like the rule last year either (for obvious reasons). Hope they can come up with something that makes more sense!

I’m not sure we benefited. CU will ultimately need more victories and this was a winnable road game - not a gimme by any stretch, but one we might have been able to get.

Hopefully the big East teams are able to get the rest of the games in before the holidays and then everyone can have a few days off to regroup and get healthy.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:53 am

Omaha1 wrote:
jfan wrote:I know Creighton benefited with a DePaul forfeit, but this new rule doesn't make much sense with the situation we are in and the new variant. Even vaccinated people are getting breakthrough infections and it will get worse before it gets better. Didn't like the rule last year either (for obvious reasons). Hope they can come up with something that makes more sense!

I’m not sure we benefited. CU will ultimately need more victories and this was a winnable road game - not a gimme by any stretch, but one we might have been able to get.

Hopefully the big East teams are able to get the rest of the games in before the holidays and then everyone can have a few days off to regroup and get healthy.

Yeah exactly. These forfeits have cost St John's and Creighton chances at Q1 wins. And now Seton Hall loses a chance at a Q1 game now as well(as does DePaul actually).

I think in some ways how folks view the forfeits hinges on which they consider most important. If it's the Big East, sure they're huge. If it's the NCAA tourney, there really is no difference between a forfeit and a no contest at all with how the NCAA is doing it.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:59 am

My (likely unpopular) opinion: scrap the regular sesaon championship. Play as many games as you can but realistically it looks like the standings are going to be a bit of a joke with the number of forfeits likely to be factored in. Keep them for the purposes of BET seeding (or don't and build the bracket from a random draw) but don't award a trophy and hope that come March things are improved enough that we can play a tournament that's able to crown a worthy Big East champion.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:04 am

Hall2012 wrote:My (likely unpopular) opinion: scrap the regular sesaon championship. Play as many games as you can but realistically it looks like the standings are going to be a bit of a joke with the number of forfeits likely to be factored in. Keep them for the purposes of BET seeding (or don't and build the bracket from a random draw) but don't award a trophy and hope that come March things are improved enough that we can play a tournament that's able to crown a worthy Big East champion.

I think it depends on how many there are. Even if everyone has 2 forfeits, what is the difference between that and just playing 18 conference games?
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:05 am

Let’s wait to see how many teams are impacted. Maybe it’s just Hall and DePaul who aren’t fully vaccinated and have positive tests. That would be the best case scenario if everyone else was able to play normal big East schedules.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:25 am

Georgetown with COVID issues so won't be playing tomorrow. Providence will go to 2-0 with this. And avoid playing the lowest NET team in the league at home.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:00 am

stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:My (likely unpopular) opinion: scrap the regular sesaon championship. Play as many games as you can but realistically it looks like the standings are going to be a bit of a joke with the number of forfeits likely to be factored in. Keep them for the purposes of BET seeding (or don't and build the bracket from a random draw) but don't award a trophy and hope that come March things are improved enough that we can play a tournament that's able to crown a worthy Big East champion.

I think it depends on how many there are. Even if everyone has 2 forfeits, what is the difference between that and just playing 18 conference games?

Well yeah, if all the forfeits break evenly then what's the difference? But what are the odds it all breaks evenly, especially when you factor in forfeit wins too? A long covid pause or a run of opponents on pause could be the difference for someone between a regular season title and playing on Wednesday in the BET.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby MUPanther » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:54 am

Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby eye of the jay » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:13 pm

BE commissioner and university presidents need to meet ASAP to rethink the COVID policy and handling the next month. Pretty apparent the current strategy won’t work in the foreseeable future.
eye of the jay

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:17 pm

eye of the jay wrote:BE commissioner and university presidents need to meet ASAP to rethink the COVID policy and handling the next month. Pretty apparent the current strategy won’t work in the foreseeable future.

Was the decision to declare forfeits made by Val or did the university presidents or AD’s have to vote on that?
Omaha1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board