Big East Standings Prediction thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Standings Prediction thread

Postby FriarJ » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:58 am

ArmyVet wrote:
kayako wrote:Yeah Providence is going to run away with this unless Nova can sweep them. Reminds me of 2018 Xavier team that won a lot of close games and won the BE regular season outright.

It's possible, but not a guarantee. Friars are 1-1 against Marquette including a 32 point loss. They won close games against UCONN and Hall, but haven't played Nova or Creighton yet. If Nova beats PC this week, you wonder if there will be a renewed call to get some of PC's games made up. If the Friars win, it becomes a moot point.

If PC splits with Nova, and they end up with a 1 or two game advantage over Nova, while playing three less games, head will explode in the Main Line. Now take that a step farther and give PC the 2 or 3 seed in the Philadelphia region then the meltdown will be of epic proportions.
FriarJ

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:00 pm

FriarJ wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:
kayako wrote:Yeah Providence is going to run away with this unless Nova can sweep them. Reminds me of 2018 Xavier team that won a lot of close games and won the BE regular season outright.

It's possible, but not a guarantee. Friars are 1-1 against Marquette including a 32 point loss. They won close games against UCONN and Hall, but haven't played Nova or Creighton yet. If Nova beats PC this week, you wonder if there will be a renewed call to get some of PC's games made up. If the Friars win, it becomes a moot point.

If PC splits with Nova, and they end up with a 1 or two game advantage over Nova, while playing three less games, head will explode in the Main Line. Now take that a step farther and give PC the 2 or 3 seed in the Philadelphia region then the meltdown will be of epic proportions.

This is pretty much what happened to Creighton last year. Nova fans told us that we should get over it so I’m sure they will have no issue doing the same :lol:
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:06 pm

FriarJ wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:

Here is where I think it's going to be a bit different and pro PC. If they split, and would have finished tied, Marquette would have wound up being the tie breaker. Providence beat them while Nova didn't.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:14 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
FriarJ wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:It's possible, but not a guarantee. Friars are 1-1 against Marquette including a 32 point loss. They won close games against UCONN and Hall, but haven't played Nova or Creighton yet. If Nova beats PC this week, you wonder if there will be a renewed call to get some of PC's games made up. If the Friars win, it becomes a moot point.

This is pretty much what happened to Creighton last year. Nova fans told us that we should get over it so I’m sure they will have no issue doing the same :lol:

Still a pretty massive difference in that if Nova made up the 2 DePaul games that got cancelled they just would've beaten you by more. Reality is that Nova would've been favored in at least 4 of the 5 games they missed (and absolutely massive favorites in 3 of them), while Providence would be underdogs in 2 of the 3 they're missing.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:20 pm

Point taken. I would have hoped that the league would have learned something from last year and been more proactive getting games rescheduled this year to avoid another *won league by winning %
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby kayako » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:21 pm

FriarJ wrote:

It's my understanding that the only way the committee places Nova in Philadelphia is as a 1 seed to avoid a situation like a 1 seed Auburn having to face 4 seed Villanova in Philadelphia. Don't kid yourself, there really isn't anything PC does that'd make Nova fans explode this season. We're all cheering for Cooley!
supernova
kayako

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:53 pm

Omaha1 wrote:This is pretty much what happened to Creighton last year. Nova fans told us that we should get over it so I’m sure they will have no issue doing the same :lol:

I’ve pretty much said exactly that on probably a dozen occasions. But you won’t let it go Omaha. Which Nova fans are you referring to, b/c I haven’t seen Chap, or Kayako’s panties in a bunch once. As I mentioned if PC wins the league, good for them. Cap tip and move on to March. We’ve played close to home and we’ve been shipped out for the tourney and have actually experienced success both ways. It doesn’t matter. Just want my team to play its best BB at the end of the year. Now if PC wins the BE and ends up a 2 or 3 in the East I’ll root for them hard to make a run. The conference needs it. I hope they are up to the task.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MackNova » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:53 am

Omaha1 wrote:Point taken. I would have hoped that the league would have learned something from last year and been more proactive getting games rescheduled this year to avoid another *won league by winning %

I get why Creighton fans would point hypocrisy, but like Gumby said, the actual games lost are night and day in terms of difficulty.

But more importantly, there's a vaccine this year, and there wasn't at this point last year. The Pac-12 just rescheduled every single game it had lost this season. The landscape of college basketball is a lot calmer than it was a year ago.

It is just odd to me that the Big East would go from the draconian "you don't play, you forfeit" mentality to "eh, these games aren't important, who cares?" I never liked the idea of forfeits, especially with what ended up with Omicron, but it makes little sense to me that Providence can play 1 game in 10 days this week and have no game scheduled in the final slot of its regular season. There was plenty of time to move games around and make things work. Even Georgetown is playing 4 games in 8 days to try to get as many games as possible in.
MackNova

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:18 pm

MackNova wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Point taken. I would have hoped that the league would have learned something from last year and been more proactive getting games rescheduled this year to avoid another *won league by winning %

I get why Creighton fans would point hypocrisy, but like Gumby said, the actual games lost are night and day in terms of difficulty.

But more importantly, there's a vaccine this year, and there wasn't at this point last year. The Pac-12 just rescheduled every single game it had lost this season. The landscape of college basketball is a lot calmer than it was a year ago.

It is just odd to me that the Big East would go from the draconian "you don't play, you forfeit" mentality to "eh, these games aren't important, who cares?" I never liked the idea of forfeits, especially with what ended up with Omicron, but it makes little sense to me that Providence can play 1 game in 10 days this week and have no game scheduled in the final slot of its regular season. There was plenty of time to move games around and make things work. Even Georgetown is playing 4 games in 8 days to try to get as many games as possible in.

your last part is the part that is so odd to me as well. And the thing is, they're really doing Providence no favors at all.

I bet the league is rooting like heck for the PC/Nova series to wind up a sweep either way.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:28 pm

Is it my imagination, or were the Friars ready to play in December vs each of Georgetown, Seton Hall, and UConn, but each of those three teams got Covid and screwed up *our* schedule?

And we sat around Covid-free around Christmas time with our thumbs up our a-sses?

And we re-worked our schedule to accommodate those teams who got Covid? And that rescheduling of December games clogged up openings for other postponements?

And now we're getting a bunch of sh-t about "ducking" other opponents, like we give a f-ck?

:: eye roll ::
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board