OOC Performance. How will it effect Selection Sunday?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: OOC Performance. How will it effect Selection Sunday?

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:40 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:What's our final conclusion? Here's my take:

The league as a whole missed a lot of opportunities, but UCONN and Marquette definitely improved their NCAA chances.

Nova and Creighton worsened theirs.

Xavier probably did what was expected and should have an NCAA resume.

St John's, Hall, Butler, and Providence are not tourney teams as things stand now.

DePaul and Georgetown are a mess.

I agree with most everything. I do think due to record St John's has a decent chance. If they can go like 10-10 or even 11-9, they'd have 20 or 21 wins. That's gonna be pretty good. Right now they have no bad losses.

I think Nova and Creighton are in some trouble. I think they need 12-8 to have a realistic chance at all.

At full strength, Creighton and Nova are both NCAA teams. The question is how deep of a hole have they dug themselves and will the committee consider their injury situations when teams are discussed?

IMO if CU loses to Butler and DePaul they're too far in to dig themselves out. Nova might still have a chance.

Basically X and MU can't completely choke and whoever wants to in will have to pick up wins against them or UConn to get a resume builder whereas usually there's 6 resume builder options available.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:51 pm

MUBoxer wrote:IMO if CU loses to Butler and DePaul they're too far in to dig themselves out. Nova might still have a chance.

Basically X and MU can't completely choke and whoever wants to in will have to pick up wins against them or UConn to get a resume builder whereas usually there's 6 resume builder options available.

If we lose to both Butler and DePaul this week at home, you can kiss the season goodbye for the Jays. And probably send Mac packing too. For the record, I don’t think that is what will happen.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:43 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:IMO if CU loses to Butler and DePaul they're too far in to dig themselves out. Nova might still have a chance.

If we lose to both Butler and DePaul this week at home, you can kiss the season goodbye for the Jays. And probably send Mac packing too. For the record, I don’t think that is what will happen.

As frustrating (understandably) as that'd be I'd highly doubt that would send Mac packing. As much as I respect Creighton a tradition id be remised not to remind you he's brought you to your only sweet 16 since before my wife's parents were born not to mention tremendous other success.

I believe MU, XU, and Butler would all gladly tell you that a single coach can entirely derail years of winning tradition.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby BEhomer » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:21 pm

BE in years past generally did well OOC then underachieved in NCAAT. (minus Nova of course) We are due for underwhelming OOC and outstanding NCAAT. 2 teams in the FF, let's go.
BEhomer

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:24 am

Omaha1 wrote:

Send Mac packing? Not happening. The guy’s a terrific coach. The current slump will turn around when Kalkbrenner returns to the lineup.
Jasper67

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:37 am

Jasper67 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:

Send Mac packing? Not happening. The guy’s a terrific coach. The current slump will turn around when Kalkbrenner returns to the lineup.

That wasn’t a suggestion that he would actually be fired, but the level of fan discontent would be immense if CU craps the bed the rest of the season and doesn’t make the NCAA Tournament.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board