Big East Standings Prediction thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Standings Prediction thread

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:58 am

Xuperman wrote:After yesterday's debacle, X might want to get comfortable with that 7 seed at MSG. Hello Wednesday vs DePaul...yikes!!

I watched the game in almost stunned silence yesterday. I was honestly really impressed with DePaul. I’m not sure if X had a bad day or what, but DePaul was kind of fun to watch.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jbarajas0490 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:16 pm

If you look at DePaul schedule they haven't lost to any bad teams except butler, but Butler is not that bad. To be honest they were due to knock off any of the top teams in the conference. If they can somehow beat providence and take care of business against Georgetown and butler they can come back to the bubble from the depths. It's crazy to say but they still have a shot.
jbarajas0490

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:22 pm

jbarajas0490 wrote:If you look at DePaul schedule they haven't lost to any bad teams except butler, but Butler is not that bad. To be honest they were due to knock off any of the top teams in the conference. If they can somehow beat providence and take care of business against Georgetown and butler they can come back to the bubble from the depths. It's crazy to say but they still have a shot.

Yeah they have 4 left with Georgetown, Butler, and St John's. With 3 of the 4 at home(and only have to go on the road @ Georgetown). Win those 4 and they're at 15 wins. Would need to get 3 wins from @ Providence, vs Creighton, @ Seton Hall, Marquette, and @ UConn. 1 of those in your scenario would be @ Providence like you said so would need to go 2-2 with 2 of those 4 at home. It's not as crazy as it seems.
stever20

Postby FriarJ » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:20 pm

Absolute best thing about this year is watching nova fans lose their mind
FriarJ

Postby kayako » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:55 pm

Yeah Providence is going to run away with this unless Nova can sweep them. Reminds me of 2018 Xavier team that won a lot of close games and won the BE regular season outright.
supernova
kayako

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:27 pm

FriarJ wrote:Absolute best thing about this year is watching nova fans lose their mind

Losing our minds about what? We're in 2nd place and have 2 games left vs the first place team. And not to sound too douchey but the Nova fan base is most concerned with getting our team in tip top shape for the tournament.

If you guys win the regular season, good for you. Would it be PC's first (again not trying to sound too douchey)? You should celebrate that. In 2018 the X fans were quick to puff out their chests and we all know what happened to both teams in the postseason. You think many people outside of Cincy remember that team won the BE regular season. Last point, if PC wins the reg season and wins the BET at MSG it will be nice--for the first time in a decade--that maybe the expectations to make a SW16, E8 or FF will be on a BE program not named Villanova.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MackNova » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:33 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
FriarJ wrote:Absolute best thing about this year is watching nova fans lose their mind

Losing our minds about what? We're in 2nd place and have 2 games left vs the first place team. And not to sound too douchey but the Nova fan base is most concerned with getting our team in tip top shape for the tournament.

If you guys win the regular season, good for you. Would it be PC's first (again not trying to sound too douchey)? You should celebrate that. In 2018 the X fans were quick to puff out their chests and we all know what happened to both teams in the postseason. You think many people outside of Cincy remember that team won the BE regular season. Last point, if PC wins the reg season and wins the BET at MSG it will be nice--for the first time in a decade--that maybe the expectations to make a SW16, E8 or FF will be on a BE program not named Villanova.

Eh, I'd like to win the Big East regular season title. Villanova has won either the regular season or tournament titles every year. Not ready to give that up yet, and it's frustrating that the 6th-best team in the league in KenPom is favored to win it in part because it lost 3 games in which it would be projected to go 1-2.

Not really losing my mind over it. Hopefully, Villanova sweeps Providence and finds a way to get it done. I'm more concerned about getting a top-3 seed ideally than the Big East regular season title, but it would be nice to have both.
MackNova

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:48 am

MackNova wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Eh, I'd like to win the Big East regular season title. Villanova has won either the regular season or tournament titles every year. Not ready to give that up yet, and it's frustrating that the 6th-best team in the league in KenPom is favored to win it in part because it lost 3 games in which it would be projected to go 1-2.

Not really losing my mind over it. Hopefully, Villanova sweeps Providence and finds a way to get it done. I'm more concerned about getting a top-3 seed ideally than the Big East regular season title, but it would be nice to have both.

Certainly would like to win every trophy we can; not trying to say that it is not important to strive for that. But if given the choice of going all out to win the BE regular season championship, or getting ready for a March tourney run, give me the latter. It's not unlike 2018 when Booth, DD and Paschall were all hurting. Jay sat them and we dropped a couple games as a result. X hung a banner, and 4 weeks later we did the same. :D Now Gillepsie, Moore (and BA) are all hurting. If we lose the Johnnies or to PC on Saturday with those 2 on the bench getting fully healthy for the BET and NCAA tourneys, I'm 100% good with that.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:15 am

kayako wrote:Yeah Providence is going to run away with this unless Nova can sweep them. Reminds me of 2018 Xavier team that won a lot of close games and won the BE regular season outright.

It's possible, but not a guarantee. Friars are 1-1 against Marquette including a 32 point loss. They won close games against UCONN and Hall, but haven't played Nova or Creighton yet. If Nova beats PC this week, you wonder if there will be a renewed call to get some of PC's games made up. If the Friars win, it becomes a moot point.
ArmyVet

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:17 am

ArmyVet wrote:
kayako wrote:Yeah Providence is going to run away with this unless Nova can sweep them. Reminds me of 2018 Xavier team that won a lot of close games and won the BE regular season outright.

It's possible, but not a guarantee. Friars are 1-1 against Marquette including a 32 point loss. They won close games against UCONN and Hall, but haven't played Nova or Creighton yet. If Nova beats PC this week, you wonder if there will be a renewed call to get some of PC's games made up. If the Friars win, it becomes a moot point.

The problem is, this week would have been the week to make up at least 1 of those games. Gets to be too late after here just about. (oh, and the Nova/PC game is next Tuesday so even later on).
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board