Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

Postby billyjack » Wed May 06, 2015 10:27 pm

Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, is a town of 5000 people on beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee.
Brewster Academy is a top basketball prep school, located in Wolfeboro.
Wolfeboro is not the hotbed of homegrown basketball talent. Brewster recruits kids from other places.
That's why the article isn't valuable. Plus "Bleacher Report" is not a reputable website.

On the Brewster basketball roster in 2015, there were 0 kids from New Hampshire.

http://www.brewsteracademy.org/RelId/61 ... Roster.htm

4 kids were from California.
3 from Massachusetts (Roxbury, a part of Boston; Sharon, 5 minutes from Boston; and Marion, over near Cape Cod).
5 kids were from the Boston to DC corridor total.
2 kids from Minnesota.
1 each from Wisconsin and the state of Washington.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu May 07, 2015 5:29 am

HoosierPal wrote:
Waiting for your list of the top 20 cities that produce the best college basketball talent. From your ramblings, I guess your list is NYC #1, DC #2, Boston #3? Can you list the players that have had great college careers from these cities and compare to the criteria in the article? No? So I guess you agree that Stever has a point. [Indy is #6 by the way. Chicago, Memphis, Dallas, its all right there. No NYC.]

I could not find an email address for Kerry Miller's, but I found where you can leave him a message telling him personally his article is trash.
http://bleacherreport.com/users/1927996-kerry-miller

Don't have time to look it up but off the top of my head, just from Philly, where I live:

Kobe Bryant
Tyreke Evans
Jameer Nelson
Kyle Lowry
Gerald Henderson
Dion Waiters
Wayne Ellington
The Morris Twins
Rasul Butler

I'm sure the NYC metro area is twice as long. If you want me to actually put in the time and give you actual names I have no doubt it would be embarassing to you. How about you give me the list of NBA players from NH.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby marquette » Thu May 07, 2015 5:41 am

Why are you all still arguing with a guy whose vendetta has been obvious since he joined the board? You won't change his mind, and he wouldn't admit it even if you did.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby billyjack » Thu May 07, 2015 8:02 am

Welcome to Wolfeboro:
Home of the Melvin Village Curling League and Country Kitchen.
Home of the Androscoggin American Legion May Breakfast, and
Home of the nation's finest college basketball recruits.

Providence
billyjack

Postby Burrito » Thu May 07, 2015 8:37 am

I wasn't sure what the point of this thread was. There are 65 P5 programs and 87 football programs if you include the AAC and MWC. Of course 87 football schools will recruit a lot more Top 100 players than 10 Big East schools and a handful of other top BBall schools (Gonzaga, VCU, etc...). When was that not the case?
Burrito

Postby HoosierPal » Thu May 07, 2015 9:42 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:
Waiting for your list of the top 20 cities that produce the best college basketball talent. From your ramblings, I guess your list is NYC #1, DC #2, Boston #3? Can you list the players that have had great college careers from these cities and compare to the criteria in the article? No? So I guess you agree that Stever has a point. [Indy is #6 by the way. Chicago, Memphis, Dallas, its all right there. No NYC.]

I could not find an email address for Kerry Miller's, but I found where you can leave him a message telling him personally his article is trash.

How about you give me the list of NBA players from NH.

Uh, the article was titled Top 20 Cities that Produce the Best College Basketball Talent. Now you want to move the goalposts to the NBA?

No one is saying there still aren't quality players coming from the area, but the NE is not the hotbed of HS hoops talent it used to be.

Still no list with criteria given on how you developed it? You seem to have put a lot of time into your responses, so why not put together your top 20 list and how it was developed.

What did Kerry Miller say when you told him he didn't know what he was writing about? Did he apologize to you for writing a trashy article?

Stever, these guys just don't want to believe there is life outside of the East Coast.
HoosierPal

Postby Xudash » Thu May 07, 2015 10:25 am

billyjack wrote:Welcome to Wolfeboro:
Home of the Melvin Village Curling League and Country Kitchen.
Home of the Androscoggin American Legion May Breakfast, and
Home of the nation's finest college basketball recruits.

Spent a wonderful long weekend in Meredith a few October's ago. Absolutely beautiful up there.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:43 am

Burrito wrote:I wasn't sure what the point of this thread was. There are 65 P5 programs and 87 football programs if you include the AAC and MWC. Of course 87 football schools will recruit a lot more Top 100 players than 10 Big East schools and a handful of other top BBall schools (Gonzaga, VCU, etc...). When was that not the case?

Just going back 15 years ago that wasn't the case.. In 1999- 16 of the top 100 went to non football schools. 2000 24 did. I definitely think the pendulum has switched somewhat to now much more favoring the football schools than it used to be.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:52 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:

Don't have time to look it up but off the top of my head, just from Philly, where I live:

Kobe Bryant
Tyreke Evans
Jameer Nelson
Kyle Lowry
Gerald Henderson
Dion Waiters
Wayne Ellington
The Morris Twins
Rasul Butler

I'm sure the NYC metro area is twice as long. If you want me to actually put in the time and give you actual names I have no doubt it would be embarassing to you. How about you give me the list of NBA players from NH.

here's the thing about the list though- look how old some of those players are...
Rasul Butler- turns 36 in 2 weeks- went to college in 1998
Kobe Bryant- turns 37 in August- graduated HS in 1996
Jameer Nelson- 33 yrs old- graduated HS in 2000
Kyle Lowry- 29 yrs old- graduated HS in 2004
Gerald Henderson- turns 28 in December- graduated HS in 2006
Wayne Ellington- turns 28 in November- graduated HS in 2006

So if this is the list of the top 10 players from Philly right now- it's pretty telling. Over half have been out of there for at least 9 years now. Means only 4 in the last 9 years. Heck, even the Morris twins graduated in 2008- 7 years ago.

When I think of Philly basketball- I think of back late 80's- with Lionel Simmons, Gathers, Kimble just to name 3.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Thu May 07, 2015 11:53 am

HoosierPal wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:

How about you give me the list of NBA players from NH.

Uh, the article was titled Top 20 Cities that Produce the Best College Basketball Talent. Now you want to move the goalposts to the NBA?

No one is saying there still aren't quality players coming from the area, but the NE is not the hotbed of HS hoops talent it used to be.

Still no list with criteria given on how you developed it? You seem to have put a lot of time into your responses, so why not put together your top 20 list and how it was developed.

What did Kerry Miller say when you told him he didn't know what he was writing about? Did he apologize to you for writing a trashy article?

Stever, these guys just don't want to believe there is life outside of the East Coast.

From the Comments section on your linked article written by Kerry Miller:

Poster 1: "H-Town [Houston] has a few players you forgot to mention. No mention of the Twins or Ridley."

Kerry Miller: "247Sports has them listed as Richmond, TX. I'm a bracketology guy, not a geography guy, and I wasn't going to take the time to decide which small cities should technically count as part of larger hubs."

Poster 1 again: "Basically 8 miles from Houston."

Poster 2: "Then don't write an article if you don't want to do the research... God this site [Bleacher Report] has some of the stupidest, laziest writers like ever."

More...
Poster 3: "This is stupid... Henderson, Nevada didn't "produce" Cory Joseph, Avery Bradley, or Anthony Bennett... they're Canadian... honestly one of the stupidest things I've seen on the [site]..."

Poster 4: "I like all the canadians listed as being from american cities"

Poster 5: "Can't give the prep schools credit. It's the home cities. Baltimore should be on the list for it's 2010 class alone. Josh Shelby, will and Antonio Barton, cj fair, Jordan Latham, roscoe smith, davon usher, dylon Cormier. The list could continue."

Poster 6: "This list is stupid... You're not listing the city that produces the best players. You're simply ranking the prep schools that have the most talented players. Virtually none of the players on those prep school teams come from evenly remotely the same area, let alone the same city, that those schools are in. For instance many of the players who played for those prep schools are born and raised in cities like Philly so for philly not to be included in the list CITIES that produce the most college basketball talent is ludicrous."

Kerry Miller again:
"Lot of commotion about where players are actually from. As noted on the Criteria slide, data was based on recruiting info on 247sports.com which lists where each player played his final year of high school ball. I recognize that a player's hometown and the place where he played as a senior aren't always (or perhaps even usually) the same, but the intent of this article was to rank cities based on how likely you are to see college basketball stars before they get to college. For that purpose, the city on the high school diploma is more important than the city on the birth certificate."

Poster 7:
"The article loses integrity when you say a city "produced" talent, then list a player who has transferred to a higher echelon or more prestigious high school basketball program for their senior year...I understand the points you made in the above comment, however, when I clicked on the article I was expecting recognition for cities in which a player actually grew up and learned the game (although not sure how feasible that is from a research perspective) I'm from Minnesota and was surprised Minneapolis was not on the list (Tyus Jones, Royce White, Rashad Vaughn, Reid Travis, Trevor Mbakwe, Kris Humprhies- 2003, and many more highly touted recruits) Interesting article, but not what I was hoping for or expecting."

Kerry Miller once again:
"Even if it was feasible to know where every top 100 player was living on each and every one of his first 18 birthdays, where do you draw the line? Is it the city where he was born? The city where he played Saturday morning youth league ball? The city where he spent 30 hours a week at the YMCA embarrassing dudes three times his age? Yeah, it sucks that guys spent the first 16 years of their life in one city and then were classified as being "from" the city of the prep school that they played in, but there are going to be a lot of exceptions no matter how you present this data."

Poster 8:
"Then, as others have pointed out, don't write such a misleading article. Why didn't you make a hoops academy errrrr a prep academy list?As others have mentioned, some more research. You used 247 as your sole source? Did you study journalism, history or any other subject that requires you to get primary-source material? 247 is not primary source. Why didn't you just compile a list of links so that we could find this data ourselves in a few minutes. For you to reply that it's hard to "draw the line" is complete rubbish and laziness. A bit of critical thinking would tell one that the players' origins were where they spent the most time developing their craft. Not birthplace, not YMCA ball. Just admit that you mailed in the effort as far as doing the "research for this article"."
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board