Selection Sunday

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Selection Sunday

Postby MUPanther » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:51 pm

RedStormHoops wrote:When do the times get released?

4 of the 6 big east teams play on Thursday, with SJU and PC playing Friday fwiw

Later tonight.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shupirate98 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
shupirate98 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:So I realize that giving Dayton a 1st four home game is unavoidable if they're one of the last 4 teams in. It doesn't make sense to improve their seed or leave them out completely just to avoid that. However, what's ridiculous, is sending them to Columbus for the 2nd and 3rd rounds should they make it that far. Providence is way better and should win anyway, but they're getting royally screwed likely having to play a road game (for all intents and purposes) against an 11 seed in their first game.

The bracketing rules explicitly state that only teams on top 4 seed lines get such protection against home crowds. And before the Georgetown fans chime in, no, Portland is in no way, shape or form considered a home crowd for Eastern Washington. It's nearly 300 miles away from their campus and the rule is more designed for big teams rather than the Eastern Washingtons of the world anyway. How many fans does Eastern Washington have? Will they have more fans there than Georgetown? Obviously. Does that make it unfair? No. You have to play these games somewhere.

I realize that and it makes sense because attempting to protect everyone against home court advantage while still seeding accurately would be a nearly impossible task. But when the fix is a simple one, it should be taken into account. In this case, why not swap the Boise St./Dayton winner with the BYU/Ole Miss winner? Both games are for an 11 seed so that doesn't change...and if it causes any other problem I'm not seeing it.

BYU can't be in the East region or in Columbus because of the Sunday thing.
shupirate98

Postby Know Nothing » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:52 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:American Conference = LOL. :lol:

In all seriousness, feel bad for Temple.

I hope that after this season the Big East will put out feelers to UCONN and Cincy to see if there is any interest in switching leagues. The past 2 seasons have shown that the American Conference is a long term loser, while the Big East is a sustainable basketball power. UCONN and Cincy are both hoping for a Football 5 invite that might never come. Perhaps they could be persuaded to switch leagues in exchange for a no buyout clause if a Football 5 invite is one day extended to those schools. Where to put their football programs would be a big issue, but it can't hurt to ask.
Know Nothing

Postby micgoG'town » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:54 pm

I'm guessing the G'town game will be the last game on Thursday. Just hope they are spread out. Don't have 3 BE teams playing in the same time slots. I always put in for Thursday off the week of the BE Tourny, and Thurs-Sat. the week of the Big Dance. Hope to watch every BE game.
micgoG'town

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:57 pm

Hall2012 wrote:So I realize that giving Dayton a 1st four home game is unavoidable if they're one of the last 4 teams in. It doesn't make sense to improve their seed or leave them out completely just to avoid that. However, what's ridiculous, is sending them to Columbus for the 2nd and 3rd rounds should they make it that far. Providence is way better and should win anyway, but they're getting royally screwed likely having to play a road game (for all intents and purposes) against an 11 seed in their first game.

Part of what happened with Providence....
BYU was selected as one of the last 4 teams in. Means they had to get slotted in a Thursday/Saturday pod due to them not playing on Sunday's.

Frankly not sure why they didn't flip it where Providence would have played UCLA while SMU would have played the PIG winner(In Louisville). What is even more interesting was SMU was ahead of PC on the seed list, meaning you would have thought they would have given SMU more consideration there and given them the easier first game. No conference issues either.
stever20

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Know Nothing wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:American Conference = LOL. :lol:

In all seriousness, feel bad for Temple.

I hope that after this season the Big East will put out feelers to UCONN and Cincy to see if there is any interest in switching leagues. The past 2 seasons have shown that the American Conference is a long term loser, while the Big East is a sustainable basketball power. UCONN and Cincy are both hoping for a Football 5 invite that might never come. Perhaps they could be persuaded to switch leagues in exchange for a no buyout clause if a Football 5 invite is one day extended to those schools. Where to put their football programs would be a big issue, but it can't hurt to ask.

Already heard from a few uconn fans asking if the big esast would take them back!
TheBall

Postby micgoG'town » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:58 pm

jay Williams just picked NC State to beat Villanova.
micgoG'town

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Watching the "Bracketology" show on ESPN. They are almost universally picking against BE schools. I wouldn't hope its intentional, just a result of them not watching us play much.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:13 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Watching the "Bracketology" show on ESPN. They are almost universally picking against BE schools. I wouldn't hope its intentional, just a result of them not watching us play much.

Part of it is some brutal draws...
look at possible 2nd round games-
Butler/Notre Dame
Xavier/Baylor
Villanova/NC State
Providence/Oklahoma
St John's/Duke
Georgetown/Utah

5 top 20 teams, and then a NC State team who isn't bad.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:14 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Watching the "Bracketology" show on ESPN. They are almost universally picking against BE schools. I wouldn't hope its intentional, just a result of them not watching us play much.

Even if they did watch us regularly, would they really pick us anyway?
I can't wait for plucky underdog Villanova to beat powerhouse NC State, though.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board