Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:22 am

gtmoBlue wrote:IF anyone is coming this summer...it's these guys.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2013–present)

2013–14 Notre Dame 15–17 6–12 T–12th
2014–15 Notre Dame 32–6 14–4 3rd NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2015–16 Notre Dame 24–12 11–7 T–5th NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2016–17 Notre Dame 26–10 12–6 T–2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2017–18 Notre Dame 21–15 8–10 T–10th NIT Second Round
2018–19 Notre Dame 14–19 3–15 T–14th
2019–20 Notre Dame 20–12 10–10 T–6th Postseason not held due to COVID-19
2020–21 Notre Dame 11–15 7–11 11th
2021–22 Notre Dame 10–6 4–2

The Irish are wallowing in the mud of the ACC midlevels to basement over the last 5 years. Their fanbase can't be happy.
They haven't been to the NCAA since 2016-17 (5 years) - That alone is enough to get Brey's seat hot...AND give the vocal minority
fuel to push for a return to the BE. They are making 7+ million/year for hoops in the ACC. I'd venture a guess that the ND faithful
would be okay with a temporary hoops cut in pay for more appearances/money in the Dance, rather than a continued languishing
in the ACC basement. Their typical arrogance levels would indicate their loyalists see more success levels, more consistent success
in a return to the BE.

It will be a win-win situation. ND returns home to the BE with improved prospects for making the Dance and renewing longstanding rivalries.
The BE gets another needle-mover team returning to the fold.

ND likes to think of themselves as independent, free thinkers, wildcards. Such a move (return to the BE) is not far-fetched.

There is nothing that would allow them to leave the ACC. Locked in there for over another decade. And realistically with football, they need the ACC.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:13 am

kayako wrote:What an odd take? So BE has 3 extremely high-ceiling programs (unlike Fordham) in 3 best markets in the country struggling right now, so we must add Dayton to look big time? To be honest, I see no advantage that Dayton has over VCU.

The deluded Dayton fans make this frustrating at times. Unless the TV execs at FOX demand additions to the league, there will be none. An 11 team league allows for a home-home series which is something I believe the league values. Dayton is not relevant outside of Dayton. Literally no one in college basketball cares about the program and adding them would not improve the television ratings of the league.

The singular reason I felt like an addition was possible over the previous couple of years was to maintain the relationship with MSG. That is, selling out the building for the entirety of the Big East Tournament. The addition of UConn solidified that.

In my opinion, there is only one possible addition that I could see FOX advocating and willing to pay a sizeable contract for - Gonzaga. We know that the league has considered this and Val even said as much publicly. There are many obvious obstacles which can only be overcome with considerable amounts cash. I do not think an addition to the Big East is forthcoming any time soon, but I am quite certain addition of Dayton is not one being considered.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:17 am

There's nobody out there who just works. If they insist on expanding, I think the best bet would just be to pick the major city / media market you want to get into, invite the biggest private d1 school in it (with a commitment to increasing its basketball investment to an agreed upon level), and trust that the power of the Big East brand along with the increased investment will raise its profile.

It won't be flashy because because the only flashy names out there are simply impractical (aka Gonzaga and Notre Dame aren't coming), but current success doesn't guarantee future success anyway. And I do believe that the league can elevate a program and create its own success.

My preference is for no expansion at all, but if we insist I'd look at the following markets (I'm focusing on midwestern markets to balance the league 6 and 6):

-Pittsburgh: Duquesne
-Detroit: Detroit Mercy (though they're admittedly very small)
-St. Louis: Saint Louis
-Nashville: Belmont
-Minneapolis-St.Paul: St. Thomas*

*Edited to add another long-shot in a good DMA
Last edited by Hall2012 on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:23 am

Hall2012 wrote:There's nobody out there who just works. If they insist on expanding, I think the best bet would just be to pick the major city / media market you want to get into, invite the biggest private d1 school in it (with a commitment to increasing its basketball investment to an agreed upon level), and trust that the power of the Big East brand along with the increased investment will raise its profile.

It won't be flashy because because the only flashy names out there are simply impractical (aka Gonzaga and Notre Dame aren't coming), but current success doesn't guarantee future success anyway. And I do believe that the league can elevate a program and create its own success.

My preference is for no expansion at all, but if we insist I'd look at the following markets (I'm focusing on midwestern markets to balance the league 6 and 6):

If Duquesne or Detroit had really improved their lot the last 10 years, they would have a decent shot. Would have been great fits geographically.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:27 am

stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:There's nobody out there who just works. If they insist on expanding, I think the best bet would just be to pick the major city / media market you want to get into, invite the biggest private d1 school in it (with a commitment to increasing its basketball investment to an agreed upon level), and trust that the power of the Big East brand along with the increased investment will raise its profile.

If Duquesne or Detroit had really improved their lot the last 10 years, they would have a decent shot. Would have been great fits geographically.

I agree. Out those 4, as things currently stand I like Duquesne and Saint Louis best. I think both locations work (though Pittsburgh is better). For Duquense, I like the idea of returning to an old Big East market. For Saint Louis, I think Travis Ford would turn a Big East invite into an instant recruiting boost.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby adoraz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:33 am

Look at any recent conference additions that weren't done out of desperation (aka lost inventory, such as what happened with the AAC). Loyola Chicago to the A10. Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC. UConn to the Big East. Nobody is adding inventory just to add it. They're adding teams that would immediately be amongst the best in their conference.

Dayton won't be added anytime soon, and likely not ever.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby billyjack » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:12 pm

I'm with Gtmo with Notre Dame.

Someone remind me what's binding them to the ACC, that wasn't binding Texas and Oklahoma to the Big-12...?
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:48 pm

billyjack wrote:I'm with Gtmo with Notre Dame.

Someone remind me what's binding them to the ACC, that wasn't binding Texas and Oklahoma to the Big-12...?

The difference between them is when the Grant of Rights expire- both end of the TV contracts
Texas/Oklahoma expire June 2025
ACC expires June 2036
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:16 pm

It is obvious that you don't know nor understand the thinking "under the Golden Dome" (Steve).

Logic and contracts have absolutely NOTHING to do with Domer thinking. If the moneyed backers, trustees, and top Admin brass think
they can do better elsewhere - they will leave the ACC...period. The GDer's still think their football can go anywhere at anytime and
still thrive. Football is the only thing holding them to the ACC and should perceptions change in South Bend, ND will leave
in a heartbeat. Their thinking is that they are Special and that their poop smells like roses. GoR be damned.

If there is an apple cart upset this summer? It will be Notre Dame. :lol:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:19 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:It is obvious that you don't know nor understand the thinking "under the Golden Dome" (Steve).

Logic and contracts have absolutely NOTHING to do with Domer thinking. If the moneyed backers, trustees, and top Admin brass think
they can do better elsewhere - they will leave the ACC...period. The GDer's still think their football can go anywhere at anytime and
still thrive. Football is the only thing holding them to the ACC and should perceptions change in South Bend, ND will leave
in a heartbeat. Their thinking is that they are Special and that their poop smells like roses. GoR be damned.

If there is an apple cart upset this summer? It will be Notre Dame. :lol:

Football they need the ACC big time. 5 games(with most of them in October/November). Bowl games. Those 2 key things will keep them there.

I don't think Notre Dame would be the one to challenge the GOR at all anyways. I think it'd be one of the football programs.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board