Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:56 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I've long thought that the MWC should look to add Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Wichita State, moving to 14 teams. That would solidify that league as a top-7 conference annually, with the strong likelihood that it could even be a top-5 league in some years.

to me with the BYU loss it's almost now or never for Gonzaga to leave the WCC. They have to start to think about where they want to be after Few leaves. I can't imagine it being in the WCC, who would be going back to how things were before Gonzaga emerged I think. In the 2 years before Gonzaga emerged, the WCC champion was a 14 seed.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:37 pm

stever20 wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I've long thought that the MWC should look to add Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Wichita State, moving to 14 teams. That would solidify that league as a top-7 conference annually, with the strong likelihood that it could even be a top-5 league in some years.

to me with the BYU loss it's almost now or never for Gonzaga to leave the WCC. They have to start to think about where they want to be after Few leaves. I can't imagine it being in the WCC, who would be going back to how things were before Gonzaga emerged I think. In the 2 years before Gonzaga emerged, the WCC champion was a 14 seed.

Could not agree with you more. Pivot now from a position of strength.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby jbarajas0490 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:20 am

Looking at DePaul, St. John's, Marquette, Creighton, even Xavier, would love for the league to add a couple cupcakes just for the rest of the season to inflate teams win column a bit. LOL. Seriously only easy out this year is Georgetown. Hell even nova, friars, uconn and hall could use an easy game these matchups are brutal.
jbarajas0490

Postby DeltaV » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:30 pm

jbarajas0490 wrote:Looking at DePaul, St. John's, Marquette, Creighton, even Xavier, would love for the league to add a couple cupcakes just for the rest of the season to inflate teams win column a bit. LOL. Seriously only easy out this year is Georgetown. Hell even nova, friars, uconn and hall could use an easy game these matchups are brutal.

Problem with that idea is that 'adding' the cupcake is going to look ridiculous. Its one thing when the down team is either a traditional conference member (say, Vanderbilt in SEC football) or used to be better (BC in the ACC). Intentionally adding a weak team is just going to make you look week. Who would we add that wouldn't be a duplicate market, but would have any recognition? Duquesne?

This is somewhat where the people are coming from when we talk about adding St. Louis (or my favorite suggestion, Davidson), but even then the talk is about building them up to be a competitor, not a cupcake.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:05 pm

We don’t need to add any other schools especially some random a-10 team . I really like where the big East is rn . I would
Love to have Syracuse and pitt back because they made for great matchups but that’s kinda it . Please for the love of god keep VCU away from the big East
DeadHeadHoya

Postby Cheech » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:40 pm

Another crazy year with Covid, but just watched the Butler game…can’t imagine how bad they are. Also take a look at the attendance numbers for DePaul, St John, GT beyond unacceptable lower level schools do just as well. There will additions and will be announced at end of year. Conference needs a shot in the arm. My son is at the garden for St John /GT he said maybe 6k.
Cheech

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:16 pm

Cheech wrote:Another crazy year with Covid, but just watched the Butler game…can’t imagine how bad they are. Also take a look at the attendance numbers for DePaul, St John, GT beyond unacceptable lower level schools do just as well. There will additions and will be announced at end of year. Conference needs a shot in the arm. My son is at the garden for St John /GT he said maybe 6k.

Lemme guess. Dayton fan?

The only possible shot in the arm is Gonzaga. Anything else is dilution.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby marquette » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:23 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
Cheech wrote:Another crazy year with Covid, but just watched the Butler game…can’t imagine how bad they are. Also take a look at the attendance numbers for DePaul, St John, GT beyond unacceptable lower level schools do just as well. There will additions and will be announced at end of year. Conference needs a shot in the arm. My son is at the garden for St John /GT he said maybe 6k.

Lemme guess. Dayton fan?

The only possible shot in the arm is Gonzaga. Anything else is dilution.

Cheech wrote:Look don’t be a hater, when we are added it will make the conference better. Our rivalry will be back and you can keep yelling and screaming. So why don’t you email or tweet Bilas...Andy Katz..etc...they would ALL tell you Dayton would be a great fit. See ya soon.

You guessed it.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Cheech » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:31 pm

So i don’t post a lot..when I do it’s accurate. The Big East will announce after season the plan for expansion… you can count on it. I told you back in the summer….my last post that it was in the works. Forget Gonzaga not going to happen. Be more concerned by the bottom feeders lack of viewers …Attendance and Performance. Has been going on a long time and drags the conference. . Val and the Presidents know they need a change. My next post will be after the announcement, be angry or dismiss it but it is about to happen. All about Money…no one….NO ONE cares if the message boards like it or they don’t fit in your eyes. You will enjoy the teams coming in and especially the Big time feel they bring vs what we see at DePaul..GT and St Johns.
Cheech

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:17 pm

The best thing is that you don’t post in colors. Otherwise all your posts say Dayton is joining and XU is in financial trouble. :roll:
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board