Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:44 pm

yeah. Fox though gets game 3 of the Was/SF series tonight(the LA/Stl game is on MLB network)- not in prime time and could have only 1 more LA/Stl game tomorrow for their LDS- instead of getting 8 games, could wind up with only 5 games- with no game 5's. Then they could get stuck with a LA/SF NLCS series, which I don't think would get good ratings around the nation(too narrow)...
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Their playoff baseball coverage has been excellent. The games have been awesome. I like the Best-of-5 format, which seems to make every inning really important, and tends to keep teams from abandoning games if they get behind early.

On possible Fox sports properties, didn't they make a bid to buy Time Warner recently, which would get them TBS properties (NBA, MLB, NCAA, etc). I would guess that if they don't grab the Big Ten, then they'd get their properties in other ways.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm torn Billyjack on the best of 5. I agree with you a lot- but I can see the value of a best of 7 as well. I think within a few years it may be a best of 7 for the LDS.....

I thought it was interesting they moved the UFC Fight night off of FS2 onto Fx. Kind of shows how lowly they view FS2. That's a real issue that Fox has- no viable 2nd sports channel.

They did make a bid to buy Time Warner- but were rebuffed. You wonder with this news if that push gets renewed. You just really wonder if Fox could last 7 years with what they have.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:14 pm

stever20 wrote:I'm torn Billyjack on the best of 5. I agree with you a lot- but I can see the value of a best of 7 as well. I think within a few years it may be a best of 7 for the LDS.....

I thought it was interesting they moved the UFC Fight night off of FS2 onto Fx. Kind of shows how lowly they view FS2. That's a real issue that Fox has- no viable 2nd sports channel.

They did make a bid to buy Time Warner- but were rebuffed. You wonder with this news if that push gets renewed. You just really wonder if Fox could last 7 years with what they have.

By "you", do you mean "me" (billyjack), or "me" (stever)...? Or is it the royal "you"...? If "you" means "me" (billyjack), then "yes", I think Fox will make multiple pushes for Time Warner, and "no", I have no question about them being able to last 7 years... they'll be fine.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:20 pm

It was the general you.

And yes- I think there is serious doubt if Fox was rebuffed by Time Warner if FS1 could last with the programming they have now.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:15 pm

stever20 wrote:I think the other thing that this shows as well that's a problem for Fox- it's a big advantage to be an incumbent. ESPN and Turner probably expressed to the NBA that they wanted to get it done before it went out on the market and stepped up to the plate.

It wouldn't shock me if ESPN went to the Big Ten and tried to get something done before it goes on the open market.

I don't know what ESPN has left in money. That's why ESPN did a low bid for the World Cup. FOX owns half of BTN, so that can't hurt Fox in getting the B1G.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:21 pm

stever20 wrote:yeah. Fox though gets game 3 of the Was/SF series tonight(the LA/Stl game is on MLB network)- not in prime time and could have only 1 more LA/Stl game tomorrow for their LDS- instead of getting 8 games, could wind up with only 5 games- with no game 5's. Then they could get stuck with a LA/SF NLCS series, which I don't think would get good ratings around the nation(too narrow)...

Game 3 of Washington at San Francisco is on MLB NETWORK and LA at St. Louis is on FS1 at 9 Et.

On Tuesday both Game 4's are on FS1.
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:27 pm

stever20 wrote:I thought it was interesting they moved the UFC Fight night off of FS2 onto Fx. Kind of shows how lowly they view FS2. That's a real issue that Fox has- no viable 2nd sports channel.
e.

Problem is Fox Sports 2 is only available in about 35 million homes. Don't know what number in who has that channel. I have TWC and i get it in SD as part of my sport pass of $8.99.
MUPanther

Postby Jet915 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:03 pm

MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:I thought it was interesting they moved the UFC Fight night off of FS2 onto Fx. Kind of shows how lowly they view FS2. That's a real issue that Fox has- no viable 2nd sports channel.
e.

Problem is Fox Sports 2 is only available in about 35 million homes. Don't know what number in who has that channel. I have TWC and i get it in SD as part of my sport pass of $8.99.

I think only DirecTV has FS2 on it's popular package. I have Verizon and I can only get it in SD and it's not even part of the sports package as of now, I'd have to upgrade my whole package in order to get it in SD.....no thanks. Maybe once it's in HD and on the sports pass, I will opt for it.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:13 pm

MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:I think the other thing that this shows as well that's a problem for Fox- it's a big advantage to be an incumbent. ESPN and Turner probably expressed to the NBA that they wanted to get it done before it went out on the market and stepped up to the plate.

It wouldn't shock me if ESPN went to the Big Ten and tried to get something done before it goes on the open market.

I don't know what ESPN has left in money. That's why ESPN did a low bid for the World Cup. FOX owns half of BTN, so that can't hurt Fox in getting the B1G.

I've heard folks on here say that about Fox owning half of the BTN, but that is completely meaningless in who gets the Big Ten TV deal. If ESPN's bid is more than Fox's, ESPN will get it. Period end of story.

Also, ESPN knows if they can shut Fox out here, there isn't anything left. So it'd be short term loss for long term gain.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board