Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby NJRedman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:14 am

gtmoBlue wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:That's why I'd like to see Dayton/X in the Big East. If you don't have someone to root for in that one, you'll soon root for X once the Flyer faithful start posting reasons why they're a Final Four team in the pre-season. I'd like to see a public school or two (even if it's not VCU, so WSU or UCONN). I want Creighton fans to hate on the academics of the Shockers, and Hoya fans to bring out the "UCONNVicts". As an outsider, I don't have anyone to root for in the Big East, so I need someone to hate. Adding (or creating over the next couple years, from teams inside the conference) rivalries creates a reason for people unaffiliated to the conference to tune in.

I feel your pain - always nice to have a Southern Illinois to kick around, saved wear and tear on the old girl and the dog. SIU was a great rival - then they faded. Wichita Community College is a "Jonny come lately" and never really materialized as a true rival. This BE camaraderie is sort of a Boy Scout jamboree - earning merit badges, roasting marshmallows, and singing cumbaya.

If haters just gotta hate, then hate on Creighton. We're used to haters, love haters to death. Thing is with Creighton, your hate will grow exponentially as we get better and turn the MSG BET into the "Creighton Invitational". Gonna be fun.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Dougy ain't walking through that door pal. Your window for a Big East Tourny championship has closed. MSG is Mullins house and he and his boys are gonna rule that roost. :D
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEwannabe » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:38 am

dash has the same info as the rest of us and I'm not picking on him but he knows nothing more than you, me and the fence post
BEwannabe

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:53 am

The thing that we absolutely don't know is what happens if UConn does come to the Big East looking to join. Let's say the Big 12 does go to 12 taking Cincy and Memphis. I think at that point things change quickly for UConn. UConn then at that point is at their moment of reckoning. If they go to the Big East at that point- I don't think the Big East can turn them down. I think UConn gets Fox involved as well.

The question at that point, does the league go 11 or 12. I think Fox would almost require us to go to 12 at that point. More volume. Instead of 5 games every rotation, 6. This would allow them to really be able to upgrade the schedule.
stever20

Postby Xudash » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:17 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
Xudash wrote:
expansion is not on the radar right now. They aren't focused on it and they aren't discussing it in any way, shape or form. And the relationships between the Big East, Fox and MSG are all on solid ground.

XU Dash, you made a lot of good points in your post. As usual. Thanks for providing some good reading.

As for this one point about expansion not being on the radar, you state it as a fact. Do you know it as a fact? Inside info? Link? I'm confused.

Or should I be reading your statement above as opinion?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Bill, you may consider it inside info. That is as far as I am going about that.

Nonetheless, we all know we are in a dynamic situation that can change. That's why I wrote what I wrote about the possibility of change, or not.

It's just that, for right now, expansion isn't being considered.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby _lh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:45 pm

This thread is 53 pages long so please excuse this question but does the BE have to expand past the 10 current teams? What would make the BE have to expand?

If they want to expand, they need to be very careful on who they select. UD/SLU/Richmond/VCU are bland and offer very little to the league that is doesn't already have.

I can see shooting for the stars in expansion by trying to get UCONN back in if UCONN finds a place for their crappy football team. I also don't see why if UCONN was added that the BE would have to add a 12th team, just to get to 12 teams. The B10 played with 11 teams for years.

As far as UD goes, in a vacuum they would have been a decent add to the conference before XU and Butler were selected. Now they make no sense at all. Sorry.
Xavier
_lh

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:56 pm

_lh wrote:This thread is 53 pages long so please excuse this question but does the BE have to expand past the 10 current teams? What would make the BE have to expand?

If they want to expand, they need to be very careful on who they select. UD/SLU/Richmond/VCU are bland and offer very little to the league that is doesn't already have.

I can see shooting for the stars in expansion by trying to get UCONN back in if UCONN finds a place for their crappy football team. I also don't see why if UCONN was added that the BE would have to add a 12th team, just to get to 12 teams. The B10 played with 11 teams for years.

As far as UD goes, in a vacuum they would have been a decent add to the conference before XU and Butler were selected. Now they make no sense at all. Sorry.

I think there are reasons why the Big East would go to 12 instead of just 11 with UConn....
1- tournament. Would be able to have 2 sessions in the 1st round. This makes the league conservatively 750k (15k *50) just in 1 extra session.
2- schedule. Would be able to have everyone play each rotation. No byes necessary. Means everyone is able to play on the weekend every weekend.
3- TV. Would have more selections each rotation, which means tv would be able to select better games.

While you may find Dayton/VCU bland, the basketball world doesn't. While they are teams that you don't go from 10 to 12 based on, they are definitely teams that you go from 11 to 12 on and reap the benefits that come with that.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:00 pm

stever20 wrote:The thing that we absolutely don't know is what happens if UConn does come to the Big East looking to join. Let's say the Big 12 does go to 12 taking Cincy and Memphis. I think at that point things change quickly for UConn. UConn then at that point is at their moment of reckoning. If they go to the Big East at that point- I don't think the Big East can turn them down. I think UConn gets Fox involved as well.

The question at that point, does the league go 11 or 12. I think Fox would almost require us to go to 12 at that point. More volume. Instead of 5 games every rotation, 6. This would allow them to really be able to upgrade the schedule.

The only problem with that scenario is that the Big 12 isn't expanding any time soon. They don't want to further dilute their payout to programs that don't tilt the scales in their favor. Cincinnati, a very solid football program, and Memphis, recent success, aren't national programs that would increase TV money. The Big 12, with the conference championships likely being amended soon, can afford to sit tight until its time to renegotiate. Texas, whether right/wrong and whether anybody likes/dislikes it, is running the Big 12. They control whether any school is considered for expansion.

_lh wrote:This thread is 53 pages long so please excuse this question but does the BE have to expand past the 10 current teams? What would make the BE have to expand?

The same reasons why expansion is a topic for any conference. More exposure, more TV, more money. Offering 6 games on a given day to FS1 is more valuable than just 5 (with one school having to sit out). Although the topic has been beaten to death like a dead horse, Dayton, whether you agree or not, is one of the top candidates for expansion. Whether they get an invitation remains to be seen, but saying they don't make sense or don't fit is just inaccurate.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:04 pm

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all that the Big 12 will get to have a CCG with only 10 teams. I think all Bowlsby did was do hope speak there. They don't want to expand, but I think the other P5 conferences are going to kind of force their hands.
stever20

Postby _lh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:09 pm

I don't think UD is a top candidate at all and I see very little value in expanding past 10 unless it is UCONN.
Xavier
_lh

Postby _lh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:22 pm

stever20 wrote:

I think there are reasons why the Big East would go to 12 instead of just 11 with UConn....
1- tournament. Would be able to have 2 sessions in the 1st round. This makes the league conservatively 750k (15k *50) just in 1 extra session.
2- schedule. Would be able to have everyone play each rotation. No byes necessary. Means everyone is able to play on the weekend every weekend.
3- TV. Would have more selections each rotation, which means tv would be able to select better games.

While you may find Dayton/VCU bland, the basketball world doesn't. While they are teams that you don't go from 10 to 12 based on, they are definitely teams that you go from 11 to 12 on and reap the benefits that come with that.

UCONN is a no brainer but no other potential candidate is so I'd rather pass on 1, 2 and 3 above with 11 strong teams than add a 12th team just to get to 12.

Yes they do. People on the east coast don't care about follow or know much about UD or SLU. Same goes for the mid westerners in regards to Richmond and VCU.
Xavier
_lh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board