OOC Performance. How will it effect Selection Sunday?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: OOC Performance. How will it effect Selection Sunday?

Postby Xuperman » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:11 am

DudeAnon wrote:Have to agree, Creighton has 2 good losses and one pretty bad one (at home). That is not going to be a top tier team we thought they may be. That puts UConn at top with X, Creighton and Marquette behind. I would say we are looking at 4 to 5 bids but only 2 of those being top 6 seeds.

Here's the thing with Creighton going forward. They are out of the top 10 as of Monday.....could fall 8-10 spots. They are not going to return anytime soon. Even if they reel off 6 straight before UConn, it probably won't create much upward movement in the polls. Besides, after bricking FIFTY THREE 3s (14-67) in the last 2 games, it's looking like they could get tripped up once or twice before 1/7.

The scenario that started this thread is playing out. Only 3 or 4 teams are going to have OOC resumes that will HELP secure an "at large". If there is a scrum in the middle (likely), where 4-5 teams end up around .500 in conference, it will probably hurt our bid count.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:23 am

For what it's worth, this kind of season was inevitable. For almost the entirety of the NBE we have performed incredibly well in the non con and the woes have been in March. Either way, thanks UConn for not shitting the bed! Now we watch the conference play out and hope that we over perform in March instead.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Xuperman » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:15 am

Welp folks, that OOC didn't go well for the conference as a whole, although MU and BU has some positives for the committee to consider for an at-large, IF they can tally 11+ conference wins.

I never bought into the Creighton pre-hype. They sure did drop like a lead balloon and the Kalk situation will certainly be the excuse here and in Omaha. Actually the Blue Jays and Wildcats are in an eerily similar boat. Both teams can point to injuries to justify their poor OOC performance, however it is unlikely that it will garner enough consideration to overcome the negative knock for an at-large. The problem is, BOTH teams will likely take some hits from the lower half of the league.....especially on the road. IMO, both teams need 14+ conference wins to be safely in the tournament.

So where are we? UConn is not going to stop the carnage. I see no reason whatsoever, to ease up on my early prediction. They are destined for a #1 seed, so no need to analyze them any longer.

X has done enough to punch a ticket with 12+ conference wins.....anything beyond that moves them to a progressively higher seeding. I think Marquette is IN. When you have a guy like Kolek, surrounded by elite athleticism and a Coach who has proven to kick ass with that type of roster.....it's happening man! St. Johns is similar, and bubblicious! They are going to win at least 10, and create mass chaos in doing so.

Going to look something like this

UConn
Whitmore
Xavier
Creighton
Marquette
St.Johns
Butler
PC
Hall
Demons
Fighting Ewings

I think we get 5 in.
Xuperman

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:34 am

Xuperman wrote:Welp folks, that OOC didn't go well for the conference as a whole, although MU and BU has some positives for the committee to consider for an at-large, IF they can tally 11+ conference wins.

I never bought into the Creighton pre-hype. They sure did drop like a lead balloon and the Kalk situation will certainly be the excuse here and in Omaha. Actually the Blue Jays and Wildcats are in an eerily similar boat. Both teams can point to injuries to justify their poor OOC performance, however it is unlikely that it will garner enough consideration to overcome the negative knock for an at-large. The problem is, BOTH teams will likely take some hits from the lower half of the league.....especially on the road. IMO, both teams need 14+ conference wins to be safely in the tournament.

So where are we? UConn is not going to stop the carnage. I see no reason whatsoever, to ease up on my early prediction. They are destined for a #1 seed, so no need to analyze them any longer.

X has done enough to punch a ticket with 12+ conference wins.....anything beyond that moves them to a progressively higher seeding. I think Marquette is IN. When you have a guy like Kolek, surrounded by elite athleticism and a Coach who has proven to kick ass with that type of roster.....it's happening man! St. Johns is similar, and bubblicious! They are going to win at least 10, and create mass chaos in doing so.

UConn
Whitmore
Xavier
Creighton
Marquette
St.Johns
Butler
PC
Hall
Demons
Fighting Ewings

I think we get 5 in.

Lots of hoops still to play. OOC of course is important but I think the conference slate still gives all teams (minus G'town) the chance to save their seasons, or enhance their resumes and get bids. Teams are going to get the UConn scalp; someone is going to overachieve and others underachieve. I can't see the games Whitmore (and Moore) missing being much of an issue if Nova finishes Top 4 in this tough league, especially if he continues to be our best player. Like it or not Nova has earned the premium brand badge and there will be pressure on the Committee to give them the nod if close. And the BET may be very meaningful for many teams also.

It's going to be a blood bath yet again and we're just going to have to see who's ready for it and who's not.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:39 am

Xuperman wrote:Welp folks, that OOC didn't go well for the conference as a whole, although MU and BU has some positives for the committee to consider for an at-large, IF they can tally 11+ conference wins.

UConn
Whitmore
Xavier
Creighton
Marquette
St.Johns
Butler
PC
Hall
Demons
Fighting Ewings

I think we get 5 in.

The league is interesting right now. For all but UConn and St John's(maybe) going 10-10 is going to be required to even begin to have a chance of going to March. For the 4 OOC loss teams, really 11-9 is required(Seton Hall right now, DePaul if they lose to Northwestern). For Creighton and Villanova now 12-8 is going to be required to just make it.

League really needs final standings to be like it was last year- with 6 teams with at least 11 conference wins. That would get 6 in most likely.
stever20

Postby Xuperman » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:01 am

Ok, Gumby, but the last thing you want if you're Nova is another Big East blood bath. Unfortunately, it looks inevitable. As everyone knows, the committee hands out at large bids based on high profile OOC wins and overall Net Q1-Q2 records. The Villanova cache, W/O GQJ, most likely will not save an 18-13 Nova even with a UConn W.....the 8 conference losses would simply be too much to overcome if the bubble is strong.

Is an 18-2 Huskie record far fetched? No, so if that is the case, look for all the other contenders to struggle landing at 14 wins. Most likely 4-5 get bunched together in that 9-11 NIT maker zone.

Again, MU will heavily influence everything that transpires and why isn't anyone else here seeing what the Johnnies kids have cookin'? Posh, Jones, Curbelo, and the bona fide emergence of Soriano down low is a roster only Travis Steele could screw up.
Xuperman

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:00 pm

What's our final conclusion? Here's my take:

The league as a whole missed a lot of opportunities, but UCONN and Marquette definitely improved their NCAA chances.

Nova and Creighton worsened theirs.

Xavier probably did what was expected and should have an NCAA resume.

St John's, Hall, Butler, and Providence are not tourney teams as things stand now.

DePaul and Georgetown are a mess.
ArmyVet

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:21 pm

ArmyVet wrote:What's our final conclusion? Here's my take:

The league as a whole missed a lot of opportunities, but UCONN and Marquette definitely improved their NCAA chances.

St John's, Hall, Butler, and Providence are not tourney teams as things stand now.

I agree with most everything. I do think due to record St John's has a decent chance. If they can go like 10-10 or even 11-9, they'd have 20 or 21 wins. That's gonna be pretty good. Right now they have no bad losses.

I think Nova and Creighton are in some trouble. I think they need 12-8 to have a realistic chance at all.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:15 pm

stever20 wrote:

I agree with most everything. I do think due to record St John's has a decent chance. If they can go like 10-10 or even 11-9, they'd have 20 or 21 wins. That's gonna be pretty good. Right now they have no bad losses.

I think Nova and Creighton are in some trouble. I think they need 12-8 to have a realistic chance at all.

At full strength, Creighton and Nova are both NCAA teams. The question is how deep of a hole have they dug themselves and will the committee consider their injury situations when teams are discussed?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:23 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

At full strength, Creighton and Nova are both NCAA teams. The question is how deep of a hole have they dug themselves and will the committee consider their injury situations when teams are discussed?

I don't think that matters if they finish something like 17-15 though. I do think if they're 18-14 or 19-13, that's when they're helped by it.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board