Big East Standings Prediction thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Standings Prediction thread

Postby MackNova » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:53 pm

Django wrote:
MackNova wrote:Currently enjoying Providence playing 1 game in 10 days when they should have 3 games to make up.

Coming from a Nova fan that’s rich.

2020-21 and 2021-22 are night and day differences in terms of COVID. And Villanova lost 2 games against DePaul. Providence lost 3 games they would likely be betting underdogs in (or maaaybe slight favorites).
MackNova

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:55 pm

MackNova wrote:
Django wrote:
MackNova wrote:Currently enjoying Providence playing 1 game in 10 days when they should have 3 games to make up.

Coming from a Nova fan that’s rich.

2020-21 and 2021-22 are night and day differences in terms of COVID. And Villanova lost 2 games against DePaul. Providence lost 3 games they would likely be betting underdogs in (or maaaybe slight favorites).

plus the difference is the league had been a lot more aggressive in making up games earlier this year, then like just stopped. That's the really strange part in all of this.
stever20

Postby Django » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:03 pm

stever20 wrote:
plus the difference is the league had been a lot more aggressive in making up games earlier this year, then like just stopped. That's the really strange part in all of this.

Did it stop right about the same time Val and Coach Cooley were seen together walking out of the Park Hyatt? :lol:
Django

Postby MackNova » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:04 pm

It went from forcing teams to forfeit, to aggressively rescheduling games, to saying "nah, we're good." Providence had time to make up a game this week and early next week. It also has time after its final regular season game to make up a game.

Obviously, I'm a Villanova fan, so I'm biased, but it's ridiculous to me that the league went from forfeits and reschedulings to nothing. I know Villanova benefited from this last year, but Villanova was the best team in the league according to literally every metric, and 4 of the games they lost were against Xavier and DePaul, two teams Nova was clearly better than last season. And there was no vaccine last year.
MackNova

Postby pc5151 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:13 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with you being a Nova fan and being biased, it has everything to do with you having no idea how the rescheduling works. PC can't play themselves, there has to be another team involved. Seton Hall played last night so that one should have been easy for you. The Big East doesn't allow for teams to play back to back weeks with 3 games so that eliminates UConn and Creighton. Try educating yourself before posting.
pc5151

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:22 pm

pc5151 wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with you being a Nova fan and being biased, it has everything to do with you having no idea how the rescheduling works. PC can't play themselves, there has to be another team involved. Seton Hall played last night so that one should have been easy for you. The Big East doesn't allow for teams to play back to back weeks with 3 games so that eliminates UConn and Creighton. Try educating yourself before posting.

ok now do Creighton.

The game on last Sunday shouldn't count as it was originally scheduled on Saturday. So Providence just played 1 and 6th and then the 12th.
Creighton played 1st and 4th and then 8th and 12th.

So why couldn't Providence and Creighton play on the 10th?

And then one of Seton Hall/UConn could have been made up the final week. UConn has 2 games the next to last week and so does Seton Hall. Both have a game on the 2nd, so one of those could have been moved like what the Big Ten has done some to the 1st and then have the makeup game on the 3rd of March. Would have been the 2nd game of the week for Providence. Maybe have whichever one was cancelled 1st be made up.
stever20

Postby MackNova » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:05 pm

stever20 wrote:
pc5151 wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with you being a Nova fan and being biased, it has everything to do with you having no idea how the rescheduling works. PC can't play themselves, there has to be another team involved. Seton Hall played last night so that one should have been easy for you. The Big East doesn't allow for teams to play back to back weeks with 3 games so that eliminates UConn and Creighton. Try educating yourself before posting.

ok now do Creighton.

The game on last Sunday shouldn't count as it was originally scheduled on Saturday. So Providence just played 1 and 6th and then the 12th.
Creighton played 1st and 4th and then 8th and 12th.

So why couldn't Providence and Creighton play on the 10th?

And then one of Seton Hall/UConn could have been made up the final week. UConn has 2 games the next to last week and so does Seton Hall. Both have a game on the 2nd, so one of those could have been moved like what the Big Ten has done some to the 1st and then have the makeup game on the 3rd of March. Would have been the 2nd game of the week for Providence. Maybe have whichever one was cancelled 1st be made up.

Yep. There were plenty of ways to move games around to make things work.
MackNova

Postby pc5151 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:40 pm

Stever, I know the old you would just ignore facts for the sake of an argument but this new you actually seems enjoyable. I used to hop on this site, see that you posted and leave without even clicking into a thread. Please don't go back to feigning stupid for the sake of your argument.

So lets review this one more time. The BIG EAST, not PC, please follow me here, the BIG EAST says you cannot play back to back weeks of 3 games. The college basketball week is Monday through Sunday. Stay with me please. The 8th, 10th and 12th would be one week for Creighton with 3 games and the next week they would play on the 14th, 17th and 20th. That is also 3 games. Lets review the rule again Stever and MackNova. You cannot play back to back 3 game weeks and just so you don't go full old school Stever here, this is the Big East that made that rule, NOT Providence.

MackNova, do you really believe that its PC doing the scheduling? We all acknowledge that PC is getting and advantage here, not one of those games can be assumed to be a win. But implying this is PCs decision is just stupid.
Last edited by pc5151 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pc5151

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:50 pm

pc5151 wrote:Stever, I know the old you would just ignore facts for the sake of an argument but this new you actually seems enjoyable. I used to hop on this site, see that you posted and leave without even clicking into a thread. Please don't go back to feigning stupid for the sake of your argument.

So lets review this one more time. The BIG EAST, not PC, please follow me here, the BIG EAST says you cannot play back to back weeks of 3 games. The college basketball week is Monday through Sunday. Stay with me please. The 4th, 10th and 12th would be one week for Creighton with 3 games and the next week they would play on the 14th, 17th and 20th. That is also 3 games. Lets review the rule again Stever and MackNova. You cannot play back to back 3 game weeks and just so you don't go full old school Stever here, this is the Big East that made that rule, NOT Providence.

MackNova, do you really believe that its PC doing the scheduling? We all acknowledge that PC is getting and advantage here, not one of those games can be assumed to be a win. But implying this is PCs decision is just stupid.

I see what they could do if they wanted to do it with it.... move the Creighton/Marquette game to Monday the 21st.

Creighton would have games
week 1- 8th, 10th(makeup), 12th
week 2- 14th, 17th
week 3- 21st, 23rd, 26th

Providence would have games
week 1- 10th 12th
week 2- 15th 20th
week 3- 23rd 26th

Creighton has home game moved from Sunday to Monday- but in it's place gets another date.

Anyways it seems like it's a moot point. League seems pretty content not making up the games. Maybe to protect the top teams so they all don't have chances with losses. It's an interesting thought I'd say.
stever20

Postby Xuperman » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:55 am

After yesterday's debacle, X might want to get comfortable with that 7 seed at MSG. Hello Wednesday vs DePaul...yikes!!
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board