(4) Sunday Big East Games 11/21/21

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Sunday Big East Games 11/21/21

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:18 pm

Bad days allow you to value the good ones.

But damn it sucked to lose those matchups. Ouch
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:49 pm

Well that halted our momentum a bit. By no means disastrous as all losses were to good / potentially better teams, but still a disappointing end to a week in which nearly everything else went right.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby sju88grad » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:01 pm

If you think about it, the entire Big East has one bad loss (Georgetown to Dartmouth). If you follow the Non-Big East games thread, there are dozens of bad losses all over the country. I think we’re doing just fine.
sju88grad

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:53 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:
This does not look good for Marquette after having such a great start. I was hoping they would at least keep it close to secure a T25 ranking tomorrow. But damn, right now looking really bad.

ecasadoSBU wrote:
7.5 mins in and Marquette still without a field goal. What a mess.

There’s nothing embarrassing about losing to St. Bonaventure this season – they are legit. They have a very experienced starting line-up that played great defense last season. Last night, the Bonnies’ much-heralded defense held Marquette to 30% on FGs and 22% on 3-pointers. Marquette didn’t help their cause by making only 14 of 24 FTs (58%).

St. Bonaventure 70, Marquette 54 - ESPN Box Score •••••• St. Bonaventure 70, Marquette 54 - ESPN Play-by-Play

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#19 ST. BONAVENTURE 2021-2022 PREVIEW - Joel Welser, College Sports Madness – October 22, 2021
Key Departed Players:
Alejandro Vasquez, Guard, 4.4 ppg
Jalen Shaw, Forward/Center, 1.4 ppg

Key Returning Players:
Kyle Lofton, Senior, Guard, 14.4 ppg
Jaren Holmes, Senior, Guard, 13.8 ppg
Jalen Adaway, Senior, Guard, 12.2 ppg
Dominick Welch, Senior, Guard, 11.4 ppg
Osun Osunniyi, Senior, Forward/Center, 10.7 ppg

Key New Players:
Quadry Adams, RS Freshman, Guard, Transfer from Wake Forest
Abdoul Karim Coulibaly, Sophomore, Forward, Transfer from Pitt
Linton Brown, Sophomore, Guard, JC Transfer
Oluwasegun Durosinmi, Freshman, Forward/Center, JC Transfer

Projection:
All five returning players averaged double digits in the scoring column. All five also played great defense and the Bonnies ranked in the top ten in the nation in scoring defense and field-goal defense.
The five players averaged at least 33 minutes per game last season.

A-10 Defensive Player of the Year Osun Osunniyi is a huge reason for that success on that end of the floor. He is a superb rim protector and averaged 2.9 blocks per game on top of his 10.7 points, 9.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists. Point guard Kyle Lofton led the way in the scoring department with his 14.4 points and added a team high 5.5 assists and 1.4 steals.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

admin wrote:
This is just a day where you tip your cap to the victors.

Big East lost three games, but they were to the best teams in the A10, MWC, and Big Ten. None will be viewed as bad losses.

I agree. It has been a historically great week for the Big East Conference, and it left the Big Ten Conference reeling in its wake.

The fans of Big East basketball have every reason to be proud today. Enjoy the week and the season. It's looking to be a good one!

Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby MUPanther » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:04 pm

sju88grad wrote:If you think about it, the entire Big East has one bad loss (Georgetown to Dartmouth). If you follow the Non-Big East games thread, there are dozens of bad losses all over the country. I think we’re doing just fine.

Yep, Colorado State beating Creighton is not a bad loss. I thought CSU should have been an at-large team. Everyone is back!

Villanova losing 10+ point leads in the 2nd half to UCLA & Purdue is a bit rough.

Does St. John's have to beat Kansas? Their non-conference schedule is super soft. Heck, Colgate is better than Pitt.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Husky_U wrote:Someone tell Shaka that calling an end-of-game timeout to get your walk-ons in the game is a common practice.

Yet, that is not what happened at the end. They didn't roll the timeout thru, which is common practice. They huddled on the court to showboat on the floor after the huddle. There fans chant, Shaka who? I guess the Bonnie's are not used to winning.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby marquette » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:14 pm

That was a tough one. At the end of the day there's a reason Bona has a number next to their name. They played like the veteran team they are and we played like a young, inconsistent, and inexperienced one. Full credit to SBU for their great play. I will say that I didn't feel like we were so thouroughly outclassed that we didn't belong on the floor with them. This team is still ahead of where I thout we would be at this point. 5-1, on to the next.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:38 pm

Overall a good week for the league. Let's keep it going this week.

#RollBigEastRoll!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board