Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Novachap » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Husky_U wrote:#12

Husky... going to assume that was seriously in the sarcasm font! Rollie actually played his college ball at Vermont.
Novachap

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:37 pm

6 of our 10 averaged over 10k this year. Butler would've made it 7 if Hinkle had the capacity. St. John's draws perfectly fine at the Garden but obviously playing games at Carnesecca brings their average down. It's not that simple to just "play every game at the Garden." MSG's booked pretty much every night so scheduling is difficult and the rent to play there isn't cheap. And for the few that do have some attendance issues - why would bringing a bunch of visiting fans down for 1 game be attractive to them?

The only event we care about how well fans travel for is the Big East Tournament, which we already pretty much sell out - and that's pre-UConn.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Novachap » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Cheech wrote:Money ...TV controls sports. With the virus the game has significantly changed. The BE will go to 12 quicker than expected because of the new reality. Dayton financially is stronger than most BE schools and fits the model. On the court as I told you last summer Grant has taken Dayton to the next level. Coach of year, player of year and hosted College Game Day. UD current President has a personal relationship with Nova Pres and that relationship will go a long way. So in last 7 years , 5 NCAA appearances , a Elite 8 and last year a Number 1 seed. The bottom feeders of the BE are no where close to Dayton’s Performance and more importantly in attendance and TV ratings. There should be a clamor to add UD . The National attention...the rivalry not only with X but the games with Butler /DePaul/Marquette all drivable would be epic . When UD heads East our fans who travel only second to Kentucky fans would fill the Arenas in NY/NJ/DC. Dayton would be a huge positive and the BE would take UD with Grant to the Nova level of recruiting and performance.

Yes, Dayton has a nice program with some recent success. But jumping Grant to the Wright/ Nova level.. dude.. wow. BTW, I missed Dayton being seeded #1 in last year's tournament. Yes, they had a good team, but several in the BE could have had a decent run too and were playing very well at the end of the year against far superior competition. It sucked for everyone, probably more for you with a generational talent, but, it never happened so we will never know.--- I think to ever be considered, Dayton would have to sustain it long term (like X did).

As you said, TV money controls a lot of this. The Dayton market produces virtually NOTHING above what X already does, and don't even think of comparing the TV value against many of the "bottom feeders" you referenced. The Chicago, DC and NY markets are just a tad more interesting to Fox than Dayton. The reality is, you need this more than the conference and the value proposition is much more beneficial to Dayton than to the conference.

No one knows how this will shake out over time, but IMHO.. like UCONN, the only slam dunk for the BE is Notre Dame and that probably won't happen again. They provide tangible value to the conference...
Novachap

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:02 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Image

Pedro : Man, what is in this shit, man?

Man Stoner : Mostly Maui Waui man, but it's got some Labrador in it.

Pedro : What's Labrador?

Man Stoner : It's dog shit.

Pedro : What?

Man Stoner : Yeah, my dog ate my stash, man.

Pedro : Yeah?

Man Stoner : I had it on the table and the little motherfucker ate it, man. Then I had to follow him around with a little baggie for three days, man, before I got it back. Really blew the dog's mind, ya know?

Pedro : You mean we're smokin' dog shit, man?

Man Stoner : Gets ya high, don't it?

[Song, "Rockin' Robin" plays...]

Man Stoner : I think it's even better than before, you know?

Pedro : Uhhh, I wonder what Great Dane tastes like, man.
Savannah Jay

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Novachap wrote:
Cheech wrote:Money ...TV controls sports. With the virus the game has significantly changed. The BE will go to 12 quicker than expected because of the new reality. Dayton financially is stronger than most BE schools and fits the model. On the court as I told you last summer Grant has taken Dayton to the next level. Coach of year, player of year and hosted College Game Day. UD current President has a personal relationship with Nova Pres and that relationship will go a long way. So in last 7 years , 5 NCAA appearances , a Elite 8 and last year a Number 1 seed. The bottom feeders of the BE are no where close to Dayton’s Performance and more importantly in attendance and TV ratings. There should be a clamor to add UD . The National attention...the rivalry not only with X but the games with Butler /DePaul/Marquette all drivable would be epic . When UD heads East our fans who travel only second to Kentucky fans would fill the Arenas in NY/NJ/DC. Dayton would be a huge positive and the BE would take UD with Grant to the Nova level of recruiting and performance.

Yes, Dayton has a nice program with some recent success. But jumping Grant to the Wright/ Nova level.. dude.. wow. BTW, I missed Dayton being seeded #1 in last year's tournament. Yes, they had a good team, but several in the BE could have had a decent run too and were playing very well at the end of the year against far superior competition. It sucked for everyone, probably more for you with a generational talent, but, it never happened so we will never know.--- I think to ever be considered, Dayton would have to sustain it long term (like X did).

As you said, TV money controls a lot of this. The Dayton market produces virtually NOTHING above what X already does, and don't even think of comparing the TV value against many of the "bottom feeders" you referenced. The Chicago, DC and NY markets are just a tad more interesting to Fox than Dayton. The reality is, you need this more than the conference and the value proposition is much more beneficial to Dayton than to the conference.

No one knows how this will shake out over time, but IMHO.. like UCONN, the only slam dunk for the BE is Notre Dame and that probably won't happen again. They provide tangible value to the conference...

In case anyone gives a sheet, Villanova has won more NCAAT titles (3...but ya knew that) than Dayton has conference tourney titles (2). Villanova has 13 regular season conference titles and the Flyers have 3. I have no interest in researching this, but i am guessing that Villanova has sent more guys to the NBA in the last 4 years than Dayton has...ever. So yeah...seems like the Flyers are right there with the WIldcats...FFS.
Savannah Jay

Postby xufan02 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm

SMH, now fellow Big East fans understand what Xavier fans had to deal with for years. Dayton is the best.
xufan02

Postby Xudash » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:39 pm

xufan02 wrote:SMH, now fellow Big East fans understand what Xavier fans had to deal with for years. Dayton is the best.

Pre-season champs, every single year. Impressive.

And that Dayton media market. Why on God's earth must we suffer so much by being tied so much to the Eastern Seaboard?

Gumby and Savannah, thanks for the good laugh from that Cheech & Chong classic, but you need acid or quaaludes or both to get to the level of delusion from which most UD fans operate.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Looks as though UD fans are not only delusional, but also unhappy.

Make the best of who you are, what you have, where you are... Stay in the "now"...the present. The future will be what it is supposed to be.

https://prezi.com/bqtxnwjeep5d/big-fish ... ttle-pond/
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Husky_U » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Xavier may be the only nondelusional basketball fanbase in Ohio.
Husky_U

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board