UConn Smoke

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn smoke

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:41 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:It's not about spite...it's about what is best for the conference in terms of: money, visibility, prestige, and competitiveness. Adding UConn would help all of those. We'd obviously get a nice raise from FOX too or whoever gets our rights. It would make it much harder to ignore the Big East and much harder for any pundits or fans to imply we are not a major conference. Enough with STL, Dayton, and VCU. Yuck. When we got Creighton, Butler, and Xavier they were already ranked all the time and were legitimate forces nationally. Butler and Xavier made regular deep runs in the tourney. Creighton was a monster in the MWC. We already knew these were major programs playing in mid major conferences like Gonzaga is now. That's why they were no-brainers. STL, Dayton, and VCU have not shown me they are ripe enough at this point to have a brand like X, CU, and Butler. If anything they'd make people see us as more of a mid major conference. UConn coming would not be seen by anyone as bringing the league down and they already cemented their prestige and history. They're already a major program and they already have huge rivalries built in.

Villanova vs. UConn
Georgetown vs. UConn
PC vs. UConn
St. John's vs. UConn

Pretty sure these games would all be sellouts in the regular season on a regular basis and it makes the Big East Tourney that much more exciting. Are UConn fans jerks? Yeah. Are they annoying? Yeah. But as some others have said, just beat them. Syracuse fans were jerks until we beat them 3 times in a row and then they went running away with their tail between their legs. Dan Hurley is already turning them around instantly and they will have a top 10 class coming in next year. We know they're going to succeed eventually in the AAC and get ranked with Hurley, so why not be a part of it? Just imagine #15 Villanova vs. #17 UConn on ESPN2. Imagine the Big East Tourney sold out every session. I hate them and we don't need them, but they only add to our success. They put us over the top.

Yep, well said.

Talk of teams like Dayton, SLU, VCU, etc screams mid major. Adding them would be negative press for our conference. None of those teams have done nearly enough. Let's see if they can string together a few successful seasons, and then revisit.

For now, UConn (and maybe Gonzaga) is the only option. And they're an excellent option in many regards.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:It's not about spite...it's about what is best for the conference in terms of: money, visibility, prestige, and competitiveness. Adding UConn would help all of those. We'd obviously get a nice raise from FOX too or whoever gets our rights. It would make it much harder to ignore the Big East and much harder for any pundits or fans to imply we are not a major conference. Enough with STL, Dayton, and VCU. Yuck. When we got Creighton, Butler, and Xavier they were already ranked all the time and were legitimate forces nationally. Butler and Xavier made regular deep runs in the tourney. Creighton was a monster in the MWC. We already knew these were major programs playing in mid major conferences like Gonzaga is now. That's why they were no-brainers. STL, Dayton, and VCU have not shown me they are ripe enough at this point to have a brand like X, CU, and Butler. If anything they'd make people see us as more of a mid major conference.

UConn would elevate the Conference, also open the door to future public schools coming in. I think that's a good thing (obviously, since I'm a VCU fan). The private/public dynamic creates more intense rivalries, and gives the "casual" viewer more reason to tune in. I'll watch Tech/UVA/Maryland play, because I live in that area and know people with connections between those schools.

I don't think the thought of adding VCU is "yuck." The program is dedicated to basketball - show me any program that has gone through 5 coaching changes in 14 years (with 10 NCAA appearances) and still remain a winning program throughout. That's an institution dedicated to being the best in basketball - it's their bread and butter. On top, theres a $25 Million basketball only practice facility, $1.84 Billion Endowment and $2 Million/year contract for tier 2/3 media rights. The fans travel to NYC for the tournament already - consistently being the largest fanbase there for A10 tournaments. Adding VCU would also add another media market (#55) but also open up the entire state (most students are from Northern Virginia or VA Beach). VCU would also keep the conference going down the I95 corridor, adding another basketball located in the inner city.

Either way, UConn is a slam dunk. SLU would also make sense to add along with them since it adds a new market as well as keeping a West/East balance in the Conference. I hope that the Big East adds 4: UConn, VCU, SLU and Dayton. That's probably just wishful thinking on my part, because the A10 is a sinking ship.

I like VCU more than most expansion candidates, but they need to get back to being a consistent Tournament team first. I've been rooting for them to make a run in the Tournament, but hasn't happened in a while.

Long term I think they're a possibility (along with SLU, Dayton), but short term not so much.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:04 pm

adoraz wrote:
I like VCU more than most expansion candidates, but they need to get back to being a consistent Tournament team first. I've been rooting for them to make a run in the Tournament, but hasn't happened in a while.

Long term I think they're a possibility (along with SLU, Dayton), but short term not so much.

You're right, we haven't made a run in the tournament in a while (still mad at us being up 4 points in the final minute against Indiana to go to the S16 and failing). But we've been a consistent Tournament team (7/8 years, or 8/10 in the last decade - all but 2 as at-larges). Last year was rough, at 19-14 and missing the tournament with another coaching change. I think we're on track for the bubble this year.

Anyways, UConn is a slam dunk for the Conference and if they want in - should be added yesterday.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Let me clarify as well, that I'm not in favor of begging UConn to join us and caving to their every demand to get it done. I'm in favor of letting them join on our terms - and the recent reports of the AAC's willingness to F them over financially likely gives us a big opening to get a Big East friendly deal done.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:28 pm

[quote="Hall2012"]Let me clarify as well, that I'm not in favor of begging UConn to join us and caving to their every demand to get it done. I'm in favor of letting them join on our terms - and the recent reports of the AAC's willingness to F them over financially likely gives us a big opening to get a Big East friendly deal done.

...and nIce UConn knee pads.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm

What's wrong gtmo? Scared of what a little puppy can do to your big strong jaybirds? And from this thread it's pretty clear I'm not alone in my opinion.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Gtmo is afraid big UConn would make little Creighton irrelevant. ;)

Not to worry, UConn would just make Creighton bigger and better.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm anti public schools in our conference. You had me at Gonzaga and St Louis.

Not certain how the Pres' feel about adding a public school and opening themselves up to increased govt reporting requirements. The ADs probably are all for UConn. Add as many Private universities as you like. ;)

Puppies are a worry for my rugs, not my Jays. :lol:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kayako » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:09 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Not certain how the Pres' feel about adding a public school and opening themselves up to increased govt reporting requirements.

What's Creighton hiding?
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:09 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:I'm anti public schools in our conference. You had me at Gonzaga and St Louis.

Not certain how the Pres' feel about adding a public school and opening themselves up to increased govt reporting requirements. The ADs probably are all for UConn. Add as many Private universities as you like. ;)

Puppies are a worry for my rugs, not my Jays. :lol:

That's fair enough and I somewhat agree. UConn is in a small list of public schools that I'd be willing to make an exception for, and the only one of that list that could be even remotely realistic.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board