How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby TBC Alum » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:39 pm

I don't agree Jet. It wasn't his recruits that fueled the discussion to dismiss him. It was the dumpster fire of a locker room that made (and makes) his seat hot.

Recruits may buy some time and hope but they don't secure your seat. Right Lavin?
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Amase2 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Message boards:

Fan of school X disagrees with fan of school Y. School Y says something stupid in response and now EVERY fan of school Y is an idiot.

Gotta love it.
Amase2

Postby NJRedman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:02 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:This is Philly in a nutshell. Their insecurity and little brother syndrome they have with NYC.

1. No one was talking shit about Jay.

2. No one said he was on the hot seat.

3. Now that you mention it though he and Nova are chokers just like every other team in Philly.

4. You Nova posters are insecure morons who literally are upset because Jay was named in a thread about every coach in the conference. If you actually read the post I said his seat is cold and you all lost your shit because you're stupid.

5 Coaches since Jay Wright took over at Villanova in 2001.....5. Not a single tournament win since 2000.....not 1. Jay Wright his first year brought in Randy Foye, Allen Ray, Jason Fraser, and Curtis Sumpter, those players went on to a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8, both teams losing to the eventual National Champion. I have followed your recruiting, it is decent, but nothing special. What is special is how you guys think you have a shot at Rawle Alkins. I mean that is downright adorable. Not delusional at all.

I don't know where the "insecure" comes in, but when a St. John's fan starts to call out Villanova as chokers, there is LITERALLY not even a word to describe what St. John's is if Villanova is in fact "chokers". Maybe "disaster"?

My friend who is a St. John's fan his whole life was texting me that Jay was classless last year after we completely annihilated you in Philly. He would probably call me "insecure" as well when I point out the facts about the HUGE gap between Villanova and St. John's basketball, because that is apparently being "insecure" and just not trying to open the eyes of somebody who thinks it is still 1986.

You guys are great though, have fun dreaming of a legitimate team in fantasyland, and we will continue to enjoy our legitimate team in the real world.

Bring up early exits again, we still won more tournament games last year during our early exit, than St. John's has in 15 years......15.

I am done here. I look forward to another subpar year of St. John's basketball! Actually, subpar might be an improvement. GO REDMEN!

You don't know where the insecure comes in? I said Jays seat was cold and you and the other Nova fans lost your f---ing shit.
NJRedman

Postby Westbrook#36 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:39 pm

NJRedman wrote:On a scale of 1 (Ice cold) to 10 (Red hot) how is each of our ten coaches seats? I don't know how each fan base feels about their coaches so I'm just guessing. How do you guys feel about your coach and the others in the league?

St. John's/Chris Mullin- 1 Freezing, Mullin is the golden boy who returned home. Everyone is still feeling good about the hire.

Villanova/Jay Wright- 3 Cold, Wright has his team as the class of the league but I'm sure fans aren't happy with the quick exits from the NCAA tourney.

Actually here's what you said, Jay's seat is hotter than Mullin's, sorry that's just not the case. You can't make a rational argument that Mullin has more job security than Jay, you just can't. JW has years of equity build upon running a very successful program. The last 2 early exits are disappointing, but being ranked in the top 10 for 95% of those 2 years surely isn't. Not to mention Jay's excellent recruiting. Mullin has to turn around a program, win some NCAA tourney games, and recruit at a high level. All things Jay has accomplished for a long time. Sorry Mullins seat is most definitely warmer than Wright's.

As always, it's hilarious when St. John's fans speak of others insecurity, oh the delusions of grandeur. BTW, we didn't show up in this thread until you and your fellow St. John's cronies started talking shit.
Westbrook#36

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:36 am

Westbrook#36 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:On a scale of 1 (Ice cold) to 10 (Red hot) how is each of our ten coaches seats? I don't know how each fan base feels about their coaches so I'm just guessing. How do you guys feel about your coach and the others in the league?

St. John's/Chris Mullin- 1 Freezing, Mullin is the golden boy who returned home. Everyone is still feeling good about the hire.

Villanova/Jay Wright- 3 Cold, Wright has his team as the class of the league but I'm sure fans aren't happy with the quick exits from the NCAA tourney.

Actually here's what you said, Jay's seat is hotter than Mullin's, sorry that's just not the case. You can't make a rational argument that Mullin has more job security than Jay, you just can't. JW has years of equity build upon running a very successful program. The last 2 early exits are disappointing, but being ranked in the top 10 for 95% of those 2 years surely isn't. Not to mention Jay's excellent recruiting. Mullin has to turn around a program, win some NCAA tourney games, and recruit at a high level. All things Jay has accomplished for a long time. Sorry Mullins seat is most definitely warmer than Wright's.

As always, it's hilarious when St. John's fans speak of others insecurity, oh the delusions of grandeur. BTW, we didn't show up in this thread until you and your fellow St. John's cronies started talking shit.

Out of curiosity let's say both you have two coaches one is starting brand new, zero expectations for year one and then doesn't do much better year two. One has been a great coach but the past 5 years he's gone to four tournaments and hasn't done anything, despite three of those years having great seeding. Then the great coach misses two tournament (hypothetical) who's on the hot seat? The great coach shows a trend of going down (see Rick Barnes, Ben howland) and thus could get fired. whereas if the first coach doesn't do anything in his first two years he's not going anywhere, they'll let him at least do 4yrs of the usual 5yr contract. I love Jay, I think he's a great coach and a fantastic regular season coach. But you are reading too much into this ranking system instead of viewing it what it is. If in two years Jay chokes with two more early exits he'll be known as a choke and get talked to, if in two years he doesn't hit the postseason he'll likely get a really stern talking to or be fired. If in two years Mullin has eithe of those results he'll have a job but certainly won't be fired.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Westbrook#36 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:09 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:

Out of curiosity let's say both you have two coaches one is starting brand new, zero expectations for year one and then doesn't do much better year two. One has been a great coach but the past 5 years he's gone to four tournaments and hasn't done anything, despite three of those years having great seeding. Then the great coach misses two tournament (hypothetical) who's on the hot seat? The great coach shows a trend of going down (see Rick Barnes, Ben howland) and thus could get fired. whereas if the first coach doesn't do anything in his first two years he's not going anywhere, they'll let him at least do 4yrs of the usual 5yr contract. I love Jay, I think he's a great coach and a fantastic regular season coach. But you are reading too much into this ranking system instead of viewing it what it is. If in two years Jay chokes with two more early exits he'll be known as a choke and get talked to, if in two years he doesn't hit the postseason he'll likely get a really stern talking to or be fired. If in two years Mullin has eithe of those results he'll have a job but certainly won't be fired.

So round up the torches and pitch forks, I guess Jay's on the hot seat. :roll: [Just to be clear, I know your not saying Jay is on a hot seat, I'm not even rolling eyes, I'm being 100% snarky here. Just so another semi-flame war doesn't erupt.]

Look every coach has pressure, lots of it, unless you're Coach K. Barring like 3 consecutive years he had in 11-12, or like a 5 year span of making the tourney only once this isn't even a concern. Jay would have to repeat the last 2 years of top 10 and early exits before the Nova admin would even begin to consider firing him and even then it probably wouldn't even consider seriously . That's not even taking into consideration of making a deep tourney run this year or next, if that happens it's his job pretty much as long as he wants. It's almost to that point now, unless everything goes to hell in a hand basket.

Now for some right back at you stuff: what if Mullin doesn't turn the Johnny's around right away, what if he struggles just to get them to .500 for 3 or 4 season and makes no tourney appearances. What if he doesn't bag enough NYC recruits? How long is the chosen one safe for? I love how people cherry pick worse case scenarios for Jay to be on a hot seat, but completely give golden boy a pass.
Last edited by Westbrook#36 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Westbrook#36

Postby Xudash » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:26 pm

If we're all entitled to an opinion on this, from my point of view, with the question being "how hot are our coaches seats?" my first question back would be to ask if it were okay to simply exclude any coach who shouldn't be ranked in this way for the simple fact that it would be insulting to do so.

Jay Wright's seat is at a perfect temperature, probably made of premium leather, and designed with perfect ergonomic balance. It goes without saying that his seat isn't hot, warm, lukewarm or mildly itchy.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Jay Wright is about 5 years of missing the NCAA from being on the hot seat.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Xudash wrote:If we're all entitled to an opinion on this, from my point of view, with the question being "how hot are our coaches seats?" my first question back would be to ask if it were okay to simply exclude any coach who shouldn't be ranked in this way for the simple fact that it would be insulting to do so.

Jay Wright's seat is at a perfect temperature, probably made of premium leather, and designed with perfect ergonomic balance. It goes without saying that his seat isn't hot, warm, lukewarm or mildly itchy.

Much better job of articulating the point so succinctly Xudash.

I think if you are looking at the coaches in conf the following programs are not looking at anything other than making sure their current coach has what they need to be successful, and that they can keep them around:

G'town
XU
Butler
CU
Nova
SJU
Prov.
Marq.

I think SHU (lack of post season success / consistent bottom half BE team) and DePaul (lack of any success whatsoever) are the only two programs that should be keeping an eye outside the program, just to be prepared if a change is warranted. So the title of this thread should have been: "How hot is Willard's seat?"
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:So round up the torches and pitch forks, I guess Jay's on the hot seat. :roll: [Just to be clear, I know your not saying Jay is on a hot seat, I'm not even rolling eyes, I'm being 100% snarky here. Just so another semi-flame war doesn't erupt.]

Look every coach has pressure, lots of it, unless you're Coach K. Barring like 3 consecutive years he had in 11-12, or like a 5 year span of making the tourney only once this isn't even a concern. Jay would have to repeat the last 2 years of top 10 and early exits before the Nova admin would even begin to consider firing him and even then it probably wouldn't even consider seriously . That's not even taking into consideration of making a deep tourney run this year or next, if that happens it's his job pretty much as long as he wants. It's almost to that point now, unless everything goes to hell in a hand basket.

Now for some right back at you stuff: what if Mullin doesn't turn the Johnny's around right away, what if he struggles just to get them to .500 for 3 or 4 season and makes no tourney appearances. What if he doesn't bag enough NYC recruits? How long is the chosen one safe for? I love how people cherry pick worse case scenarios for Jay to be on a hot seat, but completely give golden boy a pass.

I completely agree, I guess then it comes down to a matter of opinion, to me someone who's completely fresh has 100% job security, at least for one season more than likely two, probably three or four. I agree if Mullin were to do great this year but then suck three more he'll likely be fired before Jay. See it's your second sentence in that paragraph though that is my point. Jay isn't going anywhere and NJredman said as such. To me a 2 (which is where I'd have him) is the AD in Jay's performance review saying "listen man we love you, you had a great year. But what's the deal? Why has it been 5 early exits now? Obviously we have to improve." That's a two, it's he's not going anywhere but let's get some fire under his a$$ again and that is probably what was said during Jay's performance review.

Obviously if Mullin doesn't turn the Johnny's around after 4 seasons he's on the hot seat (though Norm Roberts proves it'll probably be 6years). Mullin being untested can go from being the top dog to bottom quickly he has a wider range to fall. Jay is set, he's not going anywhere we both know that but he'll never have 100% security unless he turns you guys into Duke, and that's true for JT3, and so on and so forth. To me in the next few years Mullin can be a 1-10 range but Jay's range is between 1-4 (the former being continued results like this except with tournament performance the later being a few more 2012 seasons and you guys slipping) but even if you guys sucked the next few years he'll still be Jay and will have a leg to stand on for a claim to his job.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board