Zagoria: Lavin's future at St. John's in doubt

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Zagoria: Lavin's future at St. John's in doubt

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:44 pm

If Lavin is indeed leaving St. Johns, does that make Hurley the front-runner? Wouldn't it make sense for them to do something by the weekend, since that's when he's going to Chicago to visit with DePaul?
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Steve Lavin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Not sure what you guys are hearing, but it seems like Lavin is coming back and they are simply hammering out the details of the contract. He's visiting a recruit. You don't visit a recruit if you will be fired. He also just told people he will be back.

I understand what the Lavin defenders are saying how they want to keep him because he had 3/4 20+ win seasons and 2 NCAA tourneys (which has become so rare here). But what he does not pass is the eye test. He is absolutely atrocious in the postseason here. When he was at UCLA he was successful in postseasons because he had McDonald's AA's flocking there just because it was UCLA. So they covered up his deficiencies. Now that he's at SJU he recruited pretty good kids but they were not world beaters and were constantly outclassed by elite programs. So on paper, Lavin looks successful here. But the eye test will show you the team has no real plan with the basketball. It's literally mostly iso ball, a screen here, a pick there, and that's it. Basically street ball. We have no set plays. We cannot run the half court offense. We do not have lights out shooters every other team seems to find. We NEVER have a scoring big man (a la Stainbrook). We are just athletic. A few games we get red hot shooting but we get cold much more often. That is not winning basketball. We need some lights out shooters, some scoring big men, a PG who can assist and be a leader (Arc), and a bench with some big men ready to give solid minutes as well as some legit shooters. Lavin teams do not have these.

I don't understand why people think we wouldn't be able to recruit if Lavin is fired. Lavin can't even recruit well now…he's looking at 2 and 3 star guys. The 4 and 5 star guys are not believing in him anymore and getting taken by UK, Baylor, Kansas, etc. Another coach could get solid 3 star guys and turn them into 4 stars. Another coach could have us using a real offensive game plan with designed plays and players who are very skilled in one aspect of their game instead of generally decent players decent but not skilled at anything. I just get the feeling that Lavin could have literally any recruits he wants and he would still not make the Sweet 16 or better. Or even remain ranked all year. It takes a lot to seriously think that. Time to pull the plug on Lavin. He's more qualified as a psychologist and media personality than as head basketball coach of SJU.
Steve Lavin

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:33 pm

Steve Lavin wrote: He's more qualified as a psychologist and media personality than as head basketball coach of SJU.

I hope you sign up as his first client.
Red Rooster

Postby Hoyas » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Just saw this tweet:
GoodmanESPN Jeff Goodman
Been told that Steve Lavin meeting with St. John's today. We will see if a decision is made. Lots of misinformation out there.

Hopefully 1 way or another, we'll know the final decision today.
Hoyas

Postby Chalmers0 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Hoyas wrote:Just saw this tweet:
GoodmanESPN Jeff Goodman
Been told that Steve Lavin meeting with St. John's today. We will see if a decision is made. Lots of misinformation out there.

Hopefully 1 way or another, we'll know the final decision today.

Agreed, regardless of rumors such as the Mark Jackson one, I've still got to assume Hurley is the first choice and they will need to move somewhat quickly to get him
Chalmers0

Postby Hoyas » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Just thinking if they were going to make a move and wanted to bury it, now would pretty much be the absolute best time to do it, Friday afternoon before the weekends games.
Hoyas

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:18 pm

This has been so back and forth I am afraid to post but again, been told by a good source that he is done. Don't know what to believe but right now doesn't look like Lavin will be back.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby Chalmers0 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Just announced by the school. Lavin/St. John's "mutually" agree to part ways.
Chalmers0

Postby Hoyas » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Chalmers0 wrote:Just announced by the school. Lavin/St. John's "mutually" agree to part ways.

Given how long it was taking, not a surprise at all. I thought the longer it was taking the more likely he would be out.
Hoyas

Postby Hoyas » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:35 pm

GoodmanESPN Jeff Goodman
Look for Dan Hurley to be in the mix at St. John's, source told ESPN.
Hoyas

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board