Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:57 pm

I think first off, one thing that is amazing to me is just how bad the Big East TV deal was prior to this year.

I think one thing that will be interesting to watch will be do these high number of FS1 games keep up? Once again, if FS1 gets NBA or Big Ten, the number will likely drop to whatever is contractually required. Even if they don't get NBA or Big Ten- wouldn't be shocked to see dog games moved to FS2 or FSN.

Now, his numbers are inflated some big time .

Butler for instance, he says had 25 nationally broadcast games.

Well.....
FS1 17
FS2 3
FSN 2
CBSSN 2
ESPN 3
BTN 1
CBS 1
none 2

So he's counting FS1, ESPN, CBS- that comes up to 21 games. To get to 25 games, that would be 4 of FS2, FSN, CBSSN, or BTN. I'm sorry, but if he's counting FS2 as national, that's a joke. That's not national at all. He's counting for sure either FSN or FS2 as national. To me, 21 is the real number of national games for Butler. (looked later at Seton Hall, he said 19. 19 includes 3 FS2 games). So as a conference, of 232 national broadcasts, 14 were FS2 games. 218 is the real number.

Also looking at Butler... He says the average for BE Only games is 206,200. Well, not really. Looking at his numbers- He's got the Georgetown/Butler game at 1.083 mil viewers. The next best game is 164k. 14 other games(also- he's got the BET game with Seton Hall listed 2x). The actual average for BE only games.... is right at 159,000. Kind of tough to take his numbers seriously at all when he makes such huge errors.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Nice review of America's Pregame with Mike Hill. Watched it a few times already, pretty good show and it uses all of Fox's regional sports network resources.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/americas-pregame-a-bright-spot-in-fs1s-daily-lineup.html?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hootsuite
Jet915

Postby Chalmers0 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:27 pm

Crowd Goes Wild has been cancelled.

Wonder what they will do with some of the people from it. I believe the contract with Regis is up soon. Michael Kosta has made it clear on Twitter that his contract has been terminated. I've got to think Katie Nolan and Georgie Thompson (as well as maybe Trevor Pryce) made enough of an impression that they can find a role for them somewhere within the network.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/fox-spo ... -wild.html
Chalmers0

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon May 12, 2014 12:21 pm

"Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer have signed new television and media rights partnerships with ESPN, FOX Sports and Univision Deportes, reaching eight-year agreements with the networks to televise MLS and U.S. Soccer matches in the United States through the end of 2022."
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm

solid get for FS1. not a huge property but definitely a niche following.

Will be very interesting to see when the NBA does their deal. That is really the next big fish that is out there. I think for FS1 best case scenario is they pick up the NBA first, and that makes the Big Ten more comfortable and they get some Big Ten as well. I think we could be looking at FS1 getting either both of them or neither of them.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:16 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:"Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer have signed new television and media rights partnerships with ESPN, FOX Sports and Univision Deportes, reaching eight-year agreements with the networks to televise MLS and U.S. Soccer matches in the United States through the end of 2022."

Not bad, any amount of viewers helps plus it gives Fox something to show between March and October other than MLB, UFC and Nascar. Good news is this doesn't effect Big East scheduling.
Jet915

Postby Chalmers0 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:23 am

stever20 wrote:solid get for FS1. not a huge property but definitely a niche following.

Will be very interesting to see when the NBA does their deal. That is really the next big fish that is out there. I think for FS1 best case scenario is they pick up the NBA first, and that makes the Big Ten more comfortable and they get some Big Ten as well. I think we could be looking at FS1 getting either both of them or neither of them.

I would love to sit in on those negotiations. FS1 knows they need at minimum 1, maybe both of those to be successful due to the lack of other contracts coming up for renewal in the near future and ESPN also knows this. Murdoch/Fox has shown they aren't afraid to throw money around either. Those contracts are going to get HUGE. Just have to hope that Fox can land at least one of them.
Chalmers0

Postby stever20 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:38 am

think reading something after the olympics were awarded to NBC until 2032- they were saying of course the NBA is in a great position- being the only major pro property up for bidding until 2020. They thought that ESPN and Turner would be renewed- but they would have an additional package available(much like what the NFL has done with CBS). Could be very interesting- would think Fox would have a great shot of course- but then again, if it's network- could see CBS wanting to get in there as well and back in the NBA- though CBS is packed with stuff for a 4 week stretch end of March early April.
stever20

Postby murphy » Mon May 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Chalmers0 wrote:
stever20 wrote:solid get for FS1. not a huge property but definitely a niche following.

I would love to sit in on those negotiations. FS1 knows they need at minimum 1, maybe both of those to be successful due to the lack of other contracts coming up for renewal in the near future and ESPN also knows this. Murdoch/Fox has shown they aren't afraid to throw money around either. Those contracts are going to get HUGE. Just have to hope that Fox can land at least one of them.

yeh i heard that Murdoch has decided to bring Hannity and Megan Kelly as guest color analysts for the FS1 games. These two expecially like the Blue Jays for some reason.
murphy

Postby flyerlax06 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:01 am

Tim Brando joins Fox Sports and Fox Sports 1 to do college football and Big East basketball:

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/binary/2014/06/25/ncTim_Brando_Joins_FOX_Sports_(3)1403708118377.pdf

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board