Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby kayako » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:31 am

ArmyVet wrote:Big 12 adds four schools is official. A little on the timing:

It's also possible the Big 12 could make a second realignment push in the coming years, according to sources.

This severely hampers AAC and MWC's ability to backfill for eternity.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:43 am

kayako wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:Big 12 adds four schools is official. A little on the timing:

It's also possible the Big 12 could make a second realignment push in the coming years, according to sources.

This severely hampers AAC and MWC's ability to backfill for eternity.

I hadn't considered that and it is a great point.
ArmyVet

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:05 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Burrito wrote:It's been a rough couple of years for the AAC, losing UConn, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati. They still have Memphis for basketball.

Unless they can somehow poach from the mwc they are now cusa. Bigxii is now the new American with good basketball.

"Good" might be underselling their basketball a bit. They will still be the best basketball league in the country.

Also, I don't follow college football closely, but I know that Baylor, TCU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, BYU, West Virginia and Oklahoma State are all legit football programs. People seem to be really jumping the gun on the Big XII's demise.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Sadshockerfan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Sigh, we would kill to be in BE.

Anywho, Shocker fans know that isn’t going to happen.
Sadshockerfan

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:50 pm

You have to wonder if Gonzaga is unhappy remaining in the WCC with BYU leaving?
ArmyVet

Postby admin » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:54 pm

NH63 wrote:Saint Louis fan here just observing from afar. While SLU fans would love to be the next addition to the Big East, I don't think any are expecting that call to come any time soon. It seems as though there may be some consideration that SLU isn't as committed to basketball as some Big East fans might want for a new addition to the league. I would just note that SLU's basketball budget (as of most recent public data in 2019) is bigger than VCU, Xavier, Depaul and Butler. The financial investment in the program has increased substantially in the past decade, largely driven by the program's biggest booster, Richard Chaifetz. If SLU were to ever join the Big East, I don't think it would have difficulty fitting in from a financial, facilities, or other expenditure perspective. And on a more personal note, I really miss the games against Marquette, DePaul and Xavier.

Regardless, with all of the football-dominated realignment going on I can guarantee that SLU and Atlantic 10 fans more broadly will be rooting for the Big East harder than ever, as basketball-only programs continue to dig in to confirm their relevance in the broader NCAA landscape.

I am generally opposed to the Big East expanding for a variety of reasons, however, if one school were to be added my money would be on SLU. Not sure if/when it will happen, but you have a chance.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jet915 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 pm

Wow, Kansas AD speaking the truth publicly:

Jesse Newell
@jessenewell
KU AD Travis Goff on $ implications: "We’re less secure now than we were eight weeks ago, and maybe significantly financially less secure. The facts are there’s most likely a scenario where when we do a new deal with a makeup where we likely can’t stay at the level we’re at
Jet915

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:55 am

On September 10, 2021, Jet915 wrote:
Wow, Kansas AD speaking the truth publicly:

KU AD Travis Goff on $ implications: "We’re less secure now than we were eight weeks ago, and maybe significantly financially less secure. The facts are there’s most likely a scenario where when we do a new deal with a makeup where we likely can’t stay at the level we’re at".

It’s good (and rare) for a college athletic director to speak the truth publicly.

Big 12 officially invites BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF – Nick Bromberg, Yahoo! – September 10, 2021

AAC claims it's a 'power conference' because Cincinnati, Houston and UCF are heading to the Big 12 – Nick Bromberg, Yahoo! – September 10, 2021

The AAC is reeling after losing Cincinnati, Houston and UCF to the Big 12, and recovering won't be easy – Gary Parrish, CBS Sports – September 10, 2021

What is the impact of the Big 12 moves on college basketball – ESPN Staff - September 10, 2021

======================================================================================================================================
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:53 am

Jet915 wrote:Wow, Kansas AD speaking the truth publicly:

Jesse Newell
@jessenewell
KU AD Travis Goff on $ implications: "We’re less secure now than we were eight weeks ago, and maybe significantly financially less secure. The facts are there’s most likely a scenario where when we do a new deal with a makeup where we likely can’t stay at the level we’re at

Financially speaking he is correct. They are less secure. However, basically none of their members are real candidates to join the big four leagues. If they were, it seems likely they would have been added already. Plus, there are very few options a level down to add to the big 12 now. I think things will stay pretty static for a while.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Burrito » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:51 am

The Big 12 is still a top tier basketball conference and a very good football conference. It just doesn't have any marquee football brands that drive the media rights deals. Once Texas and Oklahoma leave, that conference is just not as valuable.
And it's going to be pretty spread out geographically with teams in Florida, Ohio and Utah.
Last edited by Burrito on Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burrito

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board