OOC Performance. How will it effect Selection Sunday?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: OOC Performance. How will it effect Selection Sunday?

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:19 am

adoraz wrote:Our NET should be better than our RPI, but still will be pretty bad in comparison to previous years.

Right. Thinking a team like Xavier a prime example. 141 in RPI but with 3 close losses- and 4 comfortable wins.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoops22 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:11 am

The NET is still last years end of regular season. Guessing the NET for this year should be coming out maybe next Monday or the following Monday for the first time?[/quote]

My mistake, didn't realize that although I probably should have.
hoops22

Postby Husky_U » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:14 pm

Not that he has a great track record, but interesting to see today's bracketology from ESPN/Lunardi:

2 seed - Creighton
2 seed - UCONN
8 seed - St Johns
9 seed - Xavier

Next 4 Out - Seton Hall
Next 4 Out - Marquette

Better than I thought.
Husky_U

Postby kayako » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:26 pm

Angry Dan wrote:https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/eye-on-college-basketball/id268800565?i=1000587775926

The CBS Eye on College Basketball guys, Gary Parrish and Kyle Boone, have re assessed the Big East, UCONN is now the favorite based on the impressive PK Invite wins over three Ken Pom top 50 teams, Oregon, Bama and the ISU Cyclones.

UCONN is the hunted and my Bluejays are back to hunter status :lol:

I have to admit winning all three games by double digits is impressive. Hats off to the Huskies.

Creighton doesn't have the depth (for now) to beat 3 ranked opponents in 3 or 4 days, but I think they're still more likely to win the BE regular season. Lets see if UCONN can take a game from Creighton first.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:54 pm

kayako wrote:
Angry Dan wrote:https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/eye-on-college-basketball/id268800565?i=1000587775926

The CBS Eye on College Basketball guys, Gary Parrish and Kyle Boone, have re assessed the Big East, UCONN is now the favorite based on the impressive PK Invite wins over three Ken Pom top 50 teams, Oregon, Bama and the ISU Cyclones.

UCONN is the hunted and my Bluejays are back to hunter status :lol:

I have to admit winning all three games by double digits is impressive. Hats off to the Huskies.

Creighton doesn't have the depth (for now) to beat 3 ranked opponents in 3 or 4 days, but I think they're still more likely to win the BE regular season. Lets see if UCONN can take a game from Creighton first.

of course they never would have to come tourney time. If they finished top 2 in the RS for the BE, they'd get 7-10 seed on Thursday, then between a 3-6 seed in the SF on Friday. Maybe only 1 ranked team before the final.
stever20

Postby kayako » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:52 pm

stever20 wrote:
of course they never would have to come tourney time. If they finished top 2 in the RS for the BE, they'd get 7-10 seed on Thursday, then between a 3-6 seed in the SF on Friday. Maybe only 1 ranked team before the final.

I think it's close to impossible for Creighton to see 2 ranked teams before UCONN in your scenario. That'd require some crazy situation where 7th place or worse team being ranked somehow. I was not thinking of the BET in my original post, but I'm confident in coach Mac to have developed that Fred King guy by March to be able to rest Kalkbrenner.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:39 am

redmen9194 wrote:If you look at all the other leagues as a whole, we are doing just as good or better than everyone but the Big 10. I think we are looking at five right now but it’s really way to early.

We'll know when the NET comes out, but I think the BE is currently ahead of PAC12, and slightly behind the ACC. #4 is a very realistic target IMO. Not quite the doom and gloom situation if you ask me.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:54 am

kayako wrote:
redmen9194 wrote:If you look at all the other leagues as a whole, we are doing just as good or better than everyone but the Big 10. I think we are looking at five right now but it’s really way to early.

We'll know when the NET comes out, but I think the BE is currently ahead of PAC12, and slightly behind the ACC. #4 is a very realistic target IMO. Not quite the doom and gloom situation if you ask me.

To me the only thing is the individual teams. Have right now even 5 with 3 losses and Nova with 5 losses. That makes teams that go 10-10 to have at least 13 losses regular season. That gets really dicey when you get to selection time. And still have a lot of tough games left.
stever20

Postby Xuperman » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:41 pm

Well, that pretty much wraps up the OOC impact for the conference....no remaining games will move the needle much with the committee. The Creighton crash and burn today doesn't necessarily negate their early big wins, but it certainly kills any chance for the rampant preseason hype to come to fruition. Can they steam roll their way to 16-17 wins in the conference schedule? Sure, but a new reality was created today.

The Huskies separation is now undeniable and the Blue jay loss is fairly significant as it pertains to "at large" bid possibilities. The 2 additional chances for Top 10 wins available for the 2nd tier teams are kinda gone. I think it hurts Nova more than any other contender, as they desperately need high.profile opportunities to avoid the NIT.

The OOC was a disappointment IMO.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:51 pm

Have to agree, Creighton has 2 good losses and one pretty bad one (at home). That is not going to be a top tier team we thought they may be. That puts UConn at top with X, Creighton and Marquette behind. I would say we are looking at 4 to 5 bids but only 2 of those being top 6 seeds.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board