‘22-‘23 Non-Big East games of interest

The home for Big East hoops

Re: ‘22-‘23 Non-Big East games of interest

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:33 pm

Jet915 wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:
billyjack wrote:Marquette though basically assured us of a 5th bid in March.

Who are the 5? I am struggling a little bit coming up with that many teams I feel confident about.

Creighton, UConn, X, Marquette. SJU if they can beat Iowa State.

I wondered if St. John's was the 5th. Frankly, I just don't see it but maybe that's because it often feels like the Johnnies should be much better than they turn out to be.
ArmyVet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:17 pm

I think St John's is in fairly decent shape, even if they lose to Iowa St. No real great wins, but still at 10-1. In a position where they could go 10-10 in conference play and have 20 wins. This year, that might just be enough.... Even with not many great wins. The bubble is gonna be bad this year. I know, we say that every year.
stever20

Postby kayako » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:23 pm

stever20 wrote:
I still wonder what would have happened had he not passed away and been healthy. I think SLU is probably in the Big East right now.

Perhaps at Creighton or Butler's expense. We'll never know how things would've affected this conference.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:30 pm

stever20 wrote:The bubble is gonna be bad this year. I know, we say that every year.

The bubble is likely going to be full of teams with bad losses, just as it was last season. The combination of the portal + extra covid seasons has produced more bad losses than usual the past couple of seasons IMO.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:31 pm

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:
I still wonder what would have happened had he not passed away and been healthy. I think SLU is probably in the Big East right now.

Perhaps at Creighton or Butler's expense. We'll never know how things would've affected this conference.

completely agree. And I'd say especially if it had been at Creighton's expense- it really would have hurt the league- having McDermott playing that 1st year in the league was gigantic. Gave the "new" league legitimacy that was needed.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:31 pm

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:The bubble is gonna be bad this year. I know, we say that every year.

The bubble is likely going to be full of teams with bad losses, just as it was last season. The combination of the portal + extra covid seasons has produced more bad losses than usual the past couple of seasons IMO.

Yup, plus NIL playing an impact as well.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:58 pm

Jet915 wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:
billyjack wrote:Marquette though basically assured us of a 5th bid in March.

Who are the 5? I am struggling a little bit coming up with that many teams I feel confident about.

Creighton, UConn, X, Marquette. SJU if they can beat Iowa State.

Right, before Baylor, it was Creighton, X and UConn, then a lot of questions... Marquette allows us to point at Baylor and jusify getting bids for our balanced league...

The other overlooked result is Butler winning big over Kansas State... it dampens the recent mystique of the Big-12. (i know K-State was picked near the bottom, but Butler has questions too... so its just a solid workman-like win that is nice ro have in our back pocket).

So assuming CU, XU, UConn... then good chance for Marquette, solid situation for St John's, and if either weakens, we can imagine one of us in the second tier making a run... Villanova once Moore returns, or Thad Matta goung on a run, or the Friars pulling a Luwane Pipkins Part 2 situation.

So Marquette just opened up some new possibilities, while denting the Big 12 bigtime.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:27 pm

Baylor scores the final 8 points to defeat Gonzaga 64-63.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby kayako » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:17 am

Omaha1 wrote:Baylor scores the final 8 points to defeat Gonzaga 64-63.

Not quite panic situation yet, but things will get dicey if they lose @Bama.
supernova
kayako

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:04 am

kayako wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Baylor scores the final 8 points to defeat Gonzaga 64-63.

Not quite panic situation yet, but things will get dicey if they lose @Bama.

Zags have wins over Mich St, Kentucky and X, but losing at Alabama might make it tough to get a 1 or a 2 seed. Could open the door for the BE champ? I never root for Bama, but might have to make an exception.
Wizard of Westroads

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board