Seton Hall
60%
TCU
40%

Total votes : 15

Re: NCAAT - Seton Hall (8) vs TCU (9) - Friday 9:57pm

Postby SJUBBALL » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:05 am

Reports say Willard is gone.

He’s done a good job at the Hall, but man what a bad way to leave things.
SJUBBALL

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:07 am

Wow, it seems like the players probably knew thats why they played like dogshit.
Jet915

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:07 am

1-5 in ncaa tourney. I’m honestly surprised Maryland isn’t willing to spend for someone more successful.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:28 am

Omaha1 wrote:1-5 in ncaa tourney. I’m honestly surprised Maryland isn’t willing to spend for someone more successful.

They probably see a guy who made the tournament 5 out of 6 years (and easily would've been 6 of 7 without the covid cancellation) with a small fraction of their resources and think that at a "great basketball power" like Maryland, he'll be able to recruit better players and have more success in the tournament. Realistically, when hiring a coach I would expect his full body of regular season work to be a much better indicator of future success than a small sample of NCAA tournament games.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:32 am

Question for Hall fans: Was Holloway the leading candidate before he beat Kentucky?

Who was his biggest previous noncon win this year, LIU Brooklyn? Hall fans would be familiar with him, but his resume looks underwhelming to an outsider.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:32 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Question for Hall fans: Was Holloway the leading candidate before he beat Kentucky?

Who was his biggest previous noncon win this year, LIU Brooklyn? Hall fans would be familiar with him, but his resume looks underwhelming to an outsider.

Can't speak to the administration, but he was the fan favorite for sure. He was Willard's right hand man and top recruiter from his time at Iona until he got the St. Peter's gig. He was widely considered to be Seton Hall's coach in waiting for when the time of Willard's departure came. He's a fan favorite from his playing days and while him leaving SHU for St. Peter's was disappointing, it was also widely viewed as his place to get some head coaching experience before coming home. Also, I can't stress enough just how difficult of a job St. Peter's is. Their athletic department has pretty much nil resources. It's a very difficult place to win and while his results there may not look overly impressive to an outsider, people in the NY Metro area consider his success level there to be a minor miracle.

Also, should Holloway get the Seton Hall job, expectation is that the next St. Peter's head coach will be current top SHU assistant Grant Billmeier.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:37 am

Hall2012 wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:Question for Hall fans: Was Holloway the leading candidate before he beat Kentucky?

Can't speak to the administration, but he was the fan favorite for sure. He was Willard's right hand man and top recruiter from his time at Iona until he got the St. Peter's gig. He was widely considered to be Seton Hall's coach in waiting for when the time of Willard's departure came. He's a fan favorite from his playing days and while him leaving SHU for St. Peter's was disappointing, it was also widely viewed as his place to get some head coaching experience before coming home. Also, I can't stress enough just how difficult of a job St. Peter's is. Their athletic department has pretty much nil resources. It's a very difficult place to win and while his results there may not look overly impressive to an outsider, people in the NY Metro area consider his success level there to be a minor miracle.

Also, should Holloway get the Seton Hall job, expectation is that the next St. Peter's head coach will be current top SHU assistant Grant Billmeier.

Good info, thanks! The Hall is my favorite of the "eastern" teams.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby billyjack » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:40 am

Great read Hall2012, thanks.

Yeah, I remember when the Peacocks' previous coach left (John Dunne), it was to go to Marist of all places. Talk was that Dunne was a genius coach but that no one can win at St Peter's.

Also, looks like in '20 Holloway had SP on track for an NCAA bid, but Covid got in the way.

I love that quote that Hall2012 pointed out from Holloway too. Perfect perspective and attitude.
Providence
billyjack

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board