(3) Saturday Big East Games 1/8/22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Saturday Big East Games 1/8/22

Postby stever20 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:39 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Whew. If UConn shoots like that off an 18 day layoff, I don't want to see them in rythm.

Also, SHU really should've fouled Sanogo when he caught that ball inside the arc. I can't believe they took that chance the way UConn was shooting 3s today.

Do you think the coaches were wanting Aiken to miss that 2nd free throw? announcers seemed to think maybe that was the case.

I doubt it. It turns the final shot into a prayer instead of a set play, but do you really want to risk getting beat on the off chance it goes in? I'd rather let them set the play with a worst case scenario of 2OT.

Yeah, it seemed the time to me was a bit much to do that(1.7 seconds) but the announcers were saying they were talking to Aiken. I could have seen it especially if like only 1.2 seconds to go or something like that.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:44 pm

stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Do you think the coaches were wanting Aiken to miss that 2nd free throw? announcers seemed to think maybe that was the case.

I doubt it. It turns the final shot into a prayer instead of a set play, but do you really want to risk getting beat on the off chance it goes in? I'd rather let them set the play with a worst case scenario of 2OT.

Yeah, it seemed the time to me was a bit much to do that(1.7 seconds) but the announcers were saying they were talking to Aiken. I could have seen it especially if like only 1.2 seconds to go or something like that.

Personally, I don't like the intentional miss with a 2pt lead unless there's not enough time to grab a rebound and get a shot off at all...so yeah maybe 1.2 is about the max I'd even consider it at. I just don't like the idea of risking losing on a miracle shot if it's not necessary.

Up 1 is a different story since a good 2pt look is unlikely and you lose on a 3 regardless of if you make the free throw or not.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:48 pm

I'll also add - if today's Kadary Richmond is here to stay, SHU's ceiling rises to a new level. The Hall would've gotten their doors blown off without him and UConn will not lose a lot of games shooting the way they did today. The Pirates simply couldn't stop UConn today and there was a maybe 10 minute stretch where UConn couldn't figure out what to do with Richmond besides foul him.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:51 pm

There were 44 fouls called in 40 minutes and 52 (yes 52) FT’s awarded in the Nova-DePaul game today. Early in the 2nd H Nova had 5 players with 3 fouls. This is the BE. Let them play for God’s sake. WTF.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:55 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:There were 44 fouls called in 40 minutes and 52 (yes 52) FT’s awarded in the Nova-DePaul game today. Early in the 2nd H Nova had 5 players with 3 fouls. This is the BE. Let them play for God’s sake. WTF.

Ouch. Sounds like you guys got the free throw shooting contest. But we got the no autopsy no foul game you predicted.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:48 pm

Really nice win Hall12. Not ashamed to say that I started recording the Nova game and stuck with the Hall-UConn game until decided. Hated when they gave updates during the OT :lol:

Also no apologies in admitting that I root hard for whomever is playing UConn. Curious if others on here do likewise. I just don’t want their fans (no offense to you Husky, you are a good fan) puffing out their chests and acting like they own the place. Would like them to experience the BE grind whenever possible. I respect their program and am glad they are back in the fold. They make things more interesting. But they don’t need to hang any BE banners anytime soon.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby kayako » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Looking at the stats, it's kinda hard to believe UCONN lost this game.
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:07 pm

Long term, I think a successful UConn is good for the Big East, but short term I want to see them humbled a bit - especially by the schools that were largely buried in the old Big East. A lot of UConn fans still seem to look down their noses at PC and SHU in particular, so I've enjoyed seeing them get the message that those schools have stepped up lately and can play with them now (even if a good portion of their fan base will still struggle to accept it).
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Xudash » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:36 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Really nice win Hall12. Not ashamed to say that I started recording the Nova game and stuck with the Hall-UConn game until decided. Hated when they gave updates during the OT :lol:

Also no apologies in admitting that I root hard for whomever is playing UConn. Curious if others on here do likewise. I just don’t want their fans (no offense to you Husky, you are a good fan) puffing out their chests and acting like they own the place. Would like them to experience the BE grind whenever possible. I respect their program and am glad they are back in the fold. They make things more interesting. But they don’t need to hang any BE banners anytime soon.

Crazy, isn’t it? Ecstatic that they are in the Big East. Want them to do well to maintain their brand. But you are absolutely right: UCONN hanging bunches of banners would not be a good thing - for most here.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:29 am

As someone who has remained loyal to the Big East basketball brand even while UConn played in the AAC... I must say that I respect the programs in this league a ton.

With that said - I agree that most Connecticut fans have an inflated ego based on past successes which don't currently reflect the reality of the UConn program. Often in "The-Boneyard" you see a lot of fans who belittle Providence and in some instances Seton Hall and to a lesser extent all the private basketball schools of the league. That's why I can't spend to much time there as such irrational behavior tires me out. Its almost as if the fan-base is stuck in time (in 2014) not realizing that over the past 8 years the college basketball landscape has changed dramatically.

This is why every time UConn loses to a B.E program there is a meltdown at the-Boneyard... It's a humbling experience for the fans for sure. I think most had in their minds that they were going to own the Big East from the start.

I do think that long term UConn can be successful in the Big East. Even return to National Championship form. But its going to take a while and a lot of effort. Actually, I think all the teams in this league can win big with the right pieces. The league definitely gives you a chance for a really high-ceiling on any given year.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board