Big East Standings Prediction thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Standings Prediction thread

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:22 am

Or the team who ends up on the right side of the most covid-19 forfeits. If there's a silver lining to the forfeit policy, it's that we could end up with a particularly wild Big East tournament with some bizarre seeds including NCAA Tournament locks playing on Wednesday.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xuperman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:13 am

There's enough in the books now to make adjustments in league predictions. However it has become even more unpredictable than prior to. Fri/Sat games were telling.

X, VU, PC, SHU, UConn seem to be the top contenders, with no team making any clear separation. CU, SJU and a surprising MU squad could easily nuke the whole damn thing!!

Butler is easily the best of the bottom. I truly wonder if DU or GU can notch 6 wins between them.

X
SHU
PC
UConn
VU

SJU
CU
MU

Maybe next year.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:46 am

I agree with your groups Xuperman. I'd change the order within them to this point, but as you said - nobody's separated so it's all very fluid. Everyone has a league loss already. Is this the earliest we've had that happen?

Also interested to see if Marquette has turned a corner with those last 2 games. They were both very impressive. Ultimately I think Marquette and Creighton will be major thorns in the side of that top group, but I'm not sure if these 2 young teams will have the consistency to join them.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:53 am

Hall2012 wrote:I agree with your groups Xuperman. I'd change the order within them to this point, but as you said - nobody's separated so it's all very fluid. Everyone has a league loss already. Is this the earliest we've had that happen?

Also interested to see if Marquette has turned a corner with those last 2 games. They were both very impressive. Ultimately I think Marquette and Creighton will be major thorns in the side of that top group, but I'm not sure if these 2 young teams will have the consistency to join them.

Looks like it's about as early as 2015 was- looking at that year that was NYE challenge so 5 teams lost that day. Then 3 others lost on 1/3. Only Seton Hall(who lost on 1/7) and DePaul(1/10) were left undefeated after that 1st week. This year to me even sooner % wise in the year.

I'd agree with the groups though not the ordering within the groups. And still not sure if St John's should be in the 2nd group or 3rd group(and same goes with Butler). I could see that 2nd group being 4 deep, but then again, I could see it being 2 deep.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:29 am

My eyes and head see the same 3 groupings:

1). PC-X-SHU-UConn-Nova (tourney teams)
2). MU-CU-SJU (very close to tourney teams)
3). Butler-DePaul-G'town (not tourney teams at this point)

The only reason that I have MU and CU a step below is for one reason: age. I think it will be asking a LOT for young kids to get up night after night in a "man's league." You look at the teams in Tier 1 and there is a common thread--very old, very physically mature teams top to bottom. MU and CU are very talented, as is SJU, but can they physically and mentally handle what most of them haven't experienced as college players yet? It remains to be seen. It's the grind of a round robin schedule where there are very few, if any, cupcakes. Not getting worn down and keeping an even keel when there are natural valleys if often better handled if you've been through the battles before.

In terms of ranking the top tier I look to how the 5 have done so far head-to-head because that, more than anything else, will probably determine how it ultimately shakes out. It's a net 2 game effect in the standings whenever these top 5 meet. So I would group the top as follows:

1. PC (2-0)
1a. Nova (2-0)
3. SHU (1-2)*
4. X (0-1)
5. UConn (0-2)

It's hard to fault X at this point as their lone game vs. the other top team was on the road at a place that hasn't been kind to them historically. PC and Nova are in slightly better shape as they both won a game on the road. Watching this all play out is going to be a lot of fun.

* fixed
Last edited by GumbyDamnit! on Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:My eyes and head see the 3 groupings:

1). PC-X-SHU-UConn-Nova (tourney teams)
2). MU-CU-SJU (very close to tourney teams)
3). Butler-DePaul-G'town (not tourney teams at this point)

The only reason that I have MU and CU a step below is for one reason: age. I think it will be asking a LOT for young kids to get up night after night in a "man's league." You look at the teams in Tier 1 and there is a common thread--very old, very physically mature teams top to bottom. MU and CU are very talented, as is SJU, but can they physically and mentally handle what most of them haven't experienced as college players yet? It remains to be seen. It's the grind of a round robin schedule where there are very few, if any, cupcakes. Not getting worn down and keeping an even keel when there are natural valleys if often better handled if you've been through the battles before.

In terms of ranking the top tier I look to how the 5 have done so far head-to-head because that, more than anything else, will probably determine how it ultimately shakes out. It's a net 2 game effect in the standings whenever these top 5 meet. So I would group the top as follows:

1. PC (2-0)
1a. Nova (2-0)
3. SHU (2-1)
4. X (0-1)
5. UConn (0-2)

It's hard to fault X at this point as their lone game vs. the other top team was on the road at a place that hasn't been kind to them historically. PC and Nova are in slightly better shape as they both won a game on the road. Watching this all play out is going to be a lot of fun.

almost would have h2h plus any losses outside the 5 of them....
so PC adds a loss, Nova adds a loss. Also Seton Hall is 1-2 not 2-1.
So
1 PC 2-1
1a Nova 2-1
3 SH 1-2
4 X 0-1
5 UConn 0-2

St John's to me I don't think is that close to the tourney. I mean we kind of saw it this weekend what was thought of them when they were the "auto" bid team and yet were seeded as 13 seed. They didn't do enough OOC to put themselves in that 2nd group IMO. Also 18 games in 53 days for them is going to be brutal.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:46 am

SHU is 1-2 in that top 5 group, but my thinking is the same as Gumby's to this point
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Xuperman » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:50 am

Everyone, here, pretty much, made accurate early predictions. Even picking up on the possibility of MU and CU as monkey wrench throwers. Let's focus on those 2 teams.

1st off, Marquette is officially the most entertaining team to watch....maybe in the entire country. JUSTIN LEWIS! I made several high accolades about him pre season (young MJ comparison), and he has surpassed even those. He will get serious BE POY consideration. Here's the thing, Shaka has ALREADY done what's needed to finish top 3. The remaining schedule sets up for a likely 13 BE wins.

On to the curious case of the Creighton Blue Jays. Yes, last night was painfully brutal and one could think the wheels are coming off, But...STOP THE PRESS! Lil' ol' Creighton has a remaining schedule that may produce results on par with MU. Look it, the next FOUR opponents are cellar dwellers. Now BU is no push over, but you get them in Omaha.....+ there's one more bottom feeder in SJU on the road. The scheduling Gods smiled, and 3 of the 4 heavy hitters are at the CHI, so 7 more wins are not out of the question. Can you say 12 wins?

None of this is far fetched, and I'll put on my troll hat and say Nova could stubble down the stretch especially if injury is a factor. Realistically though, BET seeding looks to be-

PC, VU, MU sharing the 1-3 slots....GU, DU, BU, STJ sharing the bottom 4. The fun is in middle! FOUR juicy teams fighting for 2 spots avoiding the Wednesday shame......what a Conference!!!
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby MackNova » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:42 pm

Currently enjoying Providence playing 1 game in 10 days when they should have 3 games to make up.
MackNova

Postby Django » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:51 pm

MackNova wrote:Currently enjoying Providence playing 1 game in 10 days when they should have 3 games to make up.

Coming from a Nova fan that’s rich.
Django

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board