Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion.

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:51 am

There's been talk that Mark Turgeon will leave Maryland, and Indiana may be his landing place.

Someone also linked him with Marquette. I think this would be a bad choice. Results at Maryland were underwhelming, and to me, his attitude and general whiny-ness is not what Marquette needs.

MU has some nice options, and of those, there is no bad choice, except Turgeon in my opinion.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby micgoG'town » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:05 pm

Maryland was going to be a 2 or 3 seed in last years dance. He's a good defensive minded coach.
micgoG'town

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:14 pm

billyjack wrote:There's been talk that Mark Turgeon will leave Maryland, and Indiana may be his landing place.

Someone also linked him with Marquette. I think this would be a bad choice. Results at Maryland were underwhelming, and to me, his attitude and general whiny-ness is not what Marquette needs.

MU has some nice options, and of those, there is no bad choice, except Turgeon in my opinion.

Who linked him there? There's no mention of him on any source I've seen
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Someone on the Scoutfriars board, but it may have been a mistake.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUPanther » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:47 pm

billyjack wrote:There's been talk that Mark Turgeon will leave Maryland, and Indiana may be his landing place.

I don't think he is a candidate at Marquette or Indiana.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:55 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I continue to be puzzled regarding the fascination about Dennis Gates. I get he was a former GA, I get he is from Chicago, and I get he was a long-time assistant for Leonard Hamilton. However, he has been a head coach for two years. He went 11-21 in his first season, and sprung to 19-8 this season. However, there just isn't enough body of work to warrant betting on him. Marquette cannot afford to gamble right now. It needs a proven, sustainable, winning head coach, preferably that did it at more than one school. If the opening was last year, Wardle would be a top-target due to his 23-11 record last season (but he went 11-15 this year, so he is not as strong a candidate). Conversely, a guy like Moser has finished first or second in the MVC for four straight years. He has made a Final Four, and at least a Sweet 16 this year. Some MU fans want to highlight Moser's failures at ISU, while ignoring his recent success; the same MU fans want to highlight Gates' season this year, but ignore his season last year.

Not sure if Gates ends up being hired at MU, or anywhere. He very well could be a successful P6 head coach. However, the same arguments as to why Wojo would be successful (proven assistant, strong recruiter, learned under HOF head coach, etc.) are being used to support Gates. Again, MU cannot afford to gamble on an uncertainty this time around. It needs a proven body of work and a proven program builder. There isn't enough evidence or resume to support Gates for that, IMO.

Gates was Co-Horizon League Coach of the Year in year one. He was hired in July after Dennis Felton was let go after 8 players left Cleveland State. Think about it July. Yes, CSU was 11-21 but 7-11 in league play. Most league wins in 5 years. One of those transfers is starting at Florida. Many of the Horizon League fan chatter had CSU going 1-17 in league play. So, you can see why 7-11 got him Co-HL coach of the year.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:54 pm

MUPanther wrote:

I don't think he is a candidate at Marquette or Indiana.

Ok thx Panther
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:02 am

Some people today saying there's smoke Shaka's the new coach. That'd be a little disappointing but willing to give him a shot. I thought Moser would breathe new life into the program, Shaka comes off as us taking back a girl that agreed to go out with us 7yrs ago, backed out but now wants us because it didn't work out with the southerner.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:17 am

Texas coach Shaka Smart has emerged as one of the leading candidates at Marquette, sources told
@Stadium

Looks like this has legs Goodman has good sources...
Jet915

Postby FenwayFriar » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:25 am

Jet915 wrote:Texas coach Shaka Smart has emerged as one of the leading candidates at Marquette, sources told
@Stadium

Looks like this has legs Goodman has good sources...

Rothstein with the same: "Sources: Marquette is closing in on hiring Texas' Shaka Smart as its next head basketball coach."
FenwayFriar

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board