UConn 2020 Discussion - The Thread By AAC Fan Sam Elliott...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn is horrible. Getting blown out in conference play

Postby herodotus » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:14 am

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:You do understand Wichita was good before t's a lot better record than SMU has that's for sure.

I mean, c'mon, your pattern here for years has been: you make these claims on topics i couldn't give 2 shits about... and i read it... and then a few minutes go by, and i think to myself, wait, that can't be possible cuz i thought SMU had some good years when i was in high school, and didn't they lose to Georgetown by 1 in 84 with some big white dork (John Koncak) in a game where they stalled in a 37-36 loss... and anyway, i then waste 10 minutes looking at this history, and i determine yes i'm correct with my memory... then i think, wait, Wichita has done shit in my 51 years in Earth and since i followed college hoops in 1977 except maybe one good year when i was in junior high school 1981 or 82 with Antoine Carr and the X-Man... and i look it up and i'm proven right, so why do you just f-cking make shit up and force me to waste 20 minutes of my workday on this?

TL/DR:
SMU historically was better than Wichita State thru the years til 2011 when Gregg Marshall arrived.

SMU MUSTANGS:
1993 - NCAA - 10 seed - lost first round.
1988 - NCAA - 7 seed - beat Notre Dame, lost to Duke.
1985 - NCAA - 9 seed - beat ODU, lost to Loyola Chicago with Alfredrick Hughes.
1984 - NCAA - 5 seed - beat Miami of Ohio, lost to Georgetown 37-36.

1967 - NCAA - Elite-8.
1966 - NCAA - Sweet-16.
1965 - NCAA - Sweet-16.

1957 - NCAA - Sweet-16.
1956 - NCAA - Final Four.
1955 - NCAA - Sweet-16.

WICHITA STATE WHEAT SHOCKERS:
2006 - NCAA - 7 seed - Sweet-16.
1988 - NCAA - 12 seed - lost first round.
1987 - NCAA - 11 seed - lost first round.
1985 - NCAA - 11 seed - lost first round.

1981 - NCAA - 6 seed - Elite-8.
1976 - NCAA - lost first round.

1965 - NCAA - made National Finals.
1964 - NCAA - Elite-8.

And peeling back another layer of Big East fandom... the Hoyas vs SMU game in 1984 was tense and agita inducing, and Big East fans all tuned in and it was freaking huge for Georgetown to jump this hurdle, and if you were a real Georgetown fan you'd remember this freakin game.... i mean, c'mon... and our pre-1985 Big East history that i've tried to teach you about, our psyche, our viewpoint, our growth, our companionship, building this conference, includes this SMU game... huge shit happened... the Big East wasn't an automatic beast.... it was built thru games like this one, and the John Pinone tip-in, and the Villanova win over Michigan, and the BC win over DePaul, etc... c'mon now!!!

When talking about AAC teams historically other than UConn, only three are worthy of discussion. Memphis, which is dirty as hell, but has won a lot of games since the 70s. Cincy, which other than a dry spell between Catlett, and Huggins, has been a consistently good program for 60 years, and Houston, who until recently had been dry as long as DePaul, and who fell harder than St. John's, but who from 1965, to 1984 was better than all four of the programs I just mentioned. 5 Final Fours, 2 Championship Games, and 13 trips to the NCAAs back when it was much harder to get in. None of the 4 I mentioned really come close, not even St. John's under Louie, which tells you how good that run was. Wichita has a long way to go to get into the conversation. Nice program though. A lot in common with our Creighton. Not as consistent, but has reached a bit higher.
herodotus

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:28 am

Is Tulane still talking smack? Rooting for uconn rest of the way except 1/18.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:57 am

kayako wrote:Is Tulane still talking smack? Rooting for uconn rest of the way except 1/18.

When was the last time UConn beat Tulane and jumped up 12 spots in the NET?
stever20

Postby marquette » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:20 pm

herodotus wrote:When talking about AAC teams historically other than UConn, only three are worthy of discussion. Memphis, which is dirty as hell, but has won a lot of games since the 70s. Cincy, which other than a dry spell between Catlett, and Huggins, has been a consistently good program for 60 years, and Houston, who until recently had been dry as long as DePaul, and who fell harder than St. John's, but who from 1965, to 1984 was better than all four of the programs I just mentioned. 5 Final Fours, 2 Championship Games, and 13 trips to the NCAAs back when it was much harder to get in. None of the 4 I mentioned really come close, not even St. John's under Louie, which tells you how good that run was. Wichita has a long way to go to get into the conversation. Nice program though. A lot in common with our Creighton. Not as consistent, but has reached a bit higher.

I am no AAC apologist by any stretch, but I think you have to add Temple to that list. 33 NCAA tournament appearances and 8 Elite 8's (yes, 3 of them were before 1960).
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Bogg » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:34 pm

stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:Is Tulane still talking smack? Rooting for uconn rest of the way except 1/18.

Isn't it the second year of NET's existence?
Bogg

Postby kayako » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:38 pm

stever20 wrote:

At home, too. Just a lot of daily random fluctuations below 50 or so, but I still think the NET doesn't reward tough schedules.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:30 pm

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:

At home, too. Just a lot of daily random fluctuations below 50 or so, but I still think the NET doesn't reward tough schedules.

Tulane isn't bad though- going into yesterday they were #108. Ron Hunter(the old Georgia St coach)- has done a pretty good job.
stever20

Postby FenwayFriar » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Billyjack let me just say you aren't the hero we deserve but the the hero we need right now. Haven't seen a posterized dunk like the one you just did to stever since Vince Carter over that French dude at the Olympics. Can we just start a AAC thread and leave it there for Stever to talk to himself? I want billyjack to be able to spend his time researching stats and information on... hmmm Big East teams rather than a bunch of random a** teams no one has ever cared about yet still somehow keep showing up on this BIG EAST board. What a concept: Big East talk on a Big East board. #VivaBJack
FenwayFriar

Postby herodotus » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:48 pm

marquette wrote:
herodotus wrote:When talking about AAC teams historically other than UConn, only three are worthy of discussion. Memphis, which is dirty as hell, but has won a lot of games since the 70s. Cincy, which other than a dry spell between Catlett, and Huggins, has been a consistently good program for 60 years, and Houston, who until recently had been dry as long as DePaul, and who fell harder than St. John's, but who from 1965, to 1984 was better than all four of the programs I just mentioned. 5 Final Fours, 2 Championship Games, and 13 trips to the NCAAs back when it was much harder to get in. None of the 4 I mentioned really come close, not even St. John's under Louie, which tells you how good that run was. Wichita has a long way to go to get into the conversation. Nice program though. A lot in common with our Creighton. Not as consistent, but has reached a bit higher.

I am no AAC apologist by any stretch, but I think you have to add Temple to that list. 33 NCAA tournament appearances and 8 Elite 8's (yes, 3 of them were before 1960).

You are 100% correct. They were especially good under Chaney.
herodotus

Postby stever20 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:58 pm

herodotus wrote:
marquette wrote:

You are 100% correct. They were especially good under Chaney.

just never could quite get over that hump.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board