How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby NJRedman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:10 pm

This is Philly in a nutshell. Their insecurity and little brother syndrome they have with NYC.

1. No one was talking shit about Jay.

2. No one said he was on the hot seat.

3. Now that you mention it though he and Nova are chokers just like every other team in Philly.

4. You Nova posters are insecure morons who literally are upset because Jay was named in a thread about every coach in the conference. If you actually read the post I said his seat is cold and you all lost your shit because you're stupid.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:26 pm

ahhh, NJRedman being NJRedman. hahahaha
stever20

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:28 pm

Not gonna get in to the whole Nova vs St. John's madness. I believe we have an excellent group of coaches in this league.
*Leitao was a questionable hire at first, but at least he has experienced success and was DePaul's last successful coach so he knows what he's doing there. I've heard nothing but great things about him and from what I can see, he's a no-BS coach unlike Purnell, who could be just the kick in the butt (sorry couldn't think of a better term) DePaul needs.
*Mullin has zero coaching experience. But like from Leitao at DePaul, I've heard nothing but excellent things about him at St. John's. He connects well with players and is determined to turn them into good players. He also really wants to build a big red wall around NYC to and keep the highly touted NYC recruits in NYC. Unlike Lavin, Mullin is a New York man and Mullin is another no-BS coach.
*McDermott is by no means on any hot seat at all. Rough year last year? Absolutely. So many heartbreaking losses. Lack of BigEast talent and the lack of a closer was their undoing. Last year, most of the team was recruited for the Missouri Valley. This team still has MVC recruits but are now adding more BigEast talent to the squad. Like previously mentioned, it was Macs coaching that kept them in the games, just got beat in the end by teams with a closer. He has a clean locker room, he kept the positive culture intact despite all of the adversity, and simply never lost his team.
*Wright is without a doubt, the best coach in the conference. Won't say much here.
*JT3 is another one of the conferences better coaches. Not gonna say much here either.
*Holtmann is another coach that I'm very high on, despite being at Butler for a short time. So far, he's exceeded expectations for Butler last year and he's done an excellent job recruiting. He's pulled in FOUR 2016 recruits already. That's just absurd. He's shown he can develop good relationships with players and develop them. He's embraced the 'Butler Way'.
*Mack is another very good coach who's a fantastic recruiter. Xavier never suffers from a dearth of big-time talent. He's led the Muskies to appearances in the dance and of course some S16's. That of course has led to other big programs trying to lure him away, and if that's the case for your coach, he's probably really good.
*Cooley is easily one of the more underrated coaches in the country. He's great at developing players, doing more with less, and establishing relationships with his players and getting them to play as a TEAM. He's done a great job of turning this Providence program around after spending time in the basement under Keno Davis.
*Wojo has limited experience as a head coach and his first year was rough but like McDermott, he never lost his team. He's been doing a great job of recruiting and he played for and coached with a legendary coach for a long time at Duke. He's a very fiery and passionate coach who will get the most out of his players and he doesn't take any BS.
*Finally, there's Willard. The lone lame duck in the conference. Easily the hottest seat in the conference. He's been there for 5 years and still hasn't been anywhere near a Dance bid. He got off to a good start last season but the team clearly blew up on him and that whole team gave up. Now he's lost some of his most significant players and he isn't adding much either. The dude is lucky he still has a job. It's do-or-die time for him.

Bottom Line: We got some damn good coaches in this league!! Apologies for the long post. Go Big East!
OmahaGuy

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:58 pm

NJRedman wrote:This is Philly in a nutshell. Their insecurity and little brother syndrome they have with NYC.

1. No one was talking shit about Jay.

2. No one said he was on the hot seat.

3. Now that you mention it though he and Nova are chokers just like every other team in Philly.

4. You Nova posters are insecure morons who literally are upset because Jay was named in a thread about every coach in the conference. If you actually read the post I said his seat is cold and you all lost your shit because you're stupid.

5 Coaches since Jay Wright took over at Villanova in 2001.....5. Not a single tournament win since 2000.....not 1. Jay Wright his first year brought in Randy Foye, Allen Ray, Jason Fraser, and Curtis Sumpter, those players went on to a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8, both teams losing to the eventual National Champion. I have followed your recruiting, it is decent, but nothing special. What is special is how you guys think you have a shot at Rawle Alkins. I mean that is downright adorable. Not delusional at all.

I don't know where the "insecure" comes in, but when a St. John's fan starts to call out Villanova as chokers, there is LITERALLY not even a word to describe what St. John's is if Villanova is in fact "chokers". Maybe "disaster"?

My friend who is a St. John's fan his whole life was texting me that Jay was classless last year after we completely annihilated you in Philly. He would probably call me "insecure" as well when I point out the facts about the HUGE gap between Villanova and St. John's basketball, because that is apparently being "insecure" and just not trying to open the eyes of somebody who thinks it is still 1986.

You guys are great though, have fun dreaming of a legitimate team in fantasyland, and we will continue to enjoy our legitimate team in the real world.

Bring up early exits again, we still won more tournament games last year during our early exit, than St. John's has in 15 years......15.

I am done here. I look forward to another subpar year of St. John's basketball! Actually, subpar might be an improvement. GO REDMEN!
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby hoyahooligan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:25 pm

His father is a legend at GTown and he has had success but he has the same issue as Nova but without the same level of reg season success.

Wright: 3 BE regular season championships one BET Championship. NCAAs 10/14 years 1 year of missed postseason

JT3: 3 BE regular season championships one BET Championship. NCAAs 8/11 years no missed postseasons

They've had exactly the same amount of regular season success after last year and prior to that JT3 had had more regular season success than Jay Wright since Jay added his first BET and 3rd regular season championship last year.
hoyahooligan

Postby Xudash » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Original Thread Question:

On a scale of 1 (Ice cold) to 10 (Red hot) how is each of our ten coaches seats? I don't know how each fan base feels about their coaches so I'm just guessing. How do you guys feel about your coach and the others in the league?

1/Ice Cold: Wright, JTIII, Mack, Cooley. Logic: Overall performance, primarily. The first two have settled in on their terms, Mack can do that if he wants/continues; same with Cooley.

3/Cold: Wojo, Mullin, Holtman. Logic: Relatively new or brand new. Wojo and Holtman already demonstrating long-term potential. Mullin is legacy-boy central.

4/Cool: McDermott. Logic: Creighton added nicely to the BE story in its first year. McD fought hard last year with many close losses, and he's transitioning into true BE talent. Class guy to boot.

6/Warming: Leitao. Logic: IMHO, he's here out of the gate, because he's a retread and because it's DePaul. Any DePaul coach goes ball and chain mode with me until DePaul gets a new AD.

9/Hot: Williard. Logic: no logic required, the data speak loudly as it is.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:58 am

hoyahooligan wrote:His father is a legend at GTown and he has had success but he has the same issue as Nova but without the same level of reg season success.

Wright: 3 BE regular season championships one BET Championship. NCAAs 10/14 years 1 year of missed postseason

JT3: 3 BE regular season championships one BET Championship. NCAAs 8/11 years no missed postseasons

They've had exactly the same amount of regular season success after last year and prior to that JT3 had had more regular season success than Jay Wright since Jay added his first BET and 3rd regular season championship last year.

Wright and JTIII do have very comparable resumes'. Both are also the only current BE coaches to have made a FF (or even an E8 I believe). Tourney record: Wright 14-10 (in 14 years); JTIII 10-8 in 11 years. Like the programs they lead I believe both are a slight notch above others in the conf. I think that the BE has a very good collection of coaches actually from top to bottom. If this were a thread about actual coaching rankings though, I would rank accordingly:

Tier 1 - JTII & Wright
Tier 2 - Mack, Holtman, Cooley, McDerm., Wojo
Tier 3 (or the jury is still out tier) - Mullin, Laeto
Tier 4 - Willard (I believe the only true coach on the hot seat, but he has an opportunity to change that this year)
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:26 am

I really think people are overestimating the hotness of Coach Willards seat. He just pulled in a 4 star recruit who is likely bringing another 4 star recruit with him. And isn't he in good with the AD? I don't know SH's history but seems to me Willard has got a longer leash than we think.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Burrito » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:24 am

Willard's biggest weakness was his recruiting. That has picked up in last couple of years. The pirates were looking pretty good the first half of last year before the chemistry issues surfaced. Some people think this is a make or break year for him but I would hold off on judgement until this sophomore class has graduated. Sort of what St Johns did with Lavin's big recruiting class (which just graduated).
Burrito

Postby Jet915 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:54 am

I think if he can grab Aiken along with Powell, he probably bought himself atleast another year...
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board