Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby adoraz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:Hardship waivers being handed out left and right. Any of the naysayers want to revise their thoughts on Heron's chances?

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/u ... bcbb7.html

I've already said I think he's going to get it....

BUT- I would say for this one- it's at least somewhat due to a coaching change- which isn't the same as what's going on with Heron.......

That's fair, also didn't know you changed your mind previously.

I think with all that has happened over the past 3 or 4 months, Heron should get it fairly easily. A year ago? Very doubtful.

If Heron doesn't get the waiver, something is seriously wrong with SJU.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby REDMEN1415 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:It doesn't matter if Heron gets his waiver...Johnnies gonna Johnnie and finish 7th.

2018-19 Big East projected final standings… (gtmo, 15 August 18)

1) Providence
2) Creighton
3) Butler
4) Xavier
5) Villanova
6) Marquette
7) St Johns Ponds, Simon, & Clark are back. Picked up a top juco in LJ Figueroa. Big class including 2 transfers in Dixon and Keita, and RS Diatke. Mullin has talent on the roster. Can he coach ’em up? Is Mullin history also?
8) Georgetown
9) DePaul
10) Seton Hall

If SJU finishes 7th with Ponds, Simon, Heron, Clark, and Keita.
With a muchhh better bench.
Then Mullin needs to go.
REDMEN1415

Postby adoraz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:41 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:It doesn't matter if Heron gets his waiver...Johnnies gonna Johnnie and finish 7th.

2018-19 Big East projected final standings… (gtmo, 15 August 18)

1) Providence
2) Creighton
3) Butler
4) Xavier
5) Villanova
6) Marquette
7) St Johns Ponds, Simon, & Clark are back. Picked up a top juco in LJ Figueroa. Big class including 2 transfers in Dixon and Keita, and RS Diatke. Mullin has talent on the roster. Can he coach ’em up? Is Mullin history also?
8) Georgetown
9) DePaul
10) Seton Hall

If SJU finishes 7th with Ponds, Simon, Heron, Clark, and Keita.
With a muchhh better bench.
Then Mullin needs to go.

Yep, and I'd go a bit further. Mullin needs to go if they don't make the NCAAs, even if Heron is ineligible.

If GTMO's predictions hold up, then half the BE coaches may be on the hot seat.

Maybe Willard would get a bit of a break, but nobody else.

Edit: actually this will only be Ewing's second year, so that result would be bad but wouldn't be enough to get him on the hot seat quite yet. It'd start warming up, though...
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:50 am

To be totally honest, St. John's has as much talent as everyone else even without Heron to win the Big East championship except probably Nova and even that is debatable. Nova's strength is their coaching and cohesiveness, but on paper St. John's is every bit as talented (I know on paper usually means nothing). With Heron, if Mullin has any idea what he's doing, this is a team that has Big East championship/Sweet 16/top 25 potential, however they will only go as far as coaching can get us. That's the big problem IMO. This is finally the year it will confirm whether or not our coaches can cut it. If they don't make the tourney at a minimum even without Heron, this staff will likely never do well. If they don't make the tourney with Heron, they should all be fired on the spot IMO or encouraged to resign. A good coach would make us look like old school UConn heavy with great guards all over. This season will tell all we need to know.
MullinMayhem

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:42 am

hey gtmo - just how confident are you in this Seton Hall 10th place pick?
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:06 am

I think one problem St John's will have regardless of Heron is they just don't have any size. I think there's just going to be some teams that it's a brutal matchup with for them. The Owens loss IMO is the one that really hurts and if St John's doesn't do well this year- we're going to look back at that one as the reason why...

One thing that made Uconn so great with those guards was they always had good defensive bigs to back them up. Uconn in 2011 was the #7 offensive rebounding team in the country. In both 2011 and 2014 they were in the top 10 in 2 point field goal defense. St John's just won't have that with their total lack of size. St John's was one of the 50 worst rebounding teams in the country last year both offensively and defensively. And they could easily be worse this year.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:15 pm

SH in 10th? Not confident at all. DePaul and Georgetown also want that spot so it will be a real battle for 10th.
DePaul with "tradition" and Gtwn with Ewing, lol. :lol: 8-)

...eh? Oh I get it... you wanted to place a sidebet huh? I don't gamble.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby billyjack » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:04 pm

i mentioned once before that Ed Cooley was a huge fan of Keita's game, so i think he is being overlooked. He may have regressed under Frank Martin and won't have the benefit of Cooley coaching him, but Keita has talent.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:02 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:SH in 10th? Not confident at all. DePaul and Georgetown also want that spot so it will be a real battle for 10th.
DePaul with "tradition" and Gtwn with Ewing, lol. :lol: 8-)

...eh? Oh I get it... you wanted to place a sidebet huh? I don't gamble.

No gambling. I was mostly just trying to figure out if you made your picks with a RAND() function or a dartboard lol
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby REDMEN1415 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 pm

stever20 wrote:I think one problem St John's will have regardless of Heron is they just don't have any size. I think there's just going to be some teams that it's a brutal matchup with for them. The Owens loss IMO is the one that really hurts and if St John's doesn't do well this year- we're going to look back at that one as the reason why...

One thing that made Uconn so great with those guards was they always had good defensive bigs to back them up. Uconn in 2011 was the #7 offensive rebounding team in the country. In both 2011 and 2014 they were in the top 10 in 2 point field goal defense. St John's just won't have that with their total lack of size. St John's was one of the 50 worst rebounding teams in the country last year both offensively and defensively. And they could easily be worse this year.

Yeah, it would be nice to have more size, but during SJU's elite run, Tyrone Grant was their center at 6'7.
That team had quick hands on the defensive side causing opponents to commit turnover like crazy.
REDMEN1415

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board